PDA

View Full Version : Just starting

rebelsday
04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi, well Im 16. I have a honda 21", a echo blower, and a t260 handwia trimmer something like that lol. Im just looking for basic advice, like getting bonded me father would like me to or insured. I have done landscpaing since i was 12 and worked part time for professionals the last 2 summers. Work is slower now so I would like to start my own business. I also have a 1986 ford ranger truck no trailer. I work hard and mostly want to get around by word of mouth just show them how good my work is. I was thinking of offereing one free mowing service ( Mow, Edge, Blow, Weedeat, And clean up.) for smaller sized lots up to 1/2 an acre?

LawnCare_EMT
04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I wouldnt mow for free :) try half off your first mow and go from there. Congrats for starting up and I hope things work out for you. Just don’t mix up your priorities, I assume you being 16 are still in High School… Study first… Mow later. Don’t cut your self short of a good education.

mngrassguy
04-08-2008, 06:22 AM
I wouldnt mow for free :) try half off your first mow and go from there. Congrats for starting up and I hope things work out for you. Just don’t mix up your priorities, I assume you being 16 are still in High School… Study first… Mow later. Don’t cut your self short of a good education.

Very well said.

NEVER work for free

Get insurance. Do NOTHING without it.

Don't borrow money unless it's from Dad. It's just the beginning of the end

ALWAYS collect and pay your taxes http://www.boe.ca.gov/

Oh ya, good luck!!!!

GreenthumbGA
04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Do what you think you need to do. If you feel you need to offer free services to pick up accounts, do it. You will never know whether it works or not unless you do it. If you can afford it. Just make sure you do the free work as well as you do the $$$ work.

Do not borrow money unless you have a business plan and accountability measures in place.

Do get insurance if you are planning on building this thing up.

Have fun, find new ways of doing things, make money, mentor someone, wave at other lawn care companies, ask lots of questions, never act bigger than you really are. Learn about the soil, and what makes it do what it does.
Take time to talk with people, do the little things, give as much as you can back to the world.

and go fishing every chance you get.....