PDA

View Full Version : What to do...

JShe8918
04-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey i am new to the whole correct way to fert. and care for a yard as far as chemicals... So my yard has greened up alot and some weeds are coming in. The grass is centipede. I applied 15-0-15 today that had some atrazine in it. Do i now need to apply a post emerge to the lawn to kill the weeds or will it hurt my yard. Because post emerge won't kill my centipede or will it?? If i am to apply a post emerge then what should i use? Liquid or Granular and what brand.

Thanx in advance,
jonathan

JShe8918
04-08-2008, 12:07 PM
common 33 views and no replies. please help the new guy. this is only for my personal yard.

Frank Fescue
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
read a label to see what it will/wont kill.

and enough of this bs that its for your own personal yard

RAlmaroad
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=JShe8918;2258215]Hey i am new to the whole correct way to fert. and care for a yard as far as chemicals... So my yard has greened up alot and some weeds are coming in. The grass is centipede. I applied 15-0-15 today that had some atrazine in it. Do i now need to apply a post emerge to the lawn to kill the weeds or will it hurt my yard. Because post emerge won't kill my centipede or will it?? If i am to apply a post emerge then what should i use? Liquid or Granular and what brand.

Thanx in advance,
jonathan[

Jonathan--Well, here goes. Centipede is probably the most sensitive of all turf. Sensitive to most chemical, especially those with 2-4D;mainly the Dicamba in the mix.
You should have applied some Dimension 0-0-7 .10way back in February. This would carry you till mid-summer almost weed free (If there is such a thing) Dimension is your 1st line of defence; and, is a pre-emergent. It will not keep the annual seeds from crabgrass and a lot of other weeds from germination, but will kill the hair root when they do sprout.
If you've not done that, you could still do it but a lot of your weeds are already going and probably wasting your money. Others may view that differently. The 15-0-15 is good providing you only applied about 1/2lb/1000sq. ft. Centipede does not like very much Nitrogen. That 50lb bag would do about 15,000sq.ft. The atrazine in it will kill some of the weeds but by itself is rather weak especially in the granular form. It does have some pre-emergent qualities. More than likely you are going to have to blanket spray your yard with "Image" in hose form to control the weeds now. Check the label on the "Image"--YOUR TURF MUST BE ACTIVE AND GROWING WELL. Otherwise you will kill it. I suggest for now is to go to Lowes and buy that hose-end sprayer and follow the directions. The hose-end Image will keep you from burning your grass. You could do that very easily with the back pack if you are adept in spraying. Make sure you water the Image in the next day. No need to water it in if it rains.
You'll need another application in about 3 weeks. READ UP ON IT.
Atrazine is good in the wetable form mixed with other chems like Basagran and an added sticker.
Good Luck--No more fertilizer until August.
Roy
Now invite me down and give me a place to stay during Madi-Gras