PDA

View Full Version : rude poeple

french's lawn care
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
hey guys I recently made a website and left an area open for comments so that customers could write their own comments. well someone got on it and wrote some mean comments for no reason here is what i wrote back. how did i handle it ? should i change my response or should i have just ignored it and deleted it ? have you ever had it happen to you?

Anonymous said...
So, do you actually have a $12,000 dixie or did you just pick the most expensive one to put on your website.
April 6, 2008 4:17 AM
Anonymous said...
Furthermore, I would remove your little blurb on how one should mow grass as that is copyrighted material that you so nicely cut and pasted. You know...if your gonna have a lawnservice, at least be original, pick your positive attributes and post those, don't don't don't water down your prices, combine mowing and weed wacking together(most customers assume that it is that way).
April 6, 2008 4:35 AM
Anonymous said...
Finally, do you have a weed application licence, I do not see your name on the current list of DEC applicators dated 3/28/2008 and if you do not, how do you do your weeding??????

Hi I don’t know if you are another lawn co. that is upset because your prices are more expensive than mine or if you are a potential customer that thinks that I am scamming them. I could just delete those comments but I have nothing to hide and will leave them up and just answer the questions for future customers. No I do not have a Dixie chopper and they run around $7,000- $10,000, but I do have a commercial grade $8,000 Bob cat mower to provide a professional cut. If you had looked on the web site where it says my new mower under links you would see it, and I sharpen my blades once a week to provide the best cut possible for your lawn. The blurb that you are referring to on my website is not copywrited and is for people to read and understand that I take pride in my work and want only the best results for them and their yard. As far as “Watering down my prices” goes I charge a fair price and don’t force things on people that they don’t need or want done every week so I offer them separate and will trim your yard biweekly to save you money not to “Water down my prices” .I do not have a License to apply Chemicals to someone’s lawn as Chemicals are bad for the environment animals, and children. I prefer organic fertilizers that will not harm the environment, animals, or children. And if you would like weeds, crabgrass, and grubs taken care of Tru green has a great program. Thank you for “asking” your questions/statements and I hope that I have answered them to your satisfaction! Sincerely French’s Lawn Care

TwistedSister
04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, based on the name of your lawn service, I would think you would be the rude one. But seriously, I would have just deleted those things. The comments section of most sites are for people who liked/disliked your service or people who are intersted in your services.

Carolina Cuts
04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Finally, do you have a weed application licence, I do not see your name on the current list of DEC applicators dated 3/28/2008 and if you do not, how do you do your weeding??????

this has someone from LS written all over it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
sounds like some is just messin' with ya bro....

I wouldn't sweat it, nor would I have written anything back.

french's lawn care
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
yeah i probly should have just deleted them and still plan on it I just wanted whoever wrote it to see that I had done at least a little of my home work and kind of make them look like the fool. I think it was a local lco because my website is really hard to find by just doing a search. thanks for the comments.

Rcgm
04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Delete it. Don't waste your time on even responding.

P.S Are you advertising for weed control without a license? Just thought you might want to know here in Indiana you are not suppose to advertise for something that takes a license if you do not have one. It is a 1000 dollar fine.

RCGM
Brad

MN Lawn Guy
04-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I would really like to know what chemicals are bad for the environment, animals and children? That has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever heard!! It is guys like you that give this industry a bad rep. You call youself a professional

french's lawn care
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
no i don't advertise for weed control as far as chemicals you are going to find people for it and against it sorry i offended you.

LawnCare_EMT
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Dude that has another LCO written all over it. It is just some one in your area upset because his business is not doing so well. Kind of funny though that they would sink that low. Dont worry about it its all part of being a business owner... just laugh about it. :)

G.M.Landscaping
04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
What is your website? I want to check it out.

jdmcat
04-08-2008, 12:12 AM
pesticides save lives

mngrassguy
04-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Since when is an "organic" a non-poision. Coffee is more lethal than some pesticides (in diluted form). Better know your stuff before giving advise. BS will come back and bite you every time.

That being said...either delete the questions or answer them using the k.i.s.s. method.
Keep your answers short and simple. Be honest and don't get defensive. Use your answers like an advertisement. This is the equipment I have..., this is what I do...., this is my philosophy..., ect. Remember future clients might read them!!

About advertising thing you don't do, why not "hire" a LCO to do them and take a cut? Just make sure you price things right so everyone makes money and everyone stays happy.

One more thing, I wouldn't advertise or say someones name (TG) unless they pay you something for it

Paulup
04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
What is your website? I want to check it out.

Clickage (http://frenchslawncare.blogspot.com/) for his website.

Paulup
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Now i want to comment on it. Do you have your licenses? Most states allow you to mow/trim/edge/blow without a license, but to trim shrubs you need a license, and to trim trees you need another license, which you advertise.

Second, on the left side you say you offer bagging to leave no grass clippings in the lawn and make it look pretty, then you have the lawn care advice on the right side telling people to leave the clippings in their lawn so they can break down and replenish. Conflicting information is going to hurt your business.

As for the copy/paste comment someone made in your comments section, if you go to the bottom of THE PAGE (http://www.hobbylawncare.com/?q=blog-entry/how-to-mow-a-lawn-and-keep-it-healthy-uid95) you copy/pasted and edited your lawn care tips from, you will see that they have their website contents copyrighted, which means you are breaking the law by stealing it without their permission. At the very least you should be citing your source.

The guy may be a jerk, but he's got a point.

tknoel
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Time is money. Don't waste both. Delete and move on.

MN Lawn Guy
04-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I am not offended by people that don't like chemicals put on their lawn. What irks me is when I hear comments like that. There is absolutely no data to back up a statement like that. If the label is followed, which it is the law, these chemicals are no more harmful than many products we use on a daily basis.

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I am not offended by people that don't like chemicals put on their lawn. What irks me is when I hear comments like that. There is absolutely no data to back up a statement like that. If the label is followed, which it is the law, these chemicals are no more harmful than many products we use on a daily basis.

I'm pulling this thread off topic but...Actually there is a lot of data to back that statement up. My last job was working for a company that made testing products to test specifically for pesticides and herbicides in soil and water. That's not to say that there aren't safe chemicals, but just keep in mind that "law" does not equal safe. PCB's were recently changed from a health level 4 to a health level 2 by the Bush admin. and I guarantee it was not because it was recently found to be safe. I'm not trying to get on your case, but there is a reason pesticides and herbicides need licenses to be applied.

MN Lawn Guy
04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I did a search on PCB's these were banned in the 70's. I am talking about chemicals that are applied to turf today. If these chemicals are so bad then why doesn't every homeowner that can go into any big box store and apply these to their own lawn need a license?

slammerjax
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Maybe I shouldn't chime in...but what the heck

Anyone who says that application of "common" pesticides/fertilizers can't cause any damage is the reason we have licenses to apply such chemicals.

I do not apply chemicals...as in Florida it is against the law for me to do so without a license.

I do know that that over application (mostly by homeowers) of fertilizer is a major cause of weed overgrowth and algae bloom in our water ways. As an avid fisherman I feel that protecting the water is beacoup important....

At my home I have a beautiful St Augustine lawn. I apply fertilizer at about half the rate that Scotts suggests and I'm doing fine....

Yes...if you are doing the chemical thing you need to be trained...and licensed...

Ravenwood Landscaping
04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I did a search on PCB's these were banned in the 70's. I am talking about chemicals that are applied to turf today. If these chemicals are so bad then why doesn't every homeowner that can go into any big box store and apply these to their own lawn need a license?

1. I was making a point with the PCB's (by the way, yes they're banned, but that doesn't mean they're gone. My old company still sells tests in high quantity for testing for this). Things in use today such as 2,4-D, malathion, chlorpyrifos, etc. are just as toxic as many other chemicals. However, the EPA for some reason believes that because you don't die within 3 years of using it, it's healthy. Just because you can buy it at the store, doesn't make it safe (see: guns). If you think places like Monsanto and DowAgro give a hoot about the health records of their products over making $, then they've done their job. In the industry (envrionmental), it's well known that both of these companies produce some products that are very bad for the environment and overall consumer health. The only thing green they care about is money.

2. If you're trying to tell me that all chemicals are safe, what's the need for a license to use them?

I mean c'mon man be at least realisitic in your arguement. And if you're going to research this, I would eliminate just about everything the EPA says. They're about as reliable as the politicians that watch over them.

french's lawn care
04-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Now i want to comment on it. Do you have your licenses? Most states allow you to mow/trim/edge/blow without a license, but to trim shrubs you need a license, and to trim trees you need another license, which you advertise.

Second, on the left side you say you offer bagging to leave no grass clippings in the lawn and make it look pretty, then you have the lawn care advice on the right side telling people to leave the clippings in their lawn so they can break down and replenish. Conflicting information is going to hurt your business.

As for the copy/paste comment someone made in your comments section, if you go to the bottom of THE PAGE (http://www.hobbylawncare.com/?q=blog-entry/how-to-mow-a-lawn-and-keep-it-healthy-uid95) you copy/pasted and edited your lawn care tips from, you will see that they have their website contents copyrighted, which means you are breaking the law by stealing it without their permission. At the very least you should be citing your source.

The guy may be a jerk, but he's got a point.

I I will have to look in to the tree trimming thing that is new to me, with the grass clippings thing I will have to straighten it out but if the lawn needs it or the customer requests it I will bag it is what i mean. and I thought that quote was just a statement that someone made and was not copyrighted so I will give the site credit for it thanks for the info and hope you do good this summer.

paul vroom
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Anyone that says that they have not embellish to make themselves marketable is full of it. I work in "Corporate America" which is home to the biggest collection of scum on the planet. Its the law of the land.
The loser leaving those comments obviously wishes he had more clients so he would not have to waste time checking others web sites.
Its your business, run it as you wish. This is America, first and foremost you must pay the bills. As for the negativity you encounter here just remember, opinions are like bung holes, everyone has one and most are best kept to themselves. Peace!

rob7233
04-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I would really like to know what chemicals are bad for the environment, animals and children? That has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever heard!! It is guys like you that give this industry a bad rep. You call youself a professional

If you don't agree, then just what is your position on it?

topsites
04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry about the anger.
It gets better with time.

mngrassguy
04-09-2008, 07:07 AM

Soon, they will. Minnesota Department of Ag is working on this now. Mostly because of "empty" container disosal problems.

mngrassguy
04-09-2008, 07:16 AM
ALL chemicals/pesticides can be bad for the environment or people inc coffee and water if not applied properly. Yes, you can die from injesting to much water

paul vroom
04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
ALL chemicals/pesticides can be bad for the environment or people inc coffee and water if not applied properly. Yes, you can die from injesting to much water

I know a guy that drank way to much water, he did not die but he became very dumb when he pissed his brains out........

MN Lawn Guy
04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
If you don't agree, then just what is your position on it?

What I am trying to say is that there are many chemicals that are used on a daily basis that are just as harmful than the ones we put on our lawn. The products we use to clean our house, toilets, dishes, ovens. The gasoline we put in our car. These chemicals can also be dangerous to the environment as well as humans and I believe are not any more dangerous than the ones we put on our lawn. As long as they are put down by a professional that follows the label.

All chemicals in concentrated form are far more dangerous than the small amounts that get sprayed on the lawn.

And the reason that we need a license to spray pesticides and herbicides is not because they are harmful. It is so the states can get their hands in the pockets of small business owners and get some of their money. These same chemicals are sold to homeowners who don't need a license to apply them to their own lawns. I hope that does change soon.

jdmcat
04-09-2008, 11:47 PM

Next time you are at Wal-Mart take a look at the percentage of active ingredient in any of their off the shelf pesticides. They are selling glorified water.

And the reason that we need a license to spray pesticides and herbicides is not because they are harmful. It is so the states can get their hands in the pockets of small business owners and get some of their money. These same chemicals are sold to homeowners who don't need a license to apply them to their own lawns. I hope that does change soon.

The reason we need a license to apply pesticides is because they ARE harmful if not applied correctly. The state is interested in making sure the person applying these pesticides is trained to do so in a safe and proper manner.

The problem with most people is that they don't understand that more chemical doesn't mean faster or better results. The application rate listed on the pesticide label is the maximum amount of chemical that should be applied. Many homeowners will buy a bag of Scotts fertilizer and use the whole bag on their 3000 square foot lawn and then wonder why it turns orange and dies while the bag says right on the label that it will treat 10,000 square feet. Then all that extra fertilizer and whatever weed killer is mixed in ends up in the groundwater. That, in my opinion, is why fertilizers and pesticides should be left in the hands of licensed professional applicators like myself.