PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Locklin advocated DIY lighting

pete scalia
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
http://men.msn.com/articlepm.aspx?cp-documentid=760923

Take a look at this article. If the late Mr. Locklin did not sell to do it yourselfers they why did he participate in and advocate DIY activity for this article? His comments are geared toward the DIYer. What's up with that?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Clearly you don't have a lot of experience being interviewed by the media.

Show me one quote in that article where Bill advised, promoted or encouraged a DIY-er to install their own lighting system. If you have ever been interviewed for an article then you would know that writers and editors can easily make use of your contributions in a piece that might not perfectly reflect your position. It happens all the time.

Bill was a big fan of Popular Mechanics Magazine. Clearly they interviewed him for an article and then used his contribution in a piece that relied upon other's input to show how a simple lighting system could be installed.

Bill always put the professional contractor first. He launched his business on the back of his electrical contracting experience, and never forgot about the contractors thereafter.

irrig8r
04-09-2008, 01:30 AM
http://men.msn.com/articlepm.aspx?cp-documentid=760923

Take a look at this article. If the late Mr. Locklin did not sell to do it yourselfers they why did he participate in and advocate DIY activity for this article? His comments are geared toward the DIYer. What's up with that?

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

JoeyD
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
300w on 12ga huh?? That article was horrible.

pete scalia
04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Clearly you don't have a lot of experience being interviewed by the media.

Show me one quote in that article where Bill advised, promoted or encouraged a DIY-er to install their own lighting system. If you have ever been interviewed for an article then you would know that writers and editors can easily make use of your contributions in a piece that might not perfectly reflect your position. It happens all the time.

Bill was a big fan of Popular Mechanics Magazine. Clearly they interviewed him for an article and then used his contribution in a piece that relied upon other's input to show how a simple lighting system could be installed.

Bill always put the professional contractor first. He launched his business on the back of his electrical contracting experience, and never forgot about the contractors thereafter.

You clearly have tunnel vision and a reading comprehension problem. It is wise before contributing to an article to make sure that your "message" is in line with that of the agenda of the author and the magazine. Doing an article for a DIYer magazine whether you like the magazine or not is foolish if you don't sell your product to this market. I saw zero promotion or recommendation of hiring professionals by Mr. Locklin. In fact his advice was to aid and assist them. He's sending them out with a flashlight to experiment. As a professional I would have no desire to show how simple a lighting system could be installed. If it where so simple then what are we doing in business. I find the article totally undercut the value of the outdoor lighting pro who makes his living installing systems. You go to bed with dogs you end up with fleas. You don't do an interview with playboy magazine if you're a Mormon. Common sense dictates that.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Hope you all have a great day