PDA

View Full Version : Question On Arborvitie Bushes

Premo Services
04-08-2008, 07:25 AM
I planted some arborvitie bushes and some of the tips are turning yellow.
I am thinking with all the rain we have had, it is too much water.
Is this what is, or is it something else?
Thanks

Smallaxe
04-08-2008, 08:14 AM
That would be my first guess, if you didn't have any winterkill.

Isobel
04-08-2008, 10:31 AM
could be excessive rain.
could be leaf miners.

could be a few things.

Grassmechanic
04-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Since arbs are naturally found in swamps, excessive water would probably not be the cause. As Isobel said, it could be many things. A picture would help.

alwaysgreener
04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Here you go...

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/news/news.cfm?NewsID=8370

barefootlawnsandlandscape
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
He said the tips were turning yellow, that article is about the interior leaves. I have noticed the tips were turning down here also. I think it is too much water. They do grow in swamps, but they have adapted to the environment they are planted in. We have had about 20" of rain in the past month,and I think St. Louis has caught about every system that has moved through here. I am going to wait and see before taking any major action.

Premo Services
04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
He said the tips were turning yellow, that article is about the interior leaves. I have noticed the tips were turning down here also. I think it is too much water. They do grow in swamps, but they have adapted to the environment they are planted in. We have had about 20" of rain in the past month,and I think St. Louis has caught about every system that has moved through here. I am going to wait and see before taking any major action.

I was thinking the same thing. But you never know!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammerhead:

alwaysgreener
04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Post a pic...

nlminc
04-10-2008, 07:22 PM
I planted 6 for a customer 2 years ago. He called me back last fall and asked me to check on them because they were dying. I figured.....DROUGHT!( We're in a 100 yr drought in GA) I get there and the ends were wilting and browning out! For sure signs of too much water! His irrigation had been off for over 2 months and there was no outdoor watering allowed. I'm stumped so I start digging and sure enough the 3 of the 6 that were bailing were sitting in water beneath turf. The roots were rotted. Bingo! Georgia concrete(clay) and when it did rain, any water would just settle after it reached about 6" below the turf.