PDA

View Full Version : overtime??

CAG
04-08-2008, 12:17 AM
just wondering how many people pay time and a half to their employees. the only problem i have is that on rainy days i will give them shop work, but half of the time its really bs work, then the next week they will rack up a lot of ot.. just seeing how others deal with this.. i was thinks of doing something like giving them credit.. for example if they put in 44 hrs one week then give the a half day the following week paid.. kinda just rolling it over.. how do other deal with this.

YVI
04-08-2008, 01:32 AM
We pay time and half for overtime. We try not to generate to much overtime just because it is hard to recoupe the monies spent on overtime. If we dont have 40hrs of billable work that week employees get a long weekend.

JimmyStew
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Not sure about the laws in Ct, but here in Maine, you work over 40 hours, you get time & a half period. The state doesn't have rollover like cingular!

AGLA
04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Its the law.

Send them home when it rains.

Randy Scott
04-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Overtime is the law in Wisconsin. Also, when a question like this needs to be answered, put yourself in their shoes and you will have the answer. Treat them how you would want to be treated. Besides, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that every state requires you to pay overtime.

If you are running up too much overtime, then it's time to hire an additional person.

bullethead
04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
It's a federal law and yes you have to pay 1.5 the hourly rate for any time over 40hrs. Further, if you have people that you think are "salary" you better think again relative to the "exempt" vs "non-exempt" criteria put forth by the DOL. I know many people think they can pay their foremen "salary" - but unless their foremen meet the criteria of "exempt" employees (which most don't) they are to be paid hourly and due overtime if incurred.

It is not something to screw around with. The DOL will look back 2 years if they conduct an investigation - which depending on the number of employees you have and the amount of overtime actually worked - could be a decent chunk of change.

Finally - you better keep good payroll records. Otherwise it becomes a game of your word versus theirs - and "theirs" reigns supreme.