PDA

View Full Version : Turf Tiger ammeter PEGGED, blows fuse

Jet boater
04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I have a 8-9 year old Scag Turf Tiger. Has a 25 HP Kohler. Running it for the first time this season, after about 10 minutes of mowing, the blade clutch dropped out but the engine kept running.

I noticed that the ammeter was pegged and it had blown (melted!) one of the 20 Amp fuses on the back of the operator panel.

Things I've checked:
Removed both battery terminals and cleaned. They looked OK.
Checked the battery ground to the engine block. This was slightly loose. I cleaned and tightened.

The battery was replaced middle of last year.

After cleaning the terminals and replacing the fuse, I was able to finish mowing, BUT the ammeter will still showing around 8-10 amps all the time. (If I recall, this normally would show around 2-3 amps)

Would anyone have any suggestions on areas to troubleshoot?

Thank you!!!:usflag:

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Would anyone have any suggestions on areas to troubleshoot?

Yep,

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kohler/CV/KohlerTwinStatorTest.jpg

Good Luck

Jet boater
04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks. I'll give the test a try and see what I get.
After you posted I found the same manuals on the Kohler site! Got me pointed in the right direction.

Bill Kapaun
04-07-2008, 05:56 PM
"After cleaning the terminals and replacing the fuse, I was able to finish mowing, BUT the ammeter will still showing around 8-10 amps all the time. (If I recall, this normally would show around 2-3 amps)"

IF the battery was noticeably discharged from the previous problem, it would likely show a higher charge rate until the battery is recharged, The charge rate SHOULD taper off the longer you run. If it doesn't, then you still have a problem.

Jet boater
04-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Well before I started into the above test procedures, I went through checking more connections and terminals. Found another loose ground on the ground wire to the regulator! I'm not up enough on the circuits of the mower to conclude that was the problem, but now my ammeter is showing around 5 amps instead of 8-10 amps. I'll try another mow and see how things go.

Thanks again.

P.Services
04-07-2008, 08:41 PM
mine did the same exact thing, it was the voltage regulator.