PDA

View Full Version : speedzone

silverscapes
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
anyone use speed zone thinking about trying it

Shades of Green LService
04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Using Lesco Red Zone this year. It's a little cheaper than speed zone. Basicly the same product. I'll be starting that tomorrow.

grassman177
04-09-2008, 12:01 AM
i use it, very very very very very very goooooooooooood. i tried a knock off that was even made by pgi gordon and it was not as good. i like it very much, then again i like all thier products alot!

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I used it for 2 years and then cut it out. It's a good product, but not worth the premium they charge.

I liked it for its quick kill in cool weather... and now I just go straight 2,4-D Ester and get the same speed, but for a quarter of the price...

Marcos
04-09-2008, 01:49 AM
anyone use speed zone thinking about trying it

Speed Zone and Quicksilver have the same trait :
When used ALONE.....they usually burn down too fast to translocate thoroughly to the ROOTS !!

Alot of people get sooooooooo excited about their exxxxxxxxxcellant results with using these two products, when they see nice "brown & crispy" weeds all over the place...
...that they don't even realize that alot of the root tissue is STILL ALIVE and ready to regenerate all over again.

That's exactly why these products should be used (and even then, only sparingly), as "spiking" agents to a 2, 4-D or other (slower) traditional systemic broadleaf spray solution.

Shades of Green LService
04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
When used ALONE.....they usually burn down too fast to translocate thoroughly to the ROOTS !!

Alot of people get sooooooooo excited about their exxxxxxxxxcellant results with using these two products, when they see nice "brown & crispy" weeds all over the place...
...that they don't even realize that alot of the root tissue is STILL ALIVE and ready to regenerate all over again.

That's exactly why these products should be used (and even then, only sparingly), as "spiking" agents to a 2, 4-D or other (slower) traditional systemic broadleaf spray solution.

Last i checked Speed zone contains 29% 2,4-d.

humble1
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM

doesnt speed zone have somewhere around 20% 2-4d?

grassman177
04-10-2008, 09:23 AM
hey mis imformed guy, it kills the roots and keeps weeds at bay for about 3 or 4 weeks later with a proper application. it has residual and does not miss a step. i know this from A .working witht he product since it was only a trial sample, and B. the company who developed it is in my backyard so to speak and one of my college teachers is a high up dude at that company and he tells you how it is .

pieperlc
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Grassman,
I've heard that speedzone has some residual, but have never read that in any literature, on the label, etc. Is that really true?

I've been using the product almost exclusively for the last 3 years. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Using straight 2-4,D I could never touch clover in the springtime, even 3-way says clover control should be done in fall or go highest allowable rate. Speedzone will smoke it no problem. You could use speedzone to cleanup your lawns, then switch to another cheaper product if cost was a factor. I always thought that would be what I would do, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do so because I know I would be sacrificing some quality. You just have to charge accordingly. You might even be able to make a name for yourself in the abililty to kill the weeds the other guy missed.

Marcos,
I don't want to sound like a know it all, but speedzone is 3-way with quicksilver in it.

grassman177
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
yeah, right on. i cant bring myself to use cheaper 3 ways now that speedzone is mixed for me. it is just too good, but yeah i get the results other companies doent and then get their customers. all cause i am willing to spend the money and it really does not affect the bottom line when you have no call backs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

causalitist
04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
speedzone isnt that bad, i think its like $0.70 per thousand sqrft .. more than trimec 992 at around $0.37 per, or classic at $0.44, but its like an extra$2.60- $3.30 on a 10k lawn. nothing to cry about in my book if it works much better.

RigglePLC
04-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok I used Surge (which is similar to speedzone only it contains three-way plus sulfentrazone not carfentrazone). Used it about 3 days ago. On a lawn that had been reseded last fall, and it had a lot of weeds. Hand sprayer. Temperature was about 50 and down to 35 at night. Checked it after 3 days and it had good curling of the leaves and stems. Most of the weeds showed necrosis, burning and browning on their upper leaf surface--sometimes brown spots, probably due to the sulfentrazone. Seems like it has a contact action.

greendoctor
04-13-2008, 04:28 AM
yeah, right on. i cant bring myself to use cheaper 3 ways now that speedzone is mixed for me. it is just too good, but yeah i get the results other companies doent and then get their customers. all cause i am willing to spend the money and it really does not affect the bottom line when you have no call backs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What differentiates me from all of the big "landscapers" in town is I spend the money to get the results. I have no issues with Speedzone costing $80 per gallon. I also keep Blade, Certainty, Image and Quicksilver with me at all times as well. What I am known for is killing weeds and not making the lawn look like a missile test site. It is a very rare event that I am spotting a lawn with glyphosate. Like pieperlc, I make a name for myself gaining control over lawns that most people would tear out and re-sod. I charge $150 per 1000 sq ft per month, but my clients know it is money well spent. Sure the lawn can be killed and redone, but what stops weeds from reinfesting the lawn after spending up to $5000 per 1000 sq ft?.

SpreadNSpray
04-13-2008, 08:48 AM
$150 per 1000sqf per Month?

5000sqf lawn = $9000.00 per year
100, small 5k lawns = $900,000.00 per year

You must be loaded! With a lot of free time.

TLS
04-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I've spot sprayed Speedzone in the past with my backpack sprayer and had excellent results in the cooler weather and on tough weeds. Now that I have a new PG Magnum, I decided to use it on my first round with granular Dimension. It's now 3 days later, and from the few I've driven by, and my own yard, I'm very impressed.

It is almost DOUBLE the cost of Triplet for me. But with this being my first season, I didn't want to take any chances. Plus with our late warm fall, weeds are really early and there are lots of them! Don't remember seeing dandilions here prior to tax day!

greendoctor
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
$150 per 1000sqf per Month?

5000sqf lawn = $9000.00 per year
100, small 5k lawns = $900,000.00 per year

You must be loaded! With a lot of free time.

Actually no. I maintain 20 accounts right now and I live very comfortably. I went into business for myself last year. On average, I spend up to 10 hours per month, per account. I am not a "throw and go" operation. I spend a lot of time monitoring for weeds, pests, irrigation issues and nutritional problems. Although I do make my own hours and spend about 30-40 hours per week actually working. Due to some health issues, I cannot be someone else's employee working 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I used to work a 7AM-4PM day even in summer and that is hard on even guys in perfect health. No more. I work from 7-10 and 3 til dark.

humble1
04-14-2008, 11:08 PM

speedzone southern?