PDA

View Full Version : Another RSVP Publications thread...

Summerscapes
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
RSVP Publications have been mentioned in a handful of other threads...I just want to get some points summarized in one location as I go through my decision making process.

I have a meeting set up with my local rep and want everyone's input before I sit down with him.

RSVP Publications http://www.rsvppublications.com/
1) They allow one contractor per industry.
2) They send out a deck of cards to more or less high-end homes
3) They send these decks out to 50k homes above $XXXk
4) He quoted me $0.0x per home
5) This quote is per mailing correct?

What other questions should I pose?

Thanks

extlights
04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
We use them for the decks and our other mailings. Yes, they send it out to 50,000 homes from the most expensive on down to whenever the 50,000 ends. The quote that they gave you should be all inclusive (ie. making of the cards, the list and postage) for a one time mailing of whichever area you choose. Sometimes you can get a better deal if you commit to another mailing or 2 throughout the year.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. It's probably the best bang for the buck when it comes down to quantity. We just sent out 30,000 6X9 cards that they made for us and it was a whole lot more money than the deck. We've gotten mixed results with the deck, but everytime we used it we see some positive results from it....just never anything real consistant.

M&N Maintenance
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
They do not committ to one type of vendor per mailing. We used them for holiday decorating and when we did our first mailer in sept of 07 we were the only ones. The next mailer we were in for oct 07 there were three other competitors. We have good and bad feelings about rsvp.

extlights
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
They do not committ to one type of vendor per mailing. We used them for holiday decorating and when we did our first mailer in sept of 07 we were the only ones. The next mailer we were in for oct 07 there were three other competitors. We have good and bad feelings about rsvp.

Hmmm, I know it said in our contract with them that only one contractor/advertiser per catagory. Was it maybe a couple of different types of companies from yours that does Holiday lighting as a part of their services, and not just holiday lighting? I guess this is where it gets tricky....you could have a landscape lighting guy advertising on there and he does Holiday lighting....a hardscapes guy who also does Holiday Lighting, and a Landscape guy who does Holiday lighting. I guess technically they are 3 different catagories of companies who happen to offer a same service around the Holidays. Dunno...I guess this could happen?:confused:

Mike M
04-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Another cool item: rsvp has a list they will forward you of people who checked off an interest in your biz. I just got mine today with an additional 7 people who had not called me directly.

I'm also looking forward to round two and then three, when they say people tend to respond the most. We'll see.

Lite4
04-09-2008, 02:39 AM
I was told they allow 2 contractor or "like" businesses at a time.

The Lighting Geek
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
what several card decks here do is charge you more to be exclusive. I was quoted one price with no more than 3 competitors and another for exclusivity.
I believe here the difference was about $500 a mailing. It may be different depending on how big the deck is, the bigger the deck the more they might charge for exclusivity.

M&N Maintenance
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, I know it said in our contract with them that only one contractor/advertiser per catagory. Was it maybe a couple of different types of companies from yours that does Holiday lighting as a part of their services, and not just holiday lighting? I guess this is where it gets tricky....you could have a landscape lighting guy advertising on there and he does Holiday lighting....a hardscapes guy who also does Holiday Lighting, and a Landscape guy who does Holiday lighting. I guess technically they are 3 different catagories of companies who happen to offer a same service around the Holidays. Dunno...I guess this could happen?
The other advertisers were strictly holiday lighting. What it did do for me was to validate my service.

Chris J
04-14-2008, 09:42 PM
In each city/area, the RSVP dealerships are franchises. Therefore, each franchise can do whatever they want. I used to do business with them until I had a HUGE falling out because of the "exclusivity" crap. They signed on another lighting only company while I was still advertising with them, and offered to lower my rate to compensate me for it. NO THANKS! I guess their coverage amount has to do with the population because they were sending 100,000 cards to my market. I now use City Publications, which is basically the same thing. I've had much better service with them.
If you need any more info, just let me know.

MarkOlex
04-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I have found that the RSVP decks do not work well in my area. However, the individual post cards they produce (6x9) do very well.

I would like to know about success you all have had with internet leads. My marketing guy is pushing me to do this.

Chris J
04-22-2008, 11:54 PM
It all depends on what you mean. You DO need a website that describes your services and your value. You don't want to get into some kind of advertising gimmic where they push your website for a fee. Websites have their place in any business, some more than others. I get a lot of business from my website, but that is coupled with a lot of other advertising that pushes the customer to the website for further information only. Yes, you do need a website. No, don't be suckered into a scam where someone is offering to place an ad on the web for you. The ROI will not be sufficient.

MarkOlex
04-23-2008, 08:45 AM
It all depends on what you mean. You DO need a website that describes your services and your value. You don't want to get into some kind of advertising gimmic where they push your website for a fee. Websites have their place in any business, some more than others. I get a lot of business from my website, but that is coupled with a lot of other advertising that pushes the customer to the website for further information only. Yes, you do need a website. No, don't be suckered into a scam where someone is offering to place an ad on the web for you. The ROI will not be sufficient.

Marketing on the web, this is in addition to our direct mail campaign, like google adwords. My marketing guy insists that it will attract the clientele I am looking for and the cost per lead will be cheaper than other avenues.

Mike M
04-23-2008, 09:01 AM
The google thing is free, to have your business on their map and to have google coupons, and to have your site indexed so it comes up a lot.

Chris J
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm not too familiar with it, but my instinct tells me to invest your money elsewhere. Maybe some of the others can provide a little more valuable information on the subject, but I'm looking at this in much the same way as phone book ads. If someone is "searching" they are going to call you and several others, which will place you in a bidding war with no regard or value placed on experience, methods or materials. You need to target qualified customers and not make yourself so redily available to the general public. Everyone wants what we provide, but the sad truth of it is not everyone can afford it. Even though, some will still attempt to get several bids in the hopes that someone will do it for dirt cheap. Don't spend too much time chasing dead leads. Unless you're the guy who low balls the industry!

extlights
04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Listen to your marketing guy.

Chris J
04-23-2008, 07:43 PM
.....and let us know how it is working for you in a few months.

klkanders
04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I got a deck of cards today for my area. None of the bigger landscape companies were in it just a couple of the newbies. I went thru the deck and pulled out 2 that caught my eye:
First one was a statue place that has fountains, birdbaths, pots, benches, deer, etc. I called and asked if anyone ever mentioned to customers about lighting their fine products at night. No I was told. It turns out this business is redoing their outdoor display at the store and I could sure stop by to discuss possibly doing some lighting on it.

Second company promotes outdoor living lifestyles selling gas fireplaces, stoves, firepits and outdoor kitchens. I called and spoke with owner stating his card caught my attention and asked if he worked exclusively with any of the landscapers in the area. He stated he did not and went a step further saying he would be interested in a mutual referral deal for landscaping and lighting.

So in this instance I'm liking RSVP!
Keith

Firefly Lighting
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
The one thing that you should be aware of with card deck companies is that they WILL sometimes send the decks out later than the agreed upon date if the deck is not full. I have been doing card decks for 9 years now and I had that problem with RSVP last holiday season. With no advance notice they changed my offer date and sent the deck out 1 month late. I have dropped them as a vendor since it cost me 10's of thousands of dollars in lost Christmas revenue. If I were a new person getting in to card decks I would make sure that there are provisions in your contract for them sticking to mail dates.

Thanks

Lite4
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks Matt,
I was just getting ready to place my first order with RSVP. I will have to ask them about this. Thanks for the info.

NightScenes
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree with Chris when it comes to the web. I direct all potential clients to my site and include it in all advertising but I don't pay for those "placement" services. When I do get calls from those who "find me on the internet" they are tire kickers and want a "bid". I have not gotten past the first phone call with these people (thank goodness). Use your website as a tool, like your brochure, you'll find it works very well that way.

MKeys
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I am looking at these responses, and find it insightful on a few topics. We have used RSVP Publications for about 3 years in the Tacoma and Olympia area, and have seen awesome results.

I hope the best for all of you!

Mike