PDA

View Full Version : Looking for In-Line Pump! Where to Find?

SLC, LLC
04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I am in search of like an in-line pump to pump water out of a water tank. We have a 500 gallon poly water tank that we use to water trees, shrubs, flowers, etc. in landscape beds for a subdivision and different things. Does anyone know of either a gas powered or electric motor that can be hooked up to the tank to perform this job? I currently stick a sump pump down in the top of the tank, and pump from there. This works, I would just like something a little more setup for the job.

pinto n mwr
04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
northern tool, transfer pump, depending on you application hook it up to a garden hose reel or larget dia hose. If not 80000 dollar water truck

cgaengineer
04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Does your poly tank have a drain valve? If so you can hook pump directly inline on the lower valve and not have to worry about priming. I have a 4 hp gas water pump that pumps about 150 GPM and will fill my 325 gallon poly tank in a couple of minutes. I used this setup as you did, but I watered my new sod during the drought last year when nobody else could water and it worked really well.

How are you filling your tank? Are you using a hydrant or are you getting your water from a lake? If you are getting from lake you will need to convert the tank over to standard PVC connections (NorthernTools has these adapters) so that you can use quick disconnects on the pump...otherwise it maybe easier to have 2 pumps, one to fill and one to empty.

JohnnyRoyale
04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
We hooked up a 3 inch Honda pump on quick disconnects to our 1200 gallon tank, and connect fire hose and a nozzle to the other end, perfect for watering sod, trees, etc. The tank is mounted on a platform we built and slide it into our tandem dump trailer. Great for on site work, but I wouldnt take it on the road full. We can quickly disconnect everything to free up the pump and motor so we could use it if need be without the tank...FYI, the fittings are quite expensive, but worth it. BTW, we also created a manifold to allow us to hook up to either left or right side, as well as a garden hose, should it be needed. Nice little setup...if the snow melts, i'll post a pick if your interested. We also added a checkplate tool box to the platform to store hoses, nozzels etc...out of sight, out of mind.

SLC, LLC
04-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Does your poly tank have a drain valve? If so you can hook pump directly inline on the lower valve and not have to worry about priming. I have a 4 hp gas water pump that pumps about 150 GPM and will fill my 325 gallon poly tank in a couple of minutes. I used this setup as you did, but I watered my new sod during the drought last year when nobody else could water and it worked really well.

How are you filling your tank? Are you using a hydrant or are you getting your water from a lake? If you are getting from lake you will need to convert the tank over to standard PVC connections (NorthernTools has these adapters) so that you can use quick disconnects on the pump...otherwise it maybe easier to have 2 pumps, one to fill and one to empty.

We hooked up a 3 inch Honda pump on quick disconnects to our 1200 gallon tank, and connect fire hose and a nozzle to the other end, perfect for watering sod, trees, etc. The tank is mounted on a platform we built and slide it into our tandem dump trailer. Great for on site work, but I wouldnt take it on the road full. We can quickly disconnect everything to free up the pump and motor so we could use it if need be without the tank...FYI, the fittings are quite expensive, but worth it. BTW, we also created a manifold to allow us to hook up to either left or right side, as well as a garden hose, should it be needed. Nice little setup...if the snow melts, i'll post a pick if your interested. We also added a checkplate tool box to the platform to store hoses, nozzels etc...out of sight, out of mind.

Guys-

Both os these provided a great deal of information. Thank you very much. If you have a picture - that would be awesome. I am filling from a fire hose. Our town has a "water shed" that you can put a quarter into and it squirts out 25 gallons through a quick connect fire hose setup. No, we do not live in the sticks, but more a rapidly growing community. HAHA! Anyways, do either of you know where I can look to find these pumps, and/or also what kind of price range we are talking about?

cgaengineer
04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Guys-

Both os these provided a great deal of information. Thank you very much. If you have a picture - that would be awesome. I am filling from a fire hose. Our town has a "water shed" that you can put a quarter into and it squirts out 25 gallons through a quick connect fire hose setup. No, we do not live in the sticks, but more a rapidly growing community. HAHA! Anyways, do either of you know where I can look to find these pumps, and/or also what kind of price range we are talking about?

How much use are you thinking for this pump? If its not an everyday thing Tractor Supply has a nice one with a Honda engine and also a cheaper one with a Honda clone (Looks just like it). NorthernTool also has several pmps ranging from a few gallons per minute to a few thousand GPM. The pump I have is about 150 GPM at about 40-50 PSI...a decent amount of water and my 325 gallon tank fills quite fast from my watering hole.

I have only one picture of my setup and I will have to locate it...if you search my posts from last year around July-September you will find them.

cgaengineer
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Yeah 1200 gallons on on any trailer would be alot for driving around. 325 gallons on a tandem axle trailer was a tough pull with my Tacoma 4x4.

JohnnyRoyale
04-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah 1200 gallons on on any trailer would be alot for driving around. 325 gallons on a tandem axle trailer was a tough pull with my Tacoma 4x4.

The trailer has 2-7000# axles, and is pulled on site with a beefed up F-350 or s/a dump, any of our other trucks will get it to the job empty.

JohnnyRoyale
04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
You'll be into it for a couple of hundred bucks for sure. Forget the clone hondas, they're useless. Go with the real thing. We have an old (at least 15 year old) Honda pump on one of our spray tanks, and it fires up on first pull every time.

SLC, LLC
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
loactaion of where to get one of these things? It will not be used everyday, so that is why I would rather not lift a ton of money into it.