PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Briggs dependability 31hp 35hp

tacoma200
04-07-2008, 07:13 PM
For those of you that own a big block Briggs 31 or 35 hp air cooled engine please report on the dependability of this engine. It has been out several years and Scag and Exmark say they are doing well. We have a few complaints on the forum sometimes about these engines but they seemed rare. One of my dealers in Lexington reported a high percentage of failures today when I talked to them. There is one post on the Exmark forum with a few guys venting about problems if you care to read it. This is information that could be helpful for all of us so please chime in. Please include the hours on you engine if you could. Thanks!

Try to keep it to the two engines listed above because they are made by Daihatsu/Briggs and are a different engine than many of the smaller Briggs line.

tb8100
04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
They are a Toyota/Daihatsu design, made by Mitsubishi, and sold with a Briggs sticker on them. :)

mslawn
04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I will never, ever buy another, mine is talked about in the exmark foirum.......

puppypaws
04-07-2008, 08:57 PM
I will never, ever buy another, mine is talked about in the exmark foirum.......

Could you not have gotten a lemon or is this a widespread problem which can be proven. There is nothing made that can't have a lemon in the bunch.

mslawn
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Could you not have gotten a lemon or is this a widespread problem which can be proven. There is nothing made that can't have a lemon in the bunch.

No lemon, 1st one died before it hit 800hrs on my 72". This one is about to be laid to rest with a little over 1000hrs on my 66".

luckylawnboy
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Best air cooled engine i have ever owned. the fins are big and dont clogg up, it use no oil. We go 100 to 150hrs a change and never add oil. Fuel usage is amazing for the power and production. I blew up 3 generac engines. They start so easy and even in the cold. I have 1300hrs on a 31hp on a 72 lazer. Did i mention the power? Its an amazing engine to me.. we are hard on equipment an trust me its a great engine. MSLAWN?? must be a lemon..Did you break in the oil at 8hrs and change it on a reg basis? HMM well i have had good luck with mine.

ffemt1271
04-07-2008, 10:28 PM
i have not had any problems with mine and its a little over 400 hrs, but i am a maintenance freak and i do all of it myself.

gravedigger5
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't know if this falls into the catagory but I have a 32 HP Briggs on a 72" with only 200 hrs on it. I does use some fuel but like luckylawnboy said its got power. It did have an electrical problem right after I bought it. wire pinched off under one of the shrouds and would not start.

rodfather
04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
i have 3 on 72" z's with absolutely no problems

tacoma200
04-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

puppypaws
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
i have 3 on 72" z's with absolutely no problems

How many hours on each engine?

Zooropa93
04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
They are a Toyota/Daihatsu design, made by Mitsubishi, and sold with a Briggs sticker on them. :)

Briggs did have some input into the design of those engines and has some of their own engineers permanently staffed with Diahatsu.

rodfather
04-08-2008, 05:48 PM
ones at 400, another at 750, and the third just under 1200

tacoma200
04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Briggs did have some input into the design of those engines and has some of their own engineers permanently staffed with Diahatsu.

Briggs had a lot to say in the design and manufacturing of this engine. This is very true. It was a joint venture, not a Daihatsu only design in fact Briggs says it came up with the design. Daihatsu actually did the build so I'm not sure if all this is good or bad.

Envy Lawn Service
04-08-2008, 10:51 PM
They are an enlarged version of the 16-23hp workhorses that have been out there singing away for many years. It's a Briggs design and an excellent one.... not something built to some el'cheapo mower MFG's specifications like many of the others.

In my opinion, these are the best air cooled v-twin engines available for OPE.

tb8100
04-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Hmm. Well they told us at the Briggs school that Mitsubishi did the manufacturing. Guess they were wrong... :confused:

Envy Lawn Service
04-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Hmm. Well they told us at the Briggs school that Mitsubishi did the manufacturing. Guess they were wrong... :confused:

I know you are not directing that at me...

But yes, I guess so...

As far as I know, they partnered with MHI only for some small single cylinder engines mostly... that were marketed under the Vanguard name. But I thought that went south a few years ago.

The Big Block engines are not made by Mitsubishi.
They're made by DBS, which is part of "Toyota Group" and a joint venture between Briggs and Daihatsu.

puppypaws
04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I know you are not directing that at me...

But yes, I guess so...

As far as I know, they partnered with MHI only for some small single cylinder engines mostly... that were marketed under the Vanguard name. But I thought that went south a few years ago.

The Big Block engines are not made by Mitsubishi.
They're made by DBS, which is part of "Toyota Group" and a joint venture between Briggs and Daihatsu.

This is correct, Brigg's said there Vanguard engine was built totally in the Daihatsu manufacturing facility with the rubber and plastic coming from the US. They said out plastic and rubber technology was ahead of the Japanese but there metal and being already set up with the tooling the engine was cheaper built in Japan.

txjeep
05-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I hauled my Turf Tiger with 31HP B&S Vanguard into the shop today with 151.5 hours on it. Was running great as always, and then it suddenly lost fuel, died, and would not start. Turns over, has spark, but plugs are bone dry. We back flushed the fuel line and filter and it still won't pull fuel in. I suspect it is the little fuel pump on top of the engine. That is also what the mechanic told me. Said he keeps a few of them in stock because they have a high failure rate (on all the engines, not just the B&S). He said there is only one company that makes the pumps for all the manufacturers and they are not very good pumps. Mine was the first big block Vanguard he had ever seen, so I guess that counts for something. Turns out the style of pump mine uses is slightly different, so he has to order it.

At any rate, I'll let you all know the verdict. For the record, I have been very happy with this engine. It has gobs of power and torque.

GravelyNut
05-07-2008, 12:27 AM
I'll let you know how we like ours as soon as I get finished mounting it on the Gravely 4 wheel tractor. Vanguard 35 HP Model 613477-0111. For mowing with the 60" or 72" decks, it will be run at rated RPM. For use on all other attachments, it will be run at 2400 RPM.

MJB
05-07-2008, 12:49 AM
I'd like to here more more about actual fuel usage on these Briggs. GPH. My 30HP Kohler with 600 hrs is getting better I got 1.25 GPH pushing a 66" mulching deck in heavy spring growth. Using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil. I thought that was pretty good but I doubt the Kohler will last as long as the Briggs.

gravedigger5
05-07-2008, 07:04 AM
I'd like to here more more about actual fuel usage on these Briggs. GPH. My 30HP Kohler with 600 hrs is getting better I got 1.25 GPH pushing a 66" mulching deck in heavy spring growth. Using Royal Purple Synthetic Oil. I thought that was pretty good but I doubt the Kohler will last as long as the Briggs.

thats pretty close to my 32 horse briggs w/72" deck. Did not keep real close track but used appx 17 gallon over 34 acres @ about 13 hrs of heavy (3 week growth) mowing. I.E. 1.3 gal per hr.

txjeep
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I have not really tried too hard to measure fuel burn, but I would agree that my 31 is in the 1.25 GPH range. As noted earlier, this is on a TT with a 61" deck.

Envy Lawn Service
05-07-2008, 10:55 AM
That's pretty good fuel numbers.
I have struggled to get that out of the 19-25hp kawasaki's.

puppypaws
05-07-2008, 02:10 PM

I would say "real good"!

txjeep
05-13-2008, 12:22 PM
The fuel pump was the problem and was not expensive to fix. I pick it up this afternoon.

txjeep
05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't think the fuel pump was bad after all on my 31. After getting the mower back from the shop, I mowed today and accidentally ran it out of gas after about 2 hours of smooth running. It would not start again. Plugs again were bone dry, and there was good spark, just like last time. This time I had the mower at home and was able to prime the pump manually (removed the line from the carb and pressure up the fuel tank). It fired right up and is running great again. I am starting to wonder if the problem isn't my choke cable adjustment. When I picked up the mower from the shop, I had them adjust it because it was not fully disengaging after they reassembled it. He said the cable appeared to be too long for this application, but he got it to disengage. Maybe it isn't closing fully, so the pump won't prime.

Any other thoughts on why the pump won't prime?

gravedigger5
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I ran my 32 hp briggs out of gas the other day and it ran crappy for about the next hour. Guess it got an air bubble or something caught crossways. Go figure. Run fine ever since.

txjeep
05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I would say "real good"!

For those who wanted more on the gph on this 31 Vanguard, I did a test today. I filled the tank to the filler neck and mowed for 3.0 hours on the hour meter. That 3 hours includes a few minutes of non mowing time for loading, unloading, etc. It took 3.75 gallons to fill it back up. Based on this, I would say 1.25-1.30 gph is about right for this setup.

(2006 TT 61 Velocity 31HP Vanguard)

MJB
05-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Envy or Anyone else running 25hp Kawasaki with a 60" deck. Is that engine powerful enough in your opinion to run a 60" mulching deck on the Exmark Lazer AS ???

mag360
05-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Envy or Anyone else running 25hp Kawasaki with a 60" deck. Is that engine powerful enough in your opinion to run a 60" mulching deck on the Exmark Lazer AS ???

Just a heads up---I believe the 25hp motor available on the lazer AS is a kohler which is less powerful than a 25hp kawi. Fine for side discharging but for mulching I'd recommend going to the 28hp kawi that is an available motor option.