PDA

View Full Version : spring flowering spirea, ok to trim now????

mattfromNY
04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Last year I passed on trimming some spring flowering Spirea on a customers property b/c we did a late cleanup. This year we are much earlier, and customer never cut them back in the fall, they look like he!!, and need to be trimmed. Normally I would have cut them back in the fall, but customer did their own clean up. Can I cut them back now and still see some flowers this year????
Thanks in advance.
Matt.

Rcgm
04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I would say the chance of flowers is slim if you are going to really whack it back. But spireas are a strange bush I have trimmed some spring flowering spireas back real far after they flowered and I think I shocked them and they flowered again. What kind of spirea is it. Gold flame,Neon Flash ?

RCGM
Brad

PerfectEarth
04-07-2008, 09:49 PM
You can cut spirea now. In your area, I assume they have not or are barely leafing out- don't get TOO aggressive but you can chop a bunch. I find they're bulletproof.

I chopped a lot last year (neatly!) in late March/early April and they bloomed like never before.

mattfromNY
04-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the replies. Last year I was ok trimming back (not hacking, just shaping and cutting back a bit), some summer flowering. They bloomed really nice and this year they are 1.5 times the size they were before we cut them! I just wasnt sure on the spring flowering varieties.
I'm not sure what the variety is, they are very popular around here, I've never learned the differences among them. Is there a sure-fire way to tell if they are spring or summer blooming this time of year when they are dormant, and any way other than the blooms to tell the variety?? Thanks again for any help.

Grassmechanic
04-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Spireas flower on new wood. I prune anthony waterer, goldflame, neon flash etc. right to the ground in some cases, to keep a small compact bush. They flower just nicely. you cna prune them now.

FYI - I also prune them after they flower and get at least 1 more nice flower display from them.

AGLA
04-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Bridal Wreath, the early spring white spirea is an old wood bloomer. They also bloom all along the long twigs that they have. I would not worry about pruning them back, but thehy will look stiffer when they flower compared to how they usually look.