PDA

View Full Version : Lesco stores "stealing" each other's customers ?!?

Marcos
04-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Any of you ever have this happen to you at Lesco...either before OR after the buyout ?!?
(I hadn't...But I hadn't "shopped around" :rolleyes: at other Lesco's before...to know it could or couldn't be done)

I haven't been a regular at Lesco since before the Deere buyout, but I went into an older established Cincy store two weeks ago to get some pricing on some of the ester herbicide I'll need to start off.
I wanted to meet the new manager and to see if they were competitive with Three Way Ester cases.

They weren't. And the new guy there proved himself to be unorganized manager, and complete idiot while I was there.

Well, this morning I had some errands up north of Cincinnati, and one big job along the way.
So I stop in at the store up near Miamisburg to pick up some starter fert.
Just for farts and giggles...I asked the manager at the counter THERE what price I would pay for 5 cases of t.w.ester.

Guess what ?!?
HE QUOTED ME $35 / CASE CHEAPER THAN THE CINCINNATI LESCO, WHICH IS WHERE I DID ALL MY BUSINESS BEFORE.... FOR YEARS !

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

no_longer_lurker
04-07-2008, 07:04 PM
who knows? if you keep travelin north they might start payin you to take it off their hands?

of course I'm joking...but I have had simular experiences with lesco stores

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Same deal i have paid $1.49 a # for trigold and a few days later this spring $1.29....typical lesco keeping the customer first.

Runner
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Yep. 20 different price structures, for 20 different people.

pinto n mwr
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
go and get quotes from all the stores in town and only buy from the closest. Their system is universal for any store. If you were quote $20 at one and $30 at the closest the $20 one should come up at the $30 dollar store.

Ric
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep. 20 different price structures, for 20 different people.

Runner

That has always been my grip with Lesco.

lawnguru12
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Guys, if your interested my company sells all your herbicides/fert/pesticides...if you interested in pricing give me a buzz....thanks

Marcos
01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Guys, if your interested my company sells all your herbicides/fert/pesticides...if you interested in pricing give me a buzz....thanks

This guy's using threads with JD/ Lesco & hitch-hiking on them to pedal stuff.
In other words, he's a parasite.
Ignore him.

JB1
01-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I was in some round table discussions at a John Deere meeting and this was brought up several times and all I heard was we are working on it,have heard that since the buyout.

Marcos
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I was in some round table discussions at a John Deere meeting and this was brought up several times and all I heard was we are working on it,have heard that since the buyout.

:laugh:

funny man!

lawnguru12
01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Sorry, not intending to pedal...just throwing suggestions out there. thanks

americanlawn
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
We are blessed with two of the best guys in the industry. Both are original LESCO experts who (thankfully) continue to serve us. The name of the store has changed to JDL, but my "LESCO" friends continue to go out of their way.........not only providing the best service, but also very competitive pricing. These guys are as honest & helpful as it gets, and their experience is quite evident every time I call them or visit their store.
BTW this JDL store is in Clive, IA. I'm certain anybody who has done business with this store knows the two guys I'm talking about. Never heard one negative comment about 'em......always 100% positive. We'll be buying from them this year. :usflag::usflag:

LawnoftheMonth
01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Sorry, not intending to pedal...just throwing suggestions out there. thanks

I'd be interested in some pricing info. bryan@lawnofthemonth.net

Hissing Cobra
01-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Any of you ever have this happen to you at Lesco...either before OR after the buyout ?!?
(I hadn't...But I hadn't "shopped around" :rolleyes: at other Lesco's before...to know it could or couldn't be done)

I haven't been a regular at Lesco since before the Deere buyout, but I went into an older established Cincy store two weeks ago to get some pricing on some of the ester herbicide I'll need to start off.
I wanted to meet the new manager and to see if they were competitive with Three Way Ester cases.

They weren't. And the new guy there proved himself to be unorganized manager, and complete idiot while I was there.

Well, this morning I had some errands up north of Cincinnati, and one big job along the way.
So I stop in at the store up near Miamisburg to pick up some starter fert.
Just for farts and giggles...I asked the manager at the counter THERE what price I would pay for 5 cases of t.w.ester.

Guess what ?!?
HE QUOTED ME $35 / CASE CHEAPER THAN THE CINCINNATI LESCO, WHICH IS WHERE I DID ALL MY BUSINESS BEFORE.... FOR YEARS !

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here we go - ANOTHER thread that bashes Lesco/John Deere Landscapes and it's started by none other than MARCOS, who's been grinding an ax with them since the dawn of man. When will it ever end?:dizzy:

Marcos, in your thread, you stated that the Manager was new, unorganized, and was an idiot. Obviously, people make mistakes - especially if they're new. If you're so adamant that Lesco/JDL can't fill your needs, why do you even go there for anything?

Marcos
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Here we go - ANOTHER thread that bashes Lesco/John Deere Landscapes and it's started by none other than MARCOS, who's been grinding an ax with them since the dawn of man. When will it ever end?:dizzy:

Marcos, in your thread, you stated that the Manager was new, unorganized, and was an idiot. Obviously, people make mistakes - especially if they're new. If you're so adamant that Lesco/JDL can't fill your needs, why do you even go there for anything?

Nice job Cobra, digging up old bones from 21 months ago! :hammerhead:
And BTW...I have absolutely no reason to go to Lesco-eaten-by-a-Deere. The local grapevine has it that prices & overall customer service in the Cincy stores stink now worse than ever.
Word has it that a lot of the time the guys behind the counter have little clue what they're talking about & have sometimes been caught bull&h!+ing

Hissing Cobra
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Nice job Cobra, digging up old bones from 21 months ago! :hammerhead:
And BTW...I have absolutely no reason to go to Lesco-eaten-by-a-Deere. The local grapevine has it that prices & overall customer service in the Cincy stores stink now worse than ever.
Word has it that a lot of the time the guys behind the counter have little clue what they're talking about & have sometimes been caught bull&h!+ing

Nothing wrong with that, as it's probably been 21 months since the last time you slammed them. :weightlifter:

If you have no reason to go to them, why did you? If you're not happy with them, don't bother dealing with them. It sounds like you visit them just so that you'll have crap to post all over the internet in regards to how they do business - how their pricing sucks, their equipment is made overseas, their managers are terrible, the equipment is terrible, etc..etc..etc...

Your "local grapevine" comments are all hearsay. Where's the proof?

Marcos
01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Nothing wrong with that, as it's probably been 21 months since the last time you slammed them. :weightlifter:

If you have no reason to go to them, why did you? If you're not happy with them, don't bother dealing with them. It sounds like you visit them just so that you'll have crap to post all over the internet in regards to how they do business - how their pricing sucks, their equipment is made overseas, their managers are terrible, the equipment is terrible, etc..etc..etc...

Your "local grapevine" comments are all hearsay. Where's the proof?

I've gone in there & met with the main sales guy twice over the past 4-5 years to get pricing for organic bridge ferts the relatively small amounts of pre-emergent & selective herbicides we use these days.
I never have intent to buy.
I just do it as a favor for the vendor we buy from now. :waving:

Hissing Cobra
01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I've gone in there & met with the main sales guy twice over the past 4-5 years to get pricing for organic bridge ferts the relatively small amounts of pre-emergent & selective herbicides we use these days.
I never have intent to buy.
I just do it as a favor for the vendor we buy from now. :waving:

So, your TRUE intentions come out. :gunsfirin

You're just using those guys to get pricing and then calling them out on the internet when they don't conform to your expectations. Don't think for one moment that they don't know about that, as people like you are easy to identify. :laugh:

dtl5207
01-31-2010, 08:10 AM
In my experience over the past 25 plus years with Lesco and now JDscapes in buying products there is a lot of room for price negotiation in most cases, especially if you are large volume customer. There can be a huge price difference between buying 2 cases of product vs 20. Don't be afraid to work them a little on price no matter how much you're buying. If they're not sweating after the sale is complete, you paid to much.

dishboy
01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
JDL pricing for organic products is only intended to capture the yuppie Volvo driver thinking they are saving the earth. My response to them was, they sure must not want to sell any of that product do they?

Hissing Cobra
01-31-2010, 04:31 PM
I can't speak for the entire company or any of the other regions, but in my store and my region, we don't sell a lot of Organic products and the demand is not there for us to stock it in our stores. We do have access to many Organic products but for us to stock them, we would need to order it by the truckload and that's a lot of product to store when it won't sell. In order for us to be competitive in that area, we have to order it in very large quantities, which would mean multiple truckloads. Again, it's not economically feasible. If there was a demand for it in our area, believe me, we would stock it! We do offer a "Bridge" products called Sustane 18-1-8 or Bolster 4-4-4 but that's the extent of what we stock in the Organic field.

If a customer approached us for a large order (truckload or more), we would give pricing based on a direct shipment to their storage location. Again, this would only benefit a customer who has the storage space to accept the delivery. As for the pricing of other products, pricing does vary, based on the customer's size. An example would be a customer who spends $100,000 per season vs. a customer who spends $1,000 per season. Obviously, the $100,000 customer will be paying a lot less for his product than the $1,000 customer.

Marcos
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I can't speak for the entire company or any of the other regions, but in my store and my region, we don't sell a lot of Organic products and the demand is not there for us to stock it in our stores. We do have access to many Organic products but for us to stock them, we would need to order it by the truckload and that's a lot of product to store when it won't sell. In order for us to be competitive in that area, we have to order it in very large quantities, which would mean multiple truckloads. Again, it's not economically feasible. If there was a demand for it in our area, believe me, we would stock it! We do offer a "Bridge" products called Sustane 18-1-8 or Bolster 4-4-4 but that's the extent of what we stock in the Organic field.

If a customer approached us for a large order (truckload or more), we would give pricing based on a direct shipment to their storage location. Again, this would only benefit a customer who has the storage space to accept the delivery. As for the pricing of other products, pricing does vary, based on the customer's size. An example would be a customer who spends $100,000 per season vs. a customer who spends $1,000 per season. Obviously, the $100,000 customer will be paying a lot less for his product than the $1,000 customer.

For years on-end I purchased from Lesco either 1 or 2 skids of 4-6-4 Sustane landscapers size, along with whatever else I got direct-shipped on their fall early order program.
So don't tell me there's "no demand" for organics, or organic bridge products in your area......because THERE IS!

You just need to learn that there's different doors you need to knock on, that have different kinds of prospects behind them, other than the type of people you're probably used to seeing at your store every day.

You know you don't have to order truckloads of Sustane to to your store, do you?
Go out & talk to organic landscapers organic mega-gardeners & organic-bridge lawn care buisiness owners & work towards setting up future direct ship orders for later this spring... or fall.

rcreech
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
For years on-end I purchased from Lesco either 1 or 2 skids of 4-6-4 Sustane landscapers size, along with whatever else I got direct-shipped on their fall early order program.
So don't tell me there's "no demand" for organics, or organic bridge products in your area......because THERE IS!

You just need to learn that there's different doors you need to knock on, that have different kinds of prospects behind them, other than the type of people you're probably used to seeing at your store every day.

You know you don't have to order truckloads of Sustane to to your store, do you?
Go out & talk to organic landscapers organic mega-gardeners & organic-bridge lawn care buisiness owners & work towards setting up future direct ship orders for later this spring... or fall.

Marcos,

I disagree with what you say.

Tru Green knocks on more doors then anyone in the lawn community. Their organic sales across the country is less then 5%.

It is a very small market.

You can either fish in a large pond with 2 fish or you can go to the same size pond and catch fish all day. You get to pick where you fish...but I ain't gonna sit around all day just to catch one or two! :)

My question is...why would I want to sell organic when it cost so much more with less then avg results?

Marcos
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Marcos,

I disagree with what you say.

Tru Green knocks on more doors then anyone in the lawn community. Their organic sales across the country is less then 5%.

It is a very small market.

You can either fish in a large pond with 2 fish or you can go to the same size pond and catch fish all day. You get to pick where you fish...but I ain't gonna sit around all day just to catch one or two! :)

My question is...why would I want to sell organic when it cost so much more with less then avg results?

Open your eyes & look around for once, Creech! :hammerhead:
Other than what all that encompasses Ag, organics & bridge-organics is the only part of the green industry that's not been shrinking economically.
Yeah, granted, it's still relatively small in comparison to 'traditional' lawn care depending upon where you're located, but taken as a whole its' growing quite rapidly.

To answer your question...
#1- Because you don't use it, you haven't beat down Mr. G.S. on the price of organics the same way do when you negitiate volumes of Dimension, 32-5-7, et.al.
#2- The results are there. Often slower, particularly in the garden & landscape, but they're there. The results of soil-building organic products are generally quite different results than what historical fertilizer & chemical users are accustomed to seeing.
Depending upon local climate factors, lawns treated with organics are generally slower to come on in terms of color.
Especially if they're applied in cooler period of the year...like now.
But on the other hand, the color curve of organic (and most bridge-ferts) tend to hold l-o-n-g-e-r in turf than synthetic fert, even compared to that of much higher SCU fert like 32-0-10 75%

Organic-based organizations see their successes starting from improved quality of the soil & the microbial life that drives it.
They & their clientele typically realize together that it takes T-I-M-E to build a true sustainable organic lawn / landscape.
They use cultural means of control as the #1 pesticide day in & day out.
Especially for bridge-organic guys...maintaining thick, dense turf is crucial & the daily, selective use of IPM in regards to the use of pesticides is absolutely indepensible.
Instead of constantly beating down weeds, bugs & fungus...they focus on the soil itself & let the rest work itself out.
And if the client's concerned about weeds: the sheer # of plants planted in the ground will generally be enough to keep (most) weeds at bay! :waving:

'Historical' chemical-based organizations condition themselves as well as their employees to see their successes in MUCH shorter-term, 'put-out-the-fire-NOW' applications of product.
They pride themselves on their same day or next day service call...at which they often apply the same chemicals that didn't work so well the last time.
They seldom talk about cultural controls of pests except when they can't find a reason for why their chemical didn't work & are desperately looking for last minute stop-gap measures.
The word "soil" comes up in conversation one time a year: when it's time to core aerate. The rest of the year is spent juicing up top growth so the mowing companies can either cheer or cuss, depending upon the weather! :wall .....sort of like a Chinese fire drill on the lawn...that never ends! :dizzy:

americanlawn
02-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I agree with rcreech..... BTW most folks probably do not realize that he (and I) have family farms in operation where we return "manure" to Mother Earth as a cheap method of returning nutrients to the soil. Prob is, even manure (AKA organic fert) has to be "somehow" be incorporated into the soil profile.

Regarding "lawn care", most land grant universities suggest "mechanical" means to improve soil texture/profile. I figure it's cuz NO PRODUCT can offer a practicable solution unless it "incorporated" into the soil. (where the roots/ growing system is).

Even GOFF courses use mechanical means in order to incorporate stuff.

Bottom line, "throwing sh$t on top of the ground" is impracticable at best. Lot's of "wives tails" out there, and this is one. If it sounds too good to be true, ..............:laugh:

Hissing Cobra
02-01-2010, 05:50 PM

I hate to break it to you but there is NOT a demand in my location or my area for these products. If there were, I would be inundated with requests for these products on a daily basis. Truth is, I'm lucky to get one request per month. Like Rcreech said, "You can either fish in a large pond with 2 fish or you can go to the same size pond and catch fish all day. You get to pick where you fish...but I ain't gonna sit around all day just to catch one or two!" I agree with this statement.

Earlier, you were ripping on us because we couldn't meet your pricing on Organic Fertilizer, yet you never specified which products you were talking about. I responded that we couldn't get them unless we ordered large quanitites. I then replied that I do carry the SUSTANE 18-1-8 and Bolster 4-6-4, as we do sell a limited amount of them each season.

Now all of a sudden you've think that you've "got me" because we don't have to order SUSTANE by the truckload. Well, if you had seen and understood my reply, you would have seen that we do carry those two products in limited quantities and that they're not brought in by full truckloads - they're actually piggy-backed to a large order of something else. If there's other organic products that we do not have a history of selling in my area, a full truckload will be the minimum order.

It's all moot anyway because again, if you're a smaller customer, your pricing will differ from a larger customer.

phasthound
02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
All you need to do to get good pricing on organic-based fertilizers that provide great results is to give me a call. Sold by the tractor trailer load or by the pallet delivered to you. Anyone who's used Nutrients PLUS will tell you they work.

rcreech
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Open your eyes & look around for once, Creech! :hammerhead:
:dizzy:

Marco,

This reminds me of the old african proverb...."he who listens, understands!"

What I am saying is...if there isn't a market I am not going to spend my time trying to find it, and I sure as heck ain't gonna spend any time trying to get into it!

If there isn't a market....that is that!

Out of 500 customers (and 430 of them routine 4-5 app accts) I have only had one customer request organics. And I use a bridge product on them and spray as needed (so not really much different then what I typically do)!

The numbers just ain't there man so say what you want, but you are in a minority!

Marcos
02-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree with rcreech..... BTW most folks probably do not realize that he (and I) have family farms in operation where we return "manure" to Mother Earth as a cheap method of returning nutrients to the soil. Prob is, even manure (AKA organic fert) has to be "somehow" be incorporated into the soil profile.

Regarding "lawn care", most land grant universities suggest "mechanical" means to improve soil texture/profile. I figure it's cuz NO PRODUCT can offer a practicable solution unless it "incorporated" into the soil. (where the roots/ growing system is).

Even GOFF courses use mechanical means in order to incorporate stuff.

Bottom line, "throwing sh$t on top of the ground" is impracticable at best. Lot's of "wives tails" out there, and this is one. If it sounds too good to be true, ..............:laugh:

What? Are you insinuating that organic lawn care companies don't use aerators and/or slice-seeders like you do?
Au contraire mon ami! :nono:

NattyLawn
02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I hate to break it to you but there is NOT a demand in my location or my area for these products. If there were, I would be inundated with requests for these products on a daily basis. Truth is, I'm lucky to get one request per month. Like Rcreech said, "You can either fish in a large pond with 2 fish or you can go to the same size pond and catch fish all day. You get to pick where you fish...but I ain't gonna sit around all day just to catch one or two!" I agree with this statement.

Earlier, you were ripping on us because we couldn't meet your pricing on Organic Fertilizer, yet you never specified which products you were talking about. I responded that we couldn't get them unless we ordered large quanitites. I then replied that I do carry the SUSTANE 18-1-8 and Bolster 4-6-4, as we do sell a limited amount of them each season.

Now all of a sudden you've think that you've "got me" because we don't have to order SUSTANE by the truckload. Well, if you had seen and understood my reply, you would have seen that we do carry those two products in limited quantities and that they're not brought in by full truckloads - they're actually piggy-backed to a large order of something else. If there's other organic products that we do not have a history of selling in my area, a full truckload will be the minimum order.

It's all moot anyway because again, if you're a smaller customer, your pricing will differ from a larger customer.

NO need to start a war here, but people that want organic fert aren't going to Lesco/JDL, except for maybe Marcos, and he claims to get his fert from feed suppliers on the organic forum.

Marcos
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I hate to break it to you but there is NOT a demand in my location or my area for these products. If there were, I would be inundated with requests for these products on a daily basis.

Stop flattering yourself, HC!
No matter what corner of the country you're in..."on a green lawn"...True landscapers know where to get plenty of hard goods other than the globalist-supporting JD/Lesco service centers.

Truth is, I'm lucky to get one request per month. Like Rcreech said, "You can either fish in a large pond with 2 fish or you can go to the same size pond and catch fish all day. You get to pick where you fish...but I ain't gonna sit around all day just to catch one or two!" I agree with this statement.

Then go ahead & sit on your rump & ride out '10 hoping your existing customers come through for you, because with your attitude you'll never know the market segments you're missing out on.

It wasn't just about organic fert, it was about products in general including Momentum. Plus just as importantly, the quality & integrity of Lesco people have taken a major nose dive in the last decade or so. You or Creech can't deny that.

You obviously aren't trying to sell it very hard vs. other products or else you'd be going through multiple skids of it.
You should know better than anyone else on this thread that it is YOU...the salesperson...that draws pictures of success in the customers' mind.
If you've not been properly educated in the benefits of organics and organic-bridge, call your regional mgr and have him call the Sustane rep to get him/her out there to give you & your partner some religion this year!

It's quite understandable that our pricing now at JD/L would be of course for an itty-bitty sized customer because we've not done squat there in a few years.
But because we now do more with compost & meals in turf than we do most anything else in landscape, starting over there would probably be a waste of time.
Until I hear of better quality people manning their Cincy desks & making selling decisions we plan to steer clear.

Marcos
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Marco,

This reminds me of the old african proverb...."he who listens, understands!"

What I am saying is...if there isn't a market I am not going to spend my time trying to find it, and I sure as heck ain't gonna spend any time trying to get into it!

If there isn't a market....that is that!

Out of 500 customers (and 430 of them routine 4-5 app accts) I have only had one customer request organics. And I use a bridge product on them and spray as needed (so not really much different then what I typically do)!

The numbers just ain't there man so say what you want, but you are in a minority!

You have the same general overall handicap; only you're on the opposite side of the counter from Hissing Cobra:
If you don't know much about it or understand how it works very well, you can't very well go out & sell it, now can you?

Ask Gary and/or whoever he's working with up there where you buy at the JD/Lesco north of Dayton.
I'll bet they sell plenty of Sustane in different ways shapes & forms.
Ask them in what form they sell it, who they sell it to (in general), and what it took for them to get to the point where they felt 100% confident in selling it.
I'll bet you if you ask them, they'd say they had to go out and FIND customers in different niches of the industry that would eventually come around to trusting them, ultimately buying Sustane from JD/L in multiple-skid orders!

Marcos
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
NO need to start a war here, but people that want organic fert aren't going to Lesco/JDL, except for maybe Marcos, and he claims to get his fert from feed suppliers on the organic forum.

This is not necessarily true, Natty.
There are plenty of folks out there using various types of Sustane at different points in the season, either as the 1 lone "organic" step in amongst their 5 step program, or exclusively, all season long.
For others, especially newbies, buying Sustane at JD/L is kind of like the initial launching pad toward finding out about the rest of the organic options out there.

Concluding points:
If the people working in a given sales entity don't know about how something works and/or don't care about the product enough, then how on earth can they expect to sell it in any kind of volume?
How can they say there's "not demand" for it when they don't entirely know all the niches of the industry it could be used in?
Doesn't a good salesperson sometimes go out, beat down doors & INSPIRE demand for some of the products they sell?
You bet they do! :waving:

rcreech
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
This is not necessarily true, Natty.
There are plenty of folks out there using various types of Sustane at different points in the season, either as the 1 lone "organic" step in amongst their 5 step program, or exclusively, all season long.
For others, especially newbies, buying Sustane at JD/L is kind of like the initial launching pad toward finding out about the rest of the organic options out there.

Concluding points:
If the people working in a given sales entity don't know about how something works and/or don't care about the product enough, then how on earth can they expect to sell it in any kind of volume?
How can they say there's "not demand" for it when they don't entirely know all the niches of the industry it could be used in?
Doesn't a good salesperson sometimes go out, beat down doors & INSPIRE demand for some of the products they sell?
You bet they do! :waving:

I think you just hit the nail on the head!

When I am selling something I believe in I CAN sell it!

If I don't believe in it...I am not going to sell it!

Therefore it comes back to what we have been talking about!

Why sell someone a program that may cost 50% more when they have less the good weed control. I am not questioning the feeding, but I don't want to apply 400#/acre to get the results that I can get with a great synthetic product!

rcreech
02-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Marcos posted: Plus just as importantly, the quality & integrity of Lesco people have taken a major nose dive in the last decade or so. You or Creech can't deny that.

Marcos,
I have been a true Lesco customer since I have started. Lesco looked out for me when I started and I do think they have the best/consistent product out here.
As far as the integrity and quality of the Lesco people taking a "nose dive" I will totally disagree. I wasn't in the business 10 years ago...but over the last 5 years they have been GREAT!

Gary and his crew have done a great job to take care of me. If I am busy they will deliver and their service has always been top notch!

The prices and service I get a the best!

NOW...I am not real happy about the JDL buyout and it upsets me to see this type of buyout happen. It has put a bad taste in my mouth...but I still can't say enough good about the guys! It isn't the employee's fault they got bought out!

Why do you hate JDL/Lesco so bad?

Marcos
02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Marcos posted: Plus just as importantly, the quality & integrity of Lesco people have taken a major nose dive in the last decade or so. You or Creech can't deny that.

Marcos,
I have been a true Lesco customer since I have started. Lesco looked out for me when I started and I do think they have the best/consistent product out here.
As far as the integrity and quality of the Lesco people taking a "nose dive" I will totally disagree. I wasn't in the business 10 years ago...but over the last 5 years they have been GREAT!

Gary and his crew have done a great job to take care of me. If I am busy they will deliver and their service has always been top notch!

The prices and service I get a the best!

NOW...I am not real happy about the JDL buyout and it upsets me to see this type of buyout happen. It has put a bad taste in my mouth...but I still can't say enough good about the guys! It isn't the employee's fault they got bought out!

Why do you hate JDL/Lesco so bad?

Rodney, 1st & foremost, any vendor I choose to deal with has to know at least as much about the green industry (as a whole) as I do.
You wouldn't expect your N. Dayton sales people to know a whole lot of stuff about your Ag operation, but you probably complement each other in the way that you've had certain green industry experiences some of them haven't, and they know stuff & teach you things you had no idea about in different aspects of the biz.
Don't you agree? :waving:

We want to buy from vendors who consistently have an aura about them that they know exactly what they're talking about; and have painted looks of confidence in their eyes when they look up from their desk to meet ours.
For whatever reason, that stopped happening at the 2 Lescos we bought from approx 5-6 years ago.

You have been lucky enough to have maintained the likes of one Gary S. as your JD/L head sales guy through the '07 Deere buyout & up until now.
Some time when you're running errands, drive south down I-75 and around the I-275 loop.
Stop at any or all of the 5 stores along the way & try to find any JD/L store personnel that have even 1/2 the green industry background, field knowledge & customer skills.
You won't find it.... not even close....probably not until you get clear to the stores that are in Lexington or Louisville.

And of course you're 100% right about the Deere buyout not being Lesco employees' fault.
But that doesn't excuse the aforementioned overall ineptitude.
Plus let's not forget the overall pathetic theme of laziness, tardiness & uncleanliness most of those internet-addicted desk punks projected for their otherwise loyal clientele on a relatively consistent basis.

Evan528
02-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I used to use lesco 100% for all my chemicals. As soon as they were bought out they went downhill...and quickly! They fired off of there seasoned knowledgable managers and replaced them with young inexperienced A-holes that just dont give a damn. Sure they saved a lot of money by doing this but lost many of there loyal customers including myself. Their prices went through the roof and there services became pitiful.

Just a shame too see these Lesco locations that were always extremely helpful and customer oriented go down the drain over night.

ted putnam
02-03-2010, 12:25 AM
It's sad that you guys don't have good Lesco/JDL branches in your area any more and it sounds like most of you have more than one to pick from. I have one in the state. Luckily they are about a 30 minute drive from me and they are totally awesome. They bend over backwards to help me.They let me know when products are on sale and they also let me know when things shouldn't be on sale but still are for whatever reason. They will deliver if I need them to and have even met me when I'm out working in my route to get me product. Greg and Andrew at the Maumelle, Arkansas branch are awesome.

mike174
02-03-2010, 12:59 AM

My experience with Lesco has been poor service unless you're a company that orders by the truck load. They do not care about smaller customers which is obvious by their service and pricing.

rcreech
02-03-2010, 08:36 AM
It's sad that you guys don't have good Lesco/JDL branches in your area any more and it sounds like most of you have more than one to pick from. I have one in the state. Luckily they are about a 30 minute drive from me and they are totally awesome. They bend over backwards to help me.They let me know when products are on sale and they also let me know when things shouldn't be on sale but still are for whatever reason. They will deliver if I need them to and have even met me when I'm out working in my route to get me product. Greg and Andrew at the Maumelle, Arkansas branch are awesome.

I agree Ted!

We must be very fortunate as I have an awesome branch also!

Couldn't ask for any better people and service....and also prices as very good! :)

rcreech
02-03-2010, 08:43 AM
My experience with Lesco has been poor service unless you're a company that orders by the truck load. They do not care about smaller customers which is obvious by their service and pricing.

Think about this with me......

I know what you are saying, but welcome to America!

The more you spend the better you get treated!

That is the same way we treat our customers on pricing!

The larger the lawn, the less is COST per k.

It is the same way in the fert business. If you guy 2 bags it will cost you more then a guy that buys a truckload.

WHY....because the guy that buys 2 bags has 100 questions, and the guy that buys a truckload rarely calls!

It only makes sense to me!!!!!!!!!

Marcos
02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Think about this with me......

I know what you are saying, but welcome to America!

The more you spend the better you get treated!

That is the same way we treat our customers on pricing!

The larger the lawn, the less is COST per k.

It is the same way in the fert business. If you guy 2 bags it will cost you more then a guy that buys a truckload.

WHY....because the guy that buys 2 bags has 100 questions, and the guy that buys a truckload rarely calls!

It only makes sense to me!!!!!!!!!

Except that this newer breed of Lesco employee...a lot of them anyway...have not learned how to nurture those 2 bag customers into truckload customers like their counterparts of a decade or so ago.

They've for the most part forgotten (or worse, were never told about) their vital roles as stewards of knowledge in the Green Industry, the type of roles Lesco co-founders FitzGibbon & Burkhardt set personal examples of in this industry almost a half century ago here in Ohio.

So when you take away these advantagess & throw in the insult of the Deere buyout to boot, what real advantage is there for anyone anymore to go to JD/L vs. competitors with generally identical materials & pricing?

A: none.

Hissing Cobra
02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Eatin' some popcorn.:laugh:

Marcos
02-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Eatin' some popcorn.:laugh:

You HC have nothing to say now only because you know damn well I hit the nail true & square on the head.
You & your partner probably have to call around the country all the time to various JD/L stores for whatever reasons, and you get treated to all sorts of incompetence, unprofessionalism & general apathy, don't you? :waving:

Hissing Cobra
02-04-2010, 07:53 AM
You HC have nothing to say now only because you know damn well I hit the nail true & square on the head.
You & your partner probably have to call around the country all the time to various JD/L stores for whatever reasons, and you get treated to all sorts of incompetence, unprofessionalism & general apathy, don't you? :waving:

I don't have to call around the country all the time for information. I know enough to keep my customers happy and keep them coming back for more. Thankfully, you're not one of them.:clapping:

I have plenty more to say but it's not worth the argument and you're no longer worth my time. You can continue to go to Lesco/JDL stores for no reason at all and then trash them on the internet 'cause you're an internet thug.:hammerhead:

I can't wait for your next thread to bash them. Let me guess, it'll be about price gouging, lazy, sloppy looking employees who only use the internet all day and don't do anything else, dirty stores, lack of knowledge, etc...etc...etc... In short, it won't be any different than any of your other threads that you've started about them.

I've got the popcorn ready, start another one!:laugh:

Marcos
02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
bull crap

I speak or post no lies, HC, just truth to power.

Hissing Cobra
02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I speak or post no lies, HC, just truth to power.

Truth is power? Why did you just lie? I don't know where you got that quote from but it wasn't from me. You show me a post where I typed "Bull Crap". Ya know what? Two can play that game. How's this one for ya?

"My name is Marcos and I'm a liar. I have nothing better to do than to RIP on Lesco and John Deere Landscapes. My words have no basis, as I'm an insignificant customer of their's and shop at a competitor. However, I still go by for price quotes but I won't buy from them because I want major price discounts. Oh, by the way, my local Lesco location is and always has been run by a bunch of no good, internet reading, "performers", yet I still go there for price quotes. Why? So I can go on the internet and bash them some more":hammerhead:

Got your Popcorn out yet? I do and I'm adding Cotton Candy to the mix.:laugh:

americanlawn
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Interesting reading - thanks. Don't know everyone's experiences with LESCO/JDL, but here's ours.

We have a local JDL store (used to be called LESCO), and it's been here for years. I'm still not used to the name "John Deere Landscapes", even though I think very highly of John Deere equipment. :confused:

There are several JDL employees at our Clive, Iowa store, but I always deal with just two of them. Both are "original" LESCO guys with several years of experience. I'll match these two guys up against ANY competitor. They are extremely knowledgeable and very very honest. I can call in an order, and they will deliver it "on their way home after work". Also, I often ask them questions regarding rates, new products, special discounts, etc. This allows us to compare with other suppliers.

Example: About 4 years ago, LESCO deleted their line of 4 x6 "gators" (same as Cub Cadet/similar to JD Gators). LESCO gave away about 2 dozen of these to loyal volume buyers. So we got one for FREE. Retailed for $$ (can't remember), but I sold it on ebay for $7000. (Thanks LESCO)

Currently JDL's pricing is just as competitive with our other two suppliers, and I know their quality is top notch. :usflag:

Maybe we're just lucky. Don't know. I give our JDL store five stars on a five star scale, cuz they don't jack around. They are very serious about their work. five stars :usflag:

mike174
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Except that this newer breed of Lesco employee...a lot of them anyway...have not learned how to nurture those 2 bag customers into truckload customers like their counterparts of a decade or so ago.

They've for the most part forgotten (or worse, were never told about) their vital roles as stewards of knowledge in the Green Industry, the type of roles Lesco co-founders FitzGibbon & Burkhardt set personal examples of in this industry almost a half century ago here in Ohio.

So when you take away these advantagess & throw in the insult of the Deere buyout to boot, what real advantage is there for anyone anymore to go to JD/L vs. competitors with generally identical materials & pricing?

A: none.

Marcos,

I agree. Any dealer, whether mower or chemical, needs to remember that many of their 5 new navigator mowers/yr or truckload buyers today were once small companies & asked "stupid" questions. Dealers need to work with these smaller customers as they grow & become more profitable to the dealer. If not, smaller companies will find a dealer that will. I will check out other JDL/Lesco dealers in my area since there seems to be different service levels location to location.

Also, earlier I wasn't complaining about discounted price for volume....that's just pure economics. Only the service received until you become a volume buyer.

Marcos
02-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Got your Popcorn out yet? I do and I'm adding Cotton Candy to the mix.:laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos
My words have no basis, as I'm an insignificant customer of their's and shop at a competitor.

No way that could've been my post, Cobra.
I wouldn't make an ignorant 3rd grade level grammar error like that! :dizzy:

Marcos
02-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Marcos,

I agree. Any dealer, whether mower or chemical, needs to remember that many of their 5 new navigator mowers/yr or truckload buyers today were once small companies & asked "stupid" questions. Dealers need to work with these smaller customers as they grow & become more profitable to the dealer. If not, smaller companies will find a dealer that will. I will check out other JDL/Lesco dealers in my area since there seems to be different service levels location to location.

Also, earlier I wasn't complaining about discounted price for volume....that's just pure economics. Only the service received until you become a volume buyer.

Wholesale salesmen should be handling customers at every buying level with the same consistent level of overall courtesy & respect.
'Stupid questions' no matter from what level they come from should always should be answered in sincerity.
The person you're talking to may someday either become the next Warren Buffet or decide to close up shop, lie down & die.
Don't take anyone for granted!
Be especially considerate of the newbies that sprout up & grow because they represent the hope of their specific industry's future.
And if one or two of the prize Superstar newbies on your customer list get bought by some nationally-held conglomerate, take it as a compliment, because it was you that helped get learn keys to profitability that helped them to gain that success.

Some businesses grow into giants while others remain small, either because they're struggling to grow or they want to stay small by design.
Most if not all business owners know up & down the line the Darwinist way the game's played...eventually.
I'm not against the way Creech described it:
The big buyers gets the best deals...
It's all about 'survival of the fittest' in American capitalism, right?
Until our Grand Pooh Bah President Barack Hussein Obama formally comes out & announces this nation has formally transitioned into socialism (:dizzy:), that's the way it'll stay.

Airborne Toxic
02-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, your combative arguments are interesting, but because you all have pre-conceived biases it will continue until the end of time. I spent six years in central, OH with LESCO/JDL, three before the buyout and almost three post, before finally getting tired of JDL and moving on to a competitor. Unfortunately all of you are right, except that the common theme among you all is that the quality of personal is related to LESCO and not JDL.

Yes, in Cincinnati, JDL has had a ton of turnover over the past year or two. Yes, JDL does not hire employees of the same caliber as LESCO did, thus, of course the quality at the counter will suffer. I don't know what region Hissing is in, but not even he can argue with significant difference between LESCO guys and JDl guys. Creech is also acutely aware of the different direction JDL has taken LESCO since the merger. I have been in Garys store. 40% is now irrigation and lighting. The fact that gary and chad still provide the level of service they do is a credit to LESCO, gary and chad, and speaks nothing about JDL. In markets where the turnover has occurred, the level of employee and service has drastically changed. However, a couple crappy cincy reps is nothing more than a couple crappy reps in cincy. It says nothing about the reps in dayton, iowa or anywhere else, or the service and knowledge of those respective reps. In columbus, JDL has lost over half of the LESCO guys that where there before the merger, and they all left on their own. And that was in a market that had zero turnover for 5 years. That alone speaks volume about the impact of Deere

In my opinion, customers value relationships. Every company had good reps and every company has bad reps... but its the individual that determines the fate of the company, not vice versa, at least i hope so anyway...

Harley-D
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Air, has it right. But...no one has spoken of vendor loyalty. This may go hand in hand with loyalty to the salemen rather than the vendor but either way this industry is based on relationships from a supplier standpoint. I have unfortunatly seen many relationships go bad because someone thought they could save a penny or dime. They will be sorry because they will need the help of the vendor at some point. And not just with a better price. Maybe finding a part quickly. A salesmen, paid only for his sales, will always be willing to sell anything to anyone. A salemen at a counter of a company, will try and represent that company and sell within the guidelines that company provides. And a lot can be said for customers being faithful to that company and the salesmen at the counter. They can really help you out in more than just sales. We will see what happens but...I am losing faith in our industry because of the people i see in it...on both sides of the counter.

tlg
02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Air, has it right. But...no one has spoken of vendor loyalty. This may go hand in hand with loyalty to the salemen rather than the vendor but either way this industry is based on relationships from a supplier standpoint. I have unfortunatly seen many relationships go bad because someone thought they could save a penny or dime. They will be sorry because they will need the help of the vendor at some point. And not just with a better price. Maybe finding a part quickly. A salesmen, paid only for his sales, will always be willing to sell anything to anyone. A salemen at a counter of a company, will try and represent that company and sell within the guidelines that company provides. And a lot can be said for customers being faithful to that company and the salesmen at the counter. They can really help you out in more than just sales. We will see what happens but...I am losing faith in our industry because of the people i see in it...on both sides of the counter.

Harley-D, Your absolutely right. Unfortunately there are those customers that would turn on their vendor for a few bucks. Of course we all want the best deal on materials we can get. However, building a relationship with those vendors is worth more than getting the best deal. The service we have received over the years with LESCO-JDL is something I value very much. I never have to question the service they have provided. A good salesmen is fair. So is a good customer.

Marcos
02-14-2010, 07:11 PM
In my opinion, customers value relationships. Every company had good reps and every company has bad reps... but its the individual that determines the fate of the company, not vice versa, at least i hope so anyway...

Thanks Airborne.

There used to be a really good Columbus Lesco guy by the name of Tom that we would talk to all the time at CENTS shows & OTF field days.
Is he still around Deere, or was he one of the ones that walked?

I have to differ with you slightly about what happened to Lesco employees, in general.
A gradual watering down of talent began to occur company-wide a few years before the Deere buyout.
They didn't hire nearly as many folks with experience in the field as they once had, instead they shifted their hiring focus toward college graduates that may or may NOT have had green industry as part of their curriculum.
I'm sure this was done in order to save salary money, to some degree.
It was a big gamble: overall sacrificing knowledge & experience for youth & the energy & enthusiasm that goes with it.
But Lesco left lots o' chips on the table when they went that direction.

And let's face it...company-wide it wasn't the stores that drove Lesco stockholders to sell at 14.50 so much as it was the pizz poor sales to golf courses & the never-ending list of stupid ideas & mistakes made in Lesco corporate by idyots like DiMino. :wall

Harley-D
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I also don't believe that it was the stores fault. I would go back to the CFO of Lesco. An inside track on the whole thing showed that the numbers were never correct. Shipping and general company wide overhead was totally mis-allocated. They didn't know their true costs and without that you don't realize your true profits. Their thin profits were even thinner than anyone expected and they were losing money because of it. Golf sales, while poor, were some of the smallest profit margins there. And on top of it, Lesco was self financing alot of those courses and letting them go 8-10 months without paying. That's a lot of unrealized gains to try and run a company on. Low cash flow=low investors=low stock=eventually sell off. Not sure if i'm right but that's my perception. Things may get better with JDL but let's hope so.

LawnTamer
02-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Lesco has always been a Mickey Mouse outfit when it came to price structure. At least before the buyout, they would match other vendors, after the buyout, I've taken in my price list from other vendors, and all they could do was come up with excuses for why they couldn't come close. It's too bad, there are several Lesco products that I really liked.