PDA

View Full Version : Pulley Problem..help

SlickTrick
04-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I have Vtwin 19.5 motor on my craftsman. The problem is with the pulley under the motor. The bolt that goes up into the pully towards the motor will not stay tight, like it's striped out. Bolt finally came out and pulley fell down. My question is how I go about fixing it? Surly there is a way to fix it.

JimQ
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
HeliCoil 'ought to do the trick.

http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm

Q

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Take the pulley all the way off, Look down the center where the crank rides. You will most likely find the stamped key area worn causing it to move back and forth on the crankshaft. If this is the case there is no way I've seen/heard to keep this worn pulley tight other than replacement. Also check the crank key way slot for wear and your center bolt threads.

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Let me try to make more sense. After looking at the manual and parts list so I can call the parts the right thing. The bolt goes thru the electric clutch and into the engine pulley which from what i can tell the the engine pully has the threads. With that being said could I just replace the engine pulley with a new one (Part would cost me $23.75 thru craftsman) and a new bolt. Question is how hard is it to change the engine pulley?
Ok another question, when the bolt fell out it broke 2 of the 3 flat bands(ones that angles different ways) that are ribbed(mispelled) into the pulley that the clutch sets into. My father inlaw told me he had one just like it that would work. But just incase for some reason that it won't does anyone know where I could get a used one on the net or a place to buy a new you cheaper the craftsman. They want $266.00 for a new one.

OK Slick, You pulled a Trick.....

You were calling the PTO CLUTCH a pulley therefor on most units with a crank pulley it is referred to as a engine STACK pulley (two pulley's made together) so disregard my previous post.

If your father in-law has a PTO clutch that looks just like yours with the same size pulley use it, If it isn't you will need another.

Leave the drive (upper) pulley alone the threads are in the crank. But, Going over-sized instead of a heli-coil will not let you use the big thick flat washer that should be used to hold the clutch up.

SlickTrick
04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
They are not actually made together.The electric clutch sits on top of the pulley that runs the mower belt. Them 2 the clutch and mower pulley are made as one. Then the clutch and mower pulley which is togehter goes up agaisnt the the engine pulley that you call a crank pulley. So the bolt slides thru the clutch pulley into the crank the pulley. And I need to use the heli-coil.

Sorry for all the misunderstanding and I'm Thankful for your time and Help.

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Sorry for all the misunderstanding

Dude, You have meee lost now. I know what parts you have on your unit and how they go on. Post the model number off this thing (which I should of asked for at first :hammerhead:) so I can try to explain. And yes a helicoil as Jim posted is the proper fix.

SlickTrick
04-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Here is a electric clutch pulley on ebay. It shows a diagram of what I'm talking about. The Parts numbers are 20,65,9,and 63. I'm calling 9 a clutch eletric belt pulley for the mower belt. 63 is the engine belt pulley or crank pulley. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220219996751&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012
Hope this helps
Thanks.

SlickTrick
04-07-2008, 08:40 PM
By the way model number is 917.256660

Restrorob
04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm calling 9 a clutch eletric belt pulley for the mower belt. 63 is the engine belt pulley or crank pulley

OK, Below is what you have by the proper names except the "Special" washer I called it because a few regular thin washers stacked together will not hold properly. You must have the thick washer.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Sears/SearsTractorClutchMounting.jpg

SlickTrick
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I have the big flat washer. I just wonder what caused the bolt to strip out the threads in the crankshaft. Makes me think i might as well go ahead and change out the drive pulley also. What you think? Anyhow I'm not a small engine guy and don't trust myself rethreading the shaft, so I guess i'm going to take it to my buddys machine shop and let him or one of his guys handle that for me.
I want to Thank You Restrorob and other great folks on here for helping me.