PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules on name infringement?

SkyLawncare
04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I just went on State of Florida's website and did a search for something similar to what I planned on and came up with a company of similar name.

I don't need a business license where I reside. I was planning on going with Sky Lawncare / skylawncare.com. I see there's a company registered near Orlando with the name Sky Lawn Service, LLC.

Is there a conflict of interest there or am I good to go?

I know theres lots of companies across the country that share the same name. I don't know if this would ever be an issue because the names are technically different, or if it would only be an issue if I has a business license in the same city.

I'm guessing I don't have anything to worry about, but it's always good to think about / ask about these types of things.

mjlcare
04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
if theres is sky lawn services and yours is sky lawn care, totally different name. in florida there was MJ Lawn Care
and i have M.J. Lawn Care back when i got my LLC

where at in jacksonville

mngrassguy
04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Sounds good. Google it. If nobody uses that exact name in your state, Go for it.

SkyLawncare
04-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Thats what I thought. Thanks for the reassurance. :usflag:

mjlcare
04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
where you at in jacksonville

SkyLawncare
04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I live in your service territory! ;)

J/K :laugh:

I'm in Clay County.

SkyLawncare
04-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Well actually, I see on your website that you service orange park and surrounding areas, so I guess I do live in your service territory. :eek:

Kudos btw for having a website :clapping:

mjlcare
04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
are you in fleming like around eagle harbor, i figured when you said that you didnt need a lisence it was in clay.

SkyLawncare
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I actually live closer to middleburg. I can imagine with all the competition and low-ballers around here you might not be enthusiastic regarding my arrival :hammerhead:

Find it kind of funny not only are we both in the same area, but we joined the site the same month/year.

mjlcare
04-08-2008, 03:36 PM
its not that bad, theres so many homes and im just put out some more flyers today and hopefully ill get some more yards, but more competition is not always bad, i have got more yards from other companies where they didnt want them or they wanted some over in another part of eagle harbor and i wanted these or vice versa, wierd how stuff works out, let me know if ya need some help or have some yards, always looking for more work lol

kleankutslawn
04-08-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah as long as the names aren't the same you are good to go.good look to both of you guys in north Florida

SkyLawncare
04-08-2008, 03:57 PM
its not that bad, theres so many homes and im just put out some more flyers today and hopefully ill get some more yards, but more competition is not always bad, i have got more yards from other companies where they didnt want them or they wanted some over in another part of eagle harbor and i wanted these or vice versa, weird how stuff works out, let me know if ya need some help or have some yards, always looking for more work lol

Yeah, for sure. I'm still in the planning stages right now anyway. Figuring out business structure, creating marketing materials, deciding which ZTR to go with, etc. Be kind of late in the season for me by the time I feel ready. My general plan is to focus on one development at a time and as close to home as possible and build out from there. While the Eagle Harbor area is highly desireable, I was thinking of going out to the Argyle area, but I believe that's Jacksonville where I would need to get a business license there.

If nothing else I could take you out to lunch sometime, or cut some lawns at no charge with you for the experience, since I virtually have none. On some levels that might be viewed as a bad business decision, but like you said, you never know. It could actually work out to be more beneficial for both of us down the road than competitively unwise. Plus I feel I have some great ideas.

Not sure if this would come in handy ever, but from 7-4 I make the reuse water that your customers are using to keep their lawns green. I know theres a guy that comes by every day and fills up his water tank for free, I could probably arrange something like that for you as well, although I'm guessing that guy is doing pest work and it might not benefit you in the same way. Just a thought.

mjlcare
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, for sure. I'm still in the planning stages right now anyway. Figuring out business structure, creating marketing materials, deciding which ZTR to go with, etc. Be kind of late in the season for me by the time I feel ready. My general plan is to focus on one development at a time and as close to home as possible and build out from there. While the Eagle Harbor area is highly desireable, I was thinking of going out to the Argyle area, but I believe that's Jacksonville where I would need to get a business license there.

If nothing else I could take you out to lunch sometime, or cut some lawns at no charge with you for the experience, since I virtually have none. On some levels that might be viewed as a bad business decision, but like you said, you never know. It could actually work out to be more beneficial for both of us down the road than competitively unwise. Plus I feel I have some great ideas.

Not sure if this would come in handy ever, but from 7-4 I make the reuse water that your customers are using to keep their lawns green. I know theres a guy that comes by every day and fills up his water tank for free, I could probably arrange something like that for you as well, although I'm guessing that guy is doing pest work and it might not benefit you in the same way. Just a thought.

pm me your email and we can chat somemore, like i said you never know what can happen. ill pm you back with mine or you can get it from my site

Paulup
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I just went on State of Florida's website and did a search for something similar to what I planned on and came up with a company of similar name.

I don't need a business license where I reside. I was planning on going with Sky Lawncare / skylawncare.com. I see there's a company registered near Orlando with the name Sky Lawn Service, LLC.

Is there a conflict of interest there or am I good to go?

I know theres lots of companies across the country that share the same name. I don't know if this would ever be an issue because the names are technically different, or if it would only be an issue if I has a business license in the same city.

I'm guessing I don't have anything to worry about, but it's always good to think about / ask about these types of things.

You're in the clear, however, if you were to phonetically use the same name as them, in the same sort of industry, you would be in a heap of trouble. For example, if you were to use the name Skai Lawn Service, LLC. in their area, possibly the entire state, they could take you to court. If you're name wasn't Skai(pronounced Sky) they would probably win. Your Secretary of State's office should have that explained on their website.