PDA

View Full Version : Names, common names for 2, 4-d Ester, cost, where to buy.

sedge
04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanx for the input on the 2, 4-d ester, but what are some of the common names, who makes it and where can we buy it and the cost?

Thanx again

greendoctor
04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Usually 2,4-D ester is known as Low Vol 4 or Low Vol 6. That name refers to the low volatility long chain ester and the lb per gallon of the ester in the formulation. Forget looking for this at a turf distributor such as Lesco. You will find it easily at farmer's co-ops and feed stores. I get mine from UAP in Hawaii for about $80 per 2.5 gallon. That is for the Low Vol 6. The price does not bother me because I get 10 acres at turf rates and 5 acre at IVM/noncrop rates out of each jug..

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm a little rusty, but isn't LV6 specific to agricultural uses?

nik
04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Turf is still on at least on of the LV6 products. Mind the inversions when you use it.

Hermanator
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Turf is still on at least on of the LV6 products. Mind the inversions when you use it.

What inversions are you referring to exactly?

VARMIT COMMISSION
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes LV-6 is ok to use on residential lawns. I thought the only difference LV-4 and LV-6 was one had 4 pounds of active and the other had 6 pounds of active. You use less 6 than 4 and it is cheaper anyways. Am I correct?

Atlantic Lawn
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Ah.... Inversion...I seem to remember something about that ....small spray droplets remain suspended and concentrated. They can later be blown off target in unpredictable directions. Happens when calm and usually in early morning or late like before dusk....

PSUTURFGEEK
04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Cool Power and Lesco three-way ester 2 are pretty much the same product, you can also get many other ester formulations at Lesco also or any ag dealer too just check the ag label first so you don't get caught cheating. I have also bought 55gallon drums and 250 gallon Yotes of just ester and mixed it myself.

Whitey4
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Inversions... a review!

When the air is cool near the ground and warmer above. The drift cloud from a spray app will not rise into the warm air, and fail to dissipate effectively. The basics say you should not spray at all under these conditions. It results in distant drift and off target apps. Cold ground and a warm weather front can cause an inversion.

The textbook says to light a small leaf fire, and watch where the smoke goes.... if it tops out instead of continuing upwards, there is an inversion.

I know all the repsonible applicators here NEVER spray during an inversion.

;)

AustinLawnscape
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
You can buy 2,4-D (ester or amine), PBI/Gordon Brush Killer (Trimec) and PBI/Gordon Pronto Big N' Tuff Killer (glyphosate 41%) at Tractor Supply. I'm studying cost vs. AI now.