PDA

View Full Version : bermuda spring greenup

Turfdoctor1
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
what do you guys do when your broadleaf control timing coincides with bermudagrass greenup? I get very nervous about slowing greenup with 3-way mix, but I also get nervous about customers calling wondering why they have dandelions in their lawns.

sedge
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
what do you guys do when your broadleaf control timing coincides with bermudagrass greenup? I get very nervous about slowing greenup with 3-way mix, but I also get nervous about customers calling wondering why they have dandelions in their lawns.

clean yard = happy customer

slower green up = slower green up

I have never had a complaint about slower green up, but have had complaints about weeds in the yards.

hmartin
04-09-2008, 12:35 AM
A half rate of a 3-way type mix provides pretty darn good control this time of year in the South. I don't blanket spray unless I have to. Metsulfuron is slow but works wonders.

A lawn mower set low about the best winter annual controller.

Turfdoctor1
04-09-2008, 08:11 AM
hmartin,

i agree about the mower. but, when you are adding new customers, that's not what i like to tell them.

i don't like do blankets either, but if you have 10 houses in a neighborhood and 3 need blanket apps, in R2 I am wasting a lot of time if I don't do them all. But, I am wasting a lot of product if I do, plus the fear of injuring the bermuda.

any other opinions?

ted putnam
04-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Turfdoctor, I give all customers new or old a mix of pre-emerge, broadleaf weed control and fertilizer for Round 1. Round 2 I do dry granular. At a certain point the new customers get a spread and spray app because of temps. I do not give them 2 blanket apps of weed control in a row. Usually by the second round I'm able to just spot spray any broadleafs Round 1 missed. I've never noticed slow green up from this method no matter how late the customer got Round 1. It has been my experience that slow green up was mainly due to the customer not scalping properly. Hope this helps.

Turfdoctor1
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
thanks Ted,

i was going to try the Uflexx, 1/2 rate of barricade, broadleaf control tank mix for R2, but hoping to avoid the triplet in the mix as much as possible.

I thought you were spraying your R2?

ted putnam
04-09-2008, 07:08 PM
No, I used to do the split app thing and I never seemed to be able to tell much difference in the control I achieved. I'd rather put all the pre-emerge out in one shot and start spreading the lawns R-2, it's much faster. The other thing is I start seeing buttonweed and nutgrass late R-2. If I'm going to have to pull a hand sprayer anyway, I'd just as soon get the fert out as quickly as possible.Overall it's more efficient for me. The one downside is for new sales I have to spread and spray. For me, the trade-off is worth it.

tjsquickcuts
04-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Timing is the key with Bermuda Grass. You really have to watch the weather patterns and try to time your first app with the first warm day in Late Jan, or Feb. R1 is Pre-M (0-0-8 most cases) followed with R2 4 weeks later with a blanket app of 3 way mix. R3 4-6 weeks later with 36-3-10 to catch the early green fever and give customers what they want.
This how the year has gone so far....
Feb. 10 with R1
Mar. 9 with R2 w/ Snap Shot
April 6th with R3 and w/ Landscape Fert...

So far so good, only minor breakage near the edges of the lawns, but not much crabgrass which is always good. From here on out, spot treatments with Cosair to get rid of any fescue clumps or any other broadleaf weeds.

We have 12 treatment program that we do, 4 Control apps, 4 Fert apps, 1 Lime, 1 iron, 1 landscape Pre-M (snapshot), & 1 Slow release Landscape Fert. I sell the service and the expectations as well. Any new lawn, I let the customer know that it could be up to 6 months or longer before we have control of the weeds, especially this late in the season. Good luck, this is a weird year for Bermuda with all the up and down temps. We are suppose to be back into the Mid 30's again for about 2 days, almost similiar to last year where the freeze started the domino effect for the rest of the season that was followed by the drought.

yardprospraying
04-10-2008, 12:20 AM
[QUOTE=We have 12 treatment program that we do, 4 Control apps, 4 Fert apps, 1 Lime, 1 iron, 1 landscape Pre-M (snapshot), & 1 Slow release Landscape Fert. I sell the service and the expectations as well. Any new lawn, I let the customer know that it could be up to 6 months or longer before we have control of the weeds, especially this late in the season. Good luck, this is a weird year for Bermuda with all the up and down temps. We are suppose to be back into the Mid 30's again for about 2 days, almost similiar to last year where the freeze started the domino effect for the rest of the season that was followed by the drought.[/QUOTE]

Wow 12 applications!!!! I bet you have the cleanest lawns around. We only do 5 apps. We have picked up approx. 30 new TG customers last month because they went from 5 apps. to 8 apps. I guess if the market allows, go for it.

John.

Turfdoctor1
04-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Wow 12 applications!!!! I bet you have the cleanest lawns around. We only do 5 apps. We have picked up approx. 30 new TG customers last month because they went from 5 apps. to 8 apps. I guess if the market allows, go for it.

John.

i thought the same thing!

this is the hardest part of the season for me. Because even in my customers lawns that i have retained for the last couple of years I cannot prevent the dandelion, wild violet, and a few others.

Anybody else in the transition zone spray R2 with split barricade, broadleaf control, and fertilizer on 50% dormant Bermuda?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Did you get blown away last night Ted? I hope everyone is safe, looked nasty in C. Arkansas.

ted putnam
04-10-2008, 08:10 AM
i thought the same thing!

this is the hardest part of the season for me. Because even in my customers lawns that i have retained for the last couple of years I cannot prevent the dandelion, wild violet, and a few others.

Anybody else in the transition zone spray R2 with split barricade, broadleaf control, and fertilizer on 50% dormant Bermuda?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Did you get blown away last night Ted? I hope everyone is safe, looked nasty in C. Arkansas.

It's looking nasty for all of us in Arkansas this morning. 75mph winds with this one coming at us. Did some major damage in Dallas last night. We've had over 16 inches of rain since March 1st. I'm running 3 weeks behind schedule from all the weather. I'm trying to figure out how to mount my spreader hopper to my canoe:laugh: Got any ideas on that one for me Josh!

Turfdoctor1
04-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Ted,

you are crafty. how about rigging something up to a trolling motor? use the prop for the spreader.

just kidding, obviously. the weather does suck though. i've been kind of lucky, because I was not planning on starting R2 til next week. we are still only about 10% green here.

ted putnam
04-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Ted,

you are crafty. how about rigging something up to a trolling motor? use the prop for the spreader.

just kidding, obviously. the weather does suck though. i've been kind of lucky, because I was not planning on starting R2 til next week. we are still only about 10% green here.

Same here about 10-15%. That's the only thing saving me. I'll have to jam it out when the weather cooperates though. Losing on average 2 days a week is really starting to put a damper on things. Can't get production done...phone stops ringing cause nobody goes out in their yard...sucks all the way around!

JFF
05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
7 more killed this week from the weather. We are taking a beating from the weather here. And I was so happy to get away from the west coast earthquakes! Hope everybody made it through the spring OK. Tornado season will hopefully end soon.

Spring has been a real mess here. All the moisture has resulted in an early start to the photinia leaf spot season and powdery mildew is flat going berserk!

Meanwhile, the big weed control outfits have been out spraying in hurricane force winds and during monsoon type rains. Ah... quotas!

I predict an above average season for crabgrass, personally.