PDA

View Full Version : Scag Turf Tiger 61"

pfisdon
01-26-2000, 02:27 PM
I am currently looking into a new ZTR.Was wondering if anyone had any exprience with the Scag Turf Tiger.

jjb51
01-26-2000, 02:53 PM
Some people swear by them, some at them. Look around you (summer time) and you will see them all. They sell thousands of them a year and all buyers aren't going to be happy, nor all unhappy. There are lots of mowers out there and if everybody bought Dixie Choppers or Exmark ect ect they wouldn't soon have any competition,which just isn't the case. 61&quot; 25hp Kohler $6699.99 or 61&quot; 23hp Kawasaki $6569. Retro 67 gave me those prices, from a brochure he had. If you have any questions you can find him on this forum or Delphi forum he monitors.<br>Good luck and I guess it goes back to the old Chevy and Ford debate.

Lazer
01-26-2000, 03:04 PM
jbb51,<br>I agree with your sentiments, but some machines do have an edge over other units. I think Scag belongs in the upper echealon of available mowers.

hall
01-26-2000, 03:56 PM
I bought a 61&quot; Scag Turf Tiger with the kawasaki engine. <p>This machine is very poorly designed. It leaves lumps when it is real humid or even a little damp. <p>Scag made this machine with a shaft drive.. MISTAKE.. It pulls to much horse power. Also, the deck is poorly designed. It is not deep enough. I think this is what causes the clumping. <p>I thought my Scag was the best until I tried the eXamark Lazer Z. The eXmark out performs in every way. <p>----------<br>Charles Keough<br>&lt;a href = http://www.lawnsite.com&gt;http://www.LawnSite.com&lt;/a&gt;

Eric ELM
01-26-2000, 05:07 PM
I have talked to two guys that have them and they have both had wheel motor problems. This can also come from getting air in the system when changing oil or filters in the hyraulic sytem or from never changing the filters. This is something I've heard about them that hasn't been posted yet. <br>These Exmarks are sounding so good, I would run out and buy 1, but then I would have to change my name to Lazer, and we can't have two of them. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Millertime34
01-26-2000, 06:24 PM
Eric- by the looks of the lawns on your site, I wouldn't consider changing. The lawns look awesome. I have a Lazer and love it. Even your great looking lawns haven't persuaded me to change to a Chopper yet...<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com

Keith
01-26-2000, 06:40 PM
I had a problem with Scags walkbehind. The decks were poorly designed and did not cut as expected. After that, I even considered demo-ing a Tiger, but the dealer said the distributor no longer would supply demos for potential customers to try out.....no thanks.

Lazer
01-26-2000, 07:08 PM
Millertime,<br>I'll have a cold one to that! Do you think perhaps Eric took pictures of a lawn cut with a Lazer and posted them on his website? :)

curlawngreen
01-26-2000, 07:19 PM
Why would anyone want a lawn that looked like that?

lawnman
01-26-2000, 09:10 PM
I have a 52&quot; Scag Turf Tiger and only have found one problem with it. The clutch went on it at 450 hours. But, I am still running the original belts at 600 hours with no wear in sight. It has a nice cut as well. It does not clump when used with low lift blades unless the grass is very wet.

Charles
01-27-2000, 09:28 AM
Curlawngreen, someone who likes baseball:)

Evan528
02-01-2000, 01:14 PM
I personally hate scags. many people use the tigers in my area. they leave many clumps and cut horrible in wet or even damp grass. besides the horrible cut they also seem to be prone to alot of powertrain problems and leaks. i have used scag walk behinds and riders and i would definitly not recomend them! they used to be good years ago and now the only thing selling them is the name.

Retro67
02-01-2000, 01:24 PM
Evan528-<p>I am wondering what brand(s) you do like, and why.&lt;p&gt;John

Evan528
02-01-2000, 03:17 PM
lazer, i have a toro z master with a 62inch deck and a 25hp engine.....that machine i love. it cuts incredibly in all conditions, it has a very smooth ride and it had many conviences. you can probly relate because its a exmark lazer with a toro deck (a plus) ,the super flow system is great. i have a walk behind gravely wich i love also. in five years its never been down once and it cuts great. my other rider is a gravely 3 wheeler with a 60inch cut.... wich im selling this spring. cuts horrible, clumps like you can beleave. (even in dry grass) it drives very smooth but is very slow. over all i just could do with out it. gravels are built very solid but the 3 wheeler rider i would not recomend.

Evan528
02-01-2000, 03:20 PM
THAT WAS IN RESPNOCE TOWARDS RETRO NOT LAZER. SORRY ABOUT THAT.

AB Lawn Care
02-01-2000, 03:52 PM
All that I am going to say is that a company in my city bought two,they used them to cut the parks and citys grass.I have never seen a mower cut so badly.I did not see much clumping but they scalped the parks up so bad that half my clients that never talked about the city parks where all saying they though it was terrible.If anyone is reading this reply and thinking of buying one DON'T!!!!!!Buy a dixie,lazer z,walker,ferris,toro or anything but this mower.<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care <br>

pfisdon
02-01-2000, 05:50 PM
I have used scag hydo walk behinds for 10 years and had no problems whatsoever.As for scalping,I wonder about the operators not the machines. Scag has just came out with new decks,Advantage Decks, that should stop the grass clippings from clumping.

HOMER
02-01-2000, 07:11 PM
I used to think a Dixie Chopper would scalp bad, till I learned how to drive it. The operator in my opinion is the one in control. If he can't approach a terrace or any other imperfection in the terrain at the proper angle and not make a deck ht. adjustment, he isn't skilled enough to be an operator. Too many people think that cutting grass is simple. It takes a little common sense and an eye for quality. I don't have any problems with my old scag super z scalping now that I adjusted the wheels properly. Heck, my 50&quot; chopper ain't go nary a wheel on her, it's all in how you do it. Believe it or not, I've even seen a Lazer scalp, and they have 25 anti scalp wheels on them!<p>Homer