PDA

View Full Version : How does my approach compare to you guys

NightLightingFX
04-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Here is a project I just got. I am curious to see how my approach compares to what you guys might do. There is very little exterior lighting on this house just the 3 sconces on the garage and two recessed lights in the entry way. Challenges: a) foliage too close to the house, b) Underneath the two windows the molding sticks out quite a bit – too much to put a well light under and graze up. c) I am NOT going to attach any fixtures to the house nor will I cut concrete etc. I am keeping this project simple. The sconces on the garage have screw in light bulb receptacles that aims down, but are also open in the top. Regarding 2) I am thinking I can add a receptacle that aims up, and use a par 20 lamp with screen over the top to bring the brightness level equal to what I would do with 8). On 8) & 2) I want to illuminate the A frame eaves. For 1, 3, 6, 7, 10, I want to up light the columns. For 4 & 5 I am thinking a directional fixture with an adjustable shroud using a linear lens for height. I would soften that light with screen. I would make 9 & 11 match the look of 4 & 5. I am pretty sure this is the approach I am going to take but I am always open for new suggestions. I am a little concerned about #2. I am not sure how difficult it would be to add an up light screw in receptacle. Do any of you know where I can get main line screw in halogen light bulbs (not directional par20 type lamps) that I can put in the sconces that will match the landscape lighting?
~Ned

NiteTymeIlluminations
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
i m not sure why you want halogen screw in but not directionals but you can use the Halogena line. Do a google for Halogena, I'm sure it will come up. You can even get them from Home Depot. I'm not sure if I follow everything else you are doing, sorry not too much time to reread but I thought I'd throw the Halogena lamp line at you.

NightLightingFX
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't want to use directionals because the sconces have an opening in the top and bottom. If I use a directional, we won't get any light spilling out the top of the sconce.
~Ned

NightScenes
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Ned, you can replace the lamp holder with a dual holder that goes up and down and then use directional r 20s. I have done this many times.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Paul is right on replacing the lamp holder (socket) with a dual socket inside the fixture. Gives you an instant up/down light. Only difference is I would use the 35W PAR20 WFL rather then a R20 lamp. (longer lamp life, you can pick your optics and more lumens per watt)

If you cannot change out the sockets in those sconces then upgrade them to an up/down light variety. There are dozens on the market.

You know, with a bit of ladder work, and some trick cable fishing, you could make that house look unique and fabulous from the top down. :)

Regards.

David Gretzmier
04-08-2008, 12:21 AM
It looks like 4,5,9,11 are aimed at an angle, and I'm more of a straight up /down guy when doing homes, and doing angles on plants, rocks, water. I've "cross lighted" before, but usually not my first choice. I like the idea of up and down at the sconces. good luck.

Pro-Scapes
04-08-2008, 01:50 AM
I replied in the aolp forum.