PDA

View Full Version : working under the lights

pete scalia
04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
A Pete Scalia original . I'm putting a nighttime graveyard install crew on this year that will have the dusk till dawn shift. That's right working under Klieg lights. Makes sense, all adjustments are made on the fly instant feedback for positioning. lamp choice, lenses etc.
Any of you Bozo's try and mimmick my brilliance and I'll sue the pants off of you. I declare here that I hold the copyright on this install technique. If you wish to employ it in your business and your not a total closet case I might consider licensing the rights to you for a hefty fee. PM me. Ciao...........

The Lighting Geek
04-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Have you been drinking again?

Lite4
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I am sure my clients would love to hear clanking shovels outside their window at 3:30 in the morning and have the occasional headlamp beam blasting in their windows at night. :hammerhead: I guess you are busier than I am though.:cry:

The Lighting Geek
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I can see it now: The client looks out the window to see guys in their yard in SWAT vests and headlights.

seolatlanta
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
You know Pete just might be hittin the sauce again , but I think its a good idea. I dont think he's talking about 3:30 am, but you could start a crew at 12 noon and by 8pm it is starting to get dark .

You could move pathlights a few feet , adjust tree lights etc . Come back the next day and finish up the small stuff.

Be sure to give him a piece of the pie or he'll sue the pants off ya!

pete scalia
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Go ahead and make fun but it's a great idea and not only for commercial properties. I was talking about the 10PM to 6:30AM shift (1/2 hour lunch or breakfast?). With the exception of drilling holes to hang transformers the process of installing landscaping lighting is a relatively quiet one. I'm sure after you come to your senses you will agree. Pete will sleep and get rich, finish jobs in 1/2 the days (not time). I'm going to go down in history as being known in this business as the one who innovated and pioneered nighttime lighting. I am brilliant.

irrig8r
04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm going to go down in history as being known in this business as the one who innovated and pioneered nighttime lighting. I am brilliant.

Softspoken, even-tempered, humble and modest too.

pete scalia
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Softspoken, even-tempered, humble and modest too.

That's the most intelligent thing you've ever said here.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Most of my work is Hardscaping and you deff. don't want me doing that at night regardless of how bad i would love to do it in the heat of summer, but those jobs where i am installing lighting, we typically will work 1pm to 10pm. It doesn't get dark until 830-9pm. so we work and get everything installed throughout the day, then we have about an hour and a half to tweak everything after dark.

seolatlanta
04-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Pete

I wasnt making fun , I really do think its a good idea!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh it is brilliant.... I cannot wait to hear about all the by-law infractions and tickets you are going to accumulate for working in residential areas after hours. There are laws against this practice in most jurisdictions. Here you cannot work on a site before 7am or after 11pm.

Then of course there is all the ill will that you will generate from the neighbours... what a brilliant promotional strategy.

Go for it! The world could use some more laughter...

Pro-Scapes
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
for commercial work such as a renovation at a resturaunt we proposed just that tho. We would come in after business hours and the property would be left in a clean fashion for business the next day. Its rare this type of install is needed however if your work would disrupt the clients business or pose a saftey factor with the businesses clients on site working off hours is a huge advantage for both you and the business owner.

I do often work from late morning into the evening for installations and some times work all day and into the evening. Just yesterday we had a 14 hour day. Whatever it takes but we do try to be cleaned up and off residential sites as soon as possible after dark.

irrig8r
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to "fly by night".

TXNSLighting
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to "fly by night".

Now thats funny!