PDA

View Full Version : adding power washing to landscape services

csl
04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
hey everyone, we decided to add power washing to our landscape services this year, and are praying for the best.
as a newbie, any info from the pros would surely be appreciated.
we have done a lot of research, mostly from previous threads and local supplier, but again, the most we ever usually wash is steets and walks when we finish landscaping.
what have been the most successful ways of advertising/ leads.
are most of you have extensive paperwork signed prior to the job to make sure to cover all legalities? (i.e damage etc.)
best ways for bredking down costs of jobs, etc.

ths is is just a start, but any info would be greatly appreciated.
we are purchasing a new cold water hotsy 4 gpm/3500 psi, and a hot water hotsy 3 gpm machine. thanks for the help!

nobagger
04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
We offer it but I dont push it. I'm sure if you pushed it you would do well. The few times we did it for a few customers we did pretty well. I think one job was about 160 bucks and took me all of maybe an hour and a half from unload to driving away. Maybe I should start pushing it again,lol. Plus it was nice and cool in the heat of day.

csl
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
yeah, thanks for the input. i just want to make sure that when i dump a bunch of money into this that it turns out well. when we fisrt started landscaping we made mistakes, like everyone, but nothing to costly. i just want to be sure we cover all our bases, but do it in a timely matter. and with homeowners so easy to aggravate, i dont want to break even to make some old hag happy.

Don M.
04-07-2008, 11:20 PM
hey everyone, we decided to add power washing to our landscape services this year, and are praying for the best.
as a newbie, any info from the pros would surely be appreciated.
we have done a lot of research, mostly from previous threads and local supplier, but again, the most we ever usually wash is steets and walks when we finish landscaping.
what have been the most successful ways of advertising/ leads.
are most of you have extensive paperwork signed prior to the job to make sure to cover all legalities? (i.e damage etc.)
best ways for bredking down costs of jobs, etc.

ths is is just a start, but any info would be greatly appreciated.
we are purchasing a new cold water hotsy 4 gpm/3500 psi, and a hot water hotsy 3 gpm machine. thanks for the help!

First, your wasting your time with a 4 gpm hotsy/3500 psi machine. You want at least a 5.6, and I would recommend an 8 gpm.

The misconception is the psi does the cleaning. Not true. The more gpm, the faster.

Why are you wanting a hot machine to start with? If you are doing resi then a 8 gpm cold water unit will be just fine. Only hot to clean up grease, oil, gum, stuff of that nature.

Market to you existing clients first. Newspaper ads do well for some.

There are better machines and better prices than a hotsy.

Just my .02

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
There are better machines than a hotsy,i recommend hot water itz what i should have started with,get a 4000 psi 5 gpm for a starter you can always add a hot box .

Don M.
04-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Why 5000 PSI?

csl
04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
thanks for the help so far and keep it coming. the reason we are purchasing a hot machine is for the oil and such. we do mostly high end construction, so that it the market we want to keep with. and the reason for the lower gpm is because thats all i can find locally. there are 3 or 4 very large companies that sell and service these machines, and this was the highest gpm they offer. any suggestions on other brands would be helpful. thanks,

csl
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
so how about brands? what are some of the better ones you guys have used, and are hopefully still using? and how about waivers? anyone have a good template you use for people to sign prior to services?
thanks.,

DAFFMOBILEWASH
04-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Most companies use the same basic platform for building thier product. Stay away from the direct drive units and stay with the belt ones. These will run cooler, longer and provide many hours of great service. Insist on a top name pump General, Udor or something simular. Do your reasearch, not all pumps are created equal.

One again GPM is king in this industry. Anything under 5GPM is entering the light commercial/resi side of the spectrum. Be forwarned there is a huge learing curve to the wash industry. Many of my new employyees don't understand this untill the first week is over. Good luck and keep on reading. The internet is a great start.

DAFF

FCPWLLC
04-11-2008, 09:12 AM
so how about brands? what are some of the better ones you guys have used, and are hopefully still using? and how about waivers? anyone have a good template you use for people to sign prior to services?
thanks.,

http://www.pressuretek.com

Bob Carries the "Pressure Pro" Machines. This is what we use. Bob can hook you up.

Also, most of us don't use waivers since damage is minimal if using proper methods. Lower pressures often clean better than high. Good Detergents will help to both increase speed and minimize risk of high pressure damage.

Best advice I can give to a LCO about pressure washing is to eliminate the "Man-Hour" pricing mentality. This service is best sold as VALUE to customer and time savings for them. Very often, we are cleaning Vinyl homes for $350+ that only take an hour with one operator.

csl
04-12-2008, 10:37 AM
thanks for all the help guys. i have been doing a ton of research, but still got a way to go. the only reason i brought up paperwork is because every year we get a homeowner of two that you absolutely cannot please. just want to make sure i cover all my bases. and yes i have been checking out pressuretek. good guys, hope we can do a lot of business with them. well if anyone else has advice it would be appreciated. thanks again,.

Barry M
04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Offer a high end excellent service at a higher end price and sell VALUE and you will fair better than selling cheap pressure washing at a high volume.

DAFFMOBILEWASH
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Barry hit the nail on the head on this one!! Looking back at your previous clientell you can qiuickly tell what thier expectations are. For example the client whose house has clutter and things out of place will be less expecting than the home owner who has a garage which has a ceramic white tile and landscaping which is top rate. Looking around your work suroundings will give you a basic idea of what to expect.

If you get a wierd vibe from a clent don't brush them off, just guarentee yourself a top rate of pay and a little extra for the PITA client, normally 25-60% on top of the job rate. Plus when estimating add $100.00 for every car in the drive you can't afford.

DAFF

csl
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
yeah we have never had a problem with quality. thats why we only do the high end consumers now, because we have had less problems with them. but this is also where some questions come from. like i tell my guys, we can install a $100,000 landscape for free, mow it for free, and there still will be problems, this is just the way some people are. we did a large charity project for the boys and girls club that was 46,000 feet of sod, irrigation, and planting beds, and i still get some B*&%ch calling me saying they want more plants. its customers like this that i want to make sure i dont have problems with. we have always done a high quality job, i just want to make sure we dont end up in court because the driveway got "too clean" or something else make believe. thanks

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I added pressure washing to my business. It was the way to go for me! I do run into times where I can't keep up. Then there are times when its slow. But for the most part... it is an awesome way to add good income to your business. Check out some of the sites that are tailored for pressure washing. You'll get some good advice there. Remember... GPM's!

Happy Frog
04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Remember to get proper liability insurance. Your lawn care contract will not cover the pressure washing...

csl
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM
thats a good point, and that was one of my original concerns.

Happy Frog
04-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Think twice the cost of your current liability...