PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on signing up Condo. Associations

shearbolt
11-29-2001, 10:34 PM
Is this market based solely on price or are there other factors you've found successful in signing up Condos.

landscaper3
11-29-2001, 10:41 PM
They go mostly with the lowest bidder and presentation. We work with many property management companies and condominium associations alone 40%or more of our business other 30% straight commercial. These can be great job prospects due to they will bid out up to 50 large properties a year and a 5% return on bids can earn you alone close to 6 figures. You bid them as any other place but you may want to tighten the cost up just a little.
Like I said alot of money to be made especially on add on services thats where we make the most money!

odin
11-29-2001, 10:56 PM
We getem on yearly up front priceing ,then if it comes a draught or dont snow much we make out like a bandit

grass chaser
11-29-2001, 11:47 PM
I agree bid it like any other job but, With the ones I have they would rather good service over price. Every condo I picked up always had the same complaint that the other guys never showed up on time and did bad work. The other thing is many of the people who live in these big condos own businesses and you can usually pick them up to. All the condos I have are all year long contracts. This helps out especially right now.

jjfehr
11-30-2001, 12:06 AM
For the less than upscale associations, find the previous guys billing amount and lower by 10%, but don't forget to have the same thing happen to you next year. I have been refinishing decks every other year for one assoc. and I havn't yet been able to up the price yet. I got it because I used to live there and they felt that I would take pride in the work, wich I did, and do with every job. If I up the bid I will lose the job and not get it because someone is always willing to do it for same or less that I was. People paying the dues don't like to have them go up every year! I do this job on the side, if you know what I mean, and it pays for 2 vacations, one each year to Jamaica or Mexico. Once it stops doing this for me, I will prob. stop

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 01:44 AM
LUCK is what you will need.

Or an "In" with them.

HBFOXJr
11-30-2001, 07:59 AM
They are whores and if you don't mind sleeping with a new one each season, fine.

lawrence stone
11-30-2001, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by HBFOXJr
They are whores and if you don't mind sleeping with a new one each season, fine.

Those who lie down with dogs get fleas.

HOA's have no place on the schedule of a small time LCO.

There is very little margin with these accounts and all they will do for you is tie up your time so you cannot explore more profitable ventures.

Ric
11-30-2001, 11:37 AM
Don't forget you will have a hundren bosses. Each owner will want things done a different way. If your luckie you will only have one or two Miss Busibody to watch your every move. I stay away from big assoc. Not worth losing money or sleep over.

landscaper3
11-30-2001, 04:37 PM
Someone did state a good answer of you work for 100 boses. Infact we maintain condominium complexes housing up to 250 units and we state in our contracts (if its an association) that the board members only contact us and has been NO PROBLEMS in many years! Its all how you approach it! Someone else stated that it ties up all your time in fact these DONE THE RIGHT WAY will earn you much more cash then other types of contracts! We make alot of money from condo complexes. We also get adds ons like roof clearing in winter big $$$ planting trees or shrubs tons and tons of ad on can earn you alot of cash from condominiums.
Put your bid in to make your company money if you get it great if not move on and put more bids in. A good place to start is with a proffesional property management company we work with most in the state and its almost the easiest fastest cash made. Its to the point in todays market they are calling us and others in the same field to bid we hardly do anymore calling. Just remeber to write a contract with what is included and go over contract with board members and it can be the smoothest account you could have. And dont forget to add something like we do on our contracts that state if not part of contract general labor rate per person like $25hr equipment charges start at $45hr. This will help with your contract so they know what a general charge outside of contract will be!

Grapevine
11-30-2001, 09:24 PM
I agree with Brian C. Condos are a good money maker for us. You get in good with the people on the association, you have a good relationship with the management company, and above all you do a great job at a price that will fit their budget and make you money. The only problem taking on these large complexes, is the labor aspect. You need people who know what their doing and do it fast to make you money. We started subbing out all the mulch ( company with a bark blower) for all our places and that was a huge load off so we could concentrate on other things.

Fantasy Lawns
11-30-2001, 09:41 PM
I'm with you Brian (nice site!)

we deal with the board only with HOA's .... usually 1 member whom is in "charge" of contact n upcoming needs, quality or changes

property management company's can be a pain also... but when they grow so do you .....have to develope a "relationship"

one of our main pmc's is getting a new gated community which we begin in Jan ....that's 100 homes n common added in 1 contact ..... sure it's lot of work ....can't bid it like 100 x normal billing ....the price is much less ..... but with scales of economy ....one has to look at it as 1 big yard with lots of driveways ;->

n yes you have to keep cost in line .... but the $$ is there once you are reconized as a provider of quality work at a good price