PDA

View Full Version : My fall clean up rig

Scotty
11-30-2001, 01:47 PM
After 18 years, I think I've finally figured out a good setup! What do you guys think. Solid stake sides are removable for summer cutting.

Scotty
11-30-2001, 01:51 PM
since i can't figure out how to post more then one picture at a time, I will do it in four posts ...

Scotty
11-30-2001, 01:52 PM
and #3!

Scotty
11-30-2001, 01:53 PM
and last but not least ... #4.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 02:03 PM
Not bad, how long is the toung on the trailer?

Higher side might let you squeese more leaves in too.

Richard Martin
11-30-2001, 02:07 PM
Man that is one nice looking rig. A whole lot of rolling money.

mdb landscaping
11-30-2001, 02:22 PM
i love the truck. thats exactly what i want down the line. great set up

Runner
11-30-2001, 02:30 PM
Excellent! You could always go higher if you ever wanted to, also. I used to have split rail racks on mine, the I just put plywood around the insides. By the way, that is one nice outfit! What are you cutting with?

Rooster
11-30-2001, 02:37 PM
Scotty,

Nice looking set up.

Great looking grass also!

PRECISION LC
11-30-2001, 03:25 PM
that looks great. there is a lco here in wichita that has one very similar. i hope that somewhere down the line i will be able to gta rig like that. how long have you been peicing it together?
kyle

SLS
11-30-2001, 03:25 PM
Wow! That's a real nice setup you got there! Good going!

I see you are in Livonia. My wife was born there...still has family in Farmington Hills area. Uncle is a LCO out in Bellville. Neat places! I love visiting Detroit. :)

Tell the Red Wings hello from the Predators! :D

lawrence stone
11-30-2001, 03:29 PM
Exactly how much tongue weight is on the back of that hitch?

Only a flatlander could use a setup like that. You could never use that in my area the roads are too narrow, windy, hilly, and there is not always parking available along the roadside.

I have seen countless trailers like that with way too much tongue weight like the one in your pics with the trailer frame broken clean in half, left for dead on I-80 or I-81 right after a pavement heave in the winter months.

TotalLawn
11-30-2001, 03:37 PM
I REALLY like it!!!

Looks just like mine!!!:blob3:

tomoaktree
11-30-2001, 03:38 PM
Nice outfit . Lookin' good!

TotalLawn
11-30-2001, 03:39 PM
and the truck

Had to do it in 2 pics because the truck is hooked up to the flatbed now...

awm
11-30-2001, 03:51 PM
wanta make sure i dont MINCE wds,or compliment you on your efforts.i prefer mulching but could make some good money with that good looking setup.good work and good luck.

stslawncare
11-30-2001, 04:42 PM
hey, both u guys got very nice setups, i like that tool box on ur truck totallawn. to both of u guys would u like ur pics on my site along with the many others that are already there?

CSRA Landscaping
11-30-2001, 04:54 PM
Looks real nice. I've been keeping my eyes open for a truck like that.

cclllc
11-30-2001, 05:10 PM
Scotty,Looks good.What type of leaf blower is that ?info please.

Runner
11-30-2001, 05:12 PM
Those 1 tons are hard to beat for stuff like that. That's a pretty unique looking box on that truck, with that toolbox like that. Have you ever considered just putting an underbody box on it? I have one on mine, about 3 feet wide, I think, and I just love it. Holds everything, including another complete tool set. Well worth it!;)

landscaper3
11-30-2001, 05:24 PM

landscaper3
11-30-2001, 05:25 PM
Looks real nice! Are you going to letter up the truck and trailer? You gotta spend money to make money your set up is the way to go! You know a enclosed trailer can save you alot of cash in the long run which you probly aready figured out and looks much more proffesional!

Davis TLC
11-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Scottty, TotalLawn, good looking setups there guys. Have either of you considered making your boxes taller to handle more leaves? Less trips to dump.

scottt
11-30-2001, 05:36 PM
Nice looking rigs guys.

TotalLawn,
I had a lock just like the one on your trailer until somebody took it off and stole my trailer. Saw it on tape and it didn't take them long at all. If you want something bigger and stronger BA Hitch and Trailer at 71st and garnett sells some great locks. It's what I use now and it would take a while to get it off. It looks like you keep it at your home, but you never know how far thieves will go.

thelawnguy
11-30-2001, 05:51 PM
I saw two setups today, both had the loader mounted to the truck's plow frame, discharge was solid fiberglas pipe over the cab into the front of the box. The pipe was notched at the loader to enable it to dump.

gogetter
11-30-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

I have seen countless trailers like that with way too much tongue weight like the one in your pics with the trailer frame broken clean in half, left for dead on I-80 or I-81 right after a pavement heave in the winter months.

Countless trailers left for dead on the roadside huh? Hold on, I have to get my boots.:rolleyes:

Guido
11-30-2001, 07:12 PM
They look really good. But, I wouldn't be the big mouthed Italian I am without a little constructive critisism (sp?).

Scotty......you need to put the sides up a little higher on that rig when your working leaves. Less trips to dump, and the truck will handle it.

Also, do you create a lot of dust with just that tarp on top? Think about making a roof with some screen or mesh in it.

Brian..... Check out some of those underbody truck boxes like were suggested above. It will save you some space and some wind resistance too.......might even save a bit on gas!

captdevo
11-30-2001, 07:21 PM
Nice!!!

Green Care
11-30-2001, 07:59 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TotalLawn
11-30-2001, 08:05 PM
I plan to get the underbody boxes eventually. I bought the truck in April and haven't had the time (or money) to get them on yet.

Scottie (STS Lawn Care) If you want to post a pic use this one...

AltaLawnCare
11-30-2001, 09:39 PM
Very nice, I love seeing those 1-Ton trucks and big trailers!

:blob3:

Nice looking Toros too!

Scotty
12-01-2001, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys for all the feedback, I'll try to answer some of the questions about my rig.

Lawngodfather the tongue is 5' with a pintle hitch.

Runner we run two 60" DC and one 36" hydro Bunton walk behind

Precision LC the truck is a 1997 and the trailer is 2000 Wells Cargo. I've used a leaf loaders for 15 years, but my other setups were on open trailers. I evolved to this setup in 2000.

Lawrence Stone I don't have exact numbers on tongue weight, but I do load both DC in rear of trailer to counter additional tongue weight. Plus leaf loader only used for one month.

cclllc I use a Billy Goat leaf loader with a 18hp Vanguard engine, the intake hose is 10" dia. I had the base made to raise loader 6'' the base is bolted to the tongue and the loader is bolted to the base. When not in use I remove base and loader.

Landscaper3 I have lettering on truck, I do not plan on lettering trailer

Scotty
12-01-2001, 01:26 AM
Guido, taller sides would be nice, but I was just trying to keep metal sides rather then having plywood running up higher and keeping it painted and storing all the wood. I can go from flatbed to clean up bed in a half hour, everything is bolted together. Returning back to flat bed is even quicker, 15 minutes. As far as using screening or mesh, I've tried both in the past and the biggest problem I had was the air could not vent quick enough. Using the tightly meshed tarp over the entire box seemed to work excellent for venting. With dry leaves, there is extremely fine leaf dust which gathers on the roof and hood of the truck which is easily blown off. I do need to lay a towel over the vents on the hood, just beneath the windshield, to block dust. Otherwise it clogs up heater core.

Strongmd
12-01-2001, 05:29 AM
Just wanted to throw a picture of my rig in.

Strongmd
12-01-2001, 05:31 AM
Before anyone comments, the vac has since been raised by a foot. It's attached to my plow a-frame by the same pins the plow attaches to. It can be raised and lowered with the plow hydraulics. 20hp kohler and the box has 21 cu.yd. capacity.

Guido
12-01-2001, 07:20 AM
Now thats a leaf removal rig!

Matt, beutiful setup man.

Equipguy
12-01-2001, 07:44 AM
Nice looking set up!

MOW ED
12-01-2001, 09:52 AM
Now thats a rig!!

Do you have adequate clearance going under the bridges?

lawrence stone
12-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Scotty
With dry leaves, there is extremely fine leaf dust which gathers on the roof and hood of the truck which is easily blown off. I do need to lay a towel over the vents on the hood, just beneath the windshield, to block dust. Otherwise it clogs up heater core.

You can buy fresh air intake filters for Chevy trucks.

Or what I do with my quasi-classic 1981 RWD Chrysler LeBaron (ice cold R-12 AC) is take out the intake grille of the cowling in late winter and cut to size a room conditioner filter material that mounts to the cowling with plastic wire ties.

I HAVE to work out in all the dust and pollen all year so I at least get some filtered air while leaning and handling in my lead sled.

Most of you folks who live out of the snow belt do not realize the amount of dirt=dust on the road in the early spring from the use of anti skid materials.

lawrence stone
12-01-2001, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Scotty

Lawrence Stone I don't have exact numbers on tongue weight, but I do load both DC in rear of trailer to counter additional tongue weight. Plus leaf loader only used for one month.

As some of the unwashed in this forum my think I do have your best interest in mind.

You have to have well over 500 lbs. dead hitch weight on that hook.

The proper and safer set up would be a class lV frame hitch with the equalizing bars and sway control.

Tvov
12-01-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Strongmd
Just wanted to throw a picture of my rig in.

Nice rig. Pretty much the same setup as myself and others in my area. I have found that the front-mount vacuum works best for my company.

TotalLawn
12-01-2001, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

Or what I do with my quasi-classic 1981 RWD Chrysler LeBaron

I guess with the LeBaron that may be too much weight and sway bars would be needed.

I haven't had ANY problems!!:blob3:

stick9
12-01-2001, 01:49 PM
Hey Strongmd ...

hmmmmmmm ... well, firstoff, how can you possibly see with that tube going up in front of your windshield?! Seems like a pretty large driving hazard! Second, how can you clear clogs in such a long steel tube? Seems like a tongue mounted vacuum with a much shorter, bendable exportion tube would be much more effecient .. That's a pretty long tube, and if you were from around here, that thing would be clogged up in no time flat. And third, do you guys ever compact the debris in the bed? We have a setup similar to Scotty's and it works fantastically ... instead of having the extra long sides, we simply hop up there (maybe once a load) and compact the stuff .. it's really very simple. It's like making wine! :) And then the truck doesn't feel and look so .... top heavy.

Nice looking though!

StiCK-NInE

thelawnguy
12-01-2001, 02:27 PM
strongmd's setup is quite common here-even the municipalities used to use this setup before the era of the supervacs by Tarco.

stick9, first off, most of us are tall enough to see over the windshield so vision isnt a problem. With these 25+ hp vac units clogging is non-existant unless you overfill the box then you need to pop out the pipe (its probably 10" or more dia) and clear it. Ive seen guys dump this, its packed in pretty good just by virtue of the force the shreddings are blown into the truck.

stick9
12-01-2001, 03:22 PM
Hi lawnguy!

First off, I wasn't typing about seeing over the machine .. I'm writing about that fat, obstructive tube that is running vertically through the center of the windshield. I don't know where you're from, but in my area, sight obstructions are illegal while operating a motor vehicle. You aren't even allowed to have something hanging on your rearview mirror.

Second ... You mean to tell me that your vacuum will never clog while you're sucking up wet leaves mixed with pine needles and sticks?!? I absolutely do not believe that .. even in the smallest sense. These piles that we face are so tightly packed .. so heavy ... so dense, that you have to put this stuff through (almost literally) one leaf at a time. The debris gets so sticky and gooey ... to get an idea, it has about the same consistency and look of potato salad. And then, not to mention when the sheer windpower of the machine starts turning the water/muck into green snow/slush, which in turn clogs the tube. That's fun too. Nothing better then trying to undo a tube that is clogged with 1 1/2 feet of green snow! I absolutely cannot imagine trying to clear the tube that is used on that setup ... it would be the nightmare of all nightmares. But I guess if you guys don't have these problems ... that's great! We do.

On the third note, after the stuff is sucked up, it is defintely more fine then it was prior to being vacuumed. However, upon further inspection, we determined that for about 2 1/2 minutes of mantime, we were able to double the space of the enclosure by compacting the stuff .. there may be a better way to do it then by foot (it's fun though - I feel like an italian making wine! :)) but we haven't found it yet. It just depends on what you want to do .. I guess you could climb into that monster and do the same thing .. ahhhh .. to each his own, I guess. I can give on this one.

STiCK-NinE

man I go on .. I had to shorten this thing! :)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 03:33 PM
This truck realy sucks:D

Runner
12-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Man, you gotta suck alot o'leaves to justify the price, plates, and insurance on THAT thing!;)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 04:11 PM
It gets used for other things though out the year. Costs the same as a commecial truck. $1600 full coverage

Scotty
12-02-2001, 12:43 AM
Hey lawrence stone, thanks for the suggestion about the filters inside the vents and it would be interesting to find out the tongue weight. It seems to carry the weight pretty good.

Lawngodfather; What brand trailer vac, engine size and intake hose dia. is that. If you don't mind, how much does it cost. I really like that set up, I debated on doing something like that myself. But in the end, I decided I really wanted to have everything on one truck.

Hey guys, it was exciting to see other leaf removal rigs, thanks for the post.

mowahman
12-02-2001, 11:45 PM
I have the exact same set up on my 88 F-350. Built up the sides to 6' on a 9'x7' platform dump. That loader REALLY packs 'em in there !! I have taken the leaf set up off the trucks and have had to put the plow set ups back on...finished leaves last week. We also have a 1974 K 10 with a platform dump (with antique plates!!) set up with a 9 hp. tailgate loader. We have gotten some neat compliments on the antique plates also... We now have the oldest working truck in town, pulls the 10' trailer with mowers, hauls leaves and plows snow. This is my Foreman's truck and he gets a little testy about just anyone operating it.
It's kinda neat to go in and set both trucks up on the same pile and have at it...doesn't take too long and we're gone..$$ in hand.

Lawn DOG
12-03-2001, 07:03 PM
Man you guys really "suck" some leaves.:laugh:

Strongmd
02-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Stick9, sorry about the delayed reply. There definitely is a little bit of view obstruction going on with my leaf vac setup, you just need to be careful. As far as legality goes, I"m not sure. I know that we got pulled over with it because the inspection sticker expired, and the cop didn't say anything about the vac?! As far as the hoses clogging, it happened plenty toward the end of leaf season, but only with the flex hose, never with the hose connecting the top of the vac to the truck. The only time that would clog was when you let the truck fill completely. And even then, it was extremely easy to fix.

Also, As far as stepping on the leaves goes??? you can have that. I think I'd prefer to be a little top heavy. I'm not sure how much I would be able to compact it anyway.

gogetter
02-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Matt, what does it say on your sign under "Got Leaves"??
I really like that idea of marketing this special service the way you are.

I'm going to have some wood signs made for my trailer this year, and I may leave an area on trailer for additional eye catching signs that can be put on and taken off when that service is being offered (eg. spring clean up, aerations, fall cleanups, etc.).

Nice set up. Take care.

Matt Dudley
02-18-2002, 01:04 AM
total lawn you got a nice setup but you other guys need to let your wives take over and you go cook dinner

LAWNGODFATHER
02-18-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Matt Dudley
total lawn you got a nice setup but you other guys need to let your wives take over and you go cook dinner

Second BS post by you

plow kid
02-18-2002, 02:03 AM
Watch out Matt Dudly do right, or Jodi Will ban you for starting schitt

Matt Dudley
02-18-2002, 02:04 AM
GOD FATHER your not in New York anymore small timer your in the big times now and us real lawns services have ways of handling guys like you.:)

Matt Dudley
02-18-2002, 02:07 AM
everybody needs to chill im just playin

plow kid
02-18-2002, 02:12 AM
OK sirpimpsalot

gogetter
02-18-2002, 02:15 AM
No, it's called "trolling". And if your profile is true, it's called "immature" considering you're 50 y/o!. Kinda pathetic.

Matt Dudley
02-18-2002, 02:18 AM
oh ya by the way i noticed you called me "do right" thats the same thang your wife cald me, and if i remember right your momma called me that to:angel: :eek: :D :p :)

1MajorTom
02-18-2002, 02:22 AM
I don't have time for this type of game playing.
You think it is funny making me edit your posts while you "play"?
Well I don't. I suggest you straighten up. Consider this your only warning.

Strongmd
02-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Gogetter, underneath it says "Let our Super Sucker handle 'em for you". The sign is called corriplast, short for, corrugated plastic. Very light, and relatively cheap. I've got the signs on both sides, and on the back. I think they easily paid for themselves in one fall. This was the first time we offered leaf vacuuming as a stand-alone service, and it was great. I did quite a bit of advertising and direct-mail though. I wouldn't have been able to keep it busy with just my two cleanup crews, so we also worked for other landscapers, and homeowners, which I advertised as, "You rake 'em, We take 'em"

MuskTurfKing
02-21-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by plow kid
OK sirpimpsalot

Okay, first of all, this idiot ex-member is NOT me, I don't know how this idea started, but I'm not this fool. I would love to know who thought that up. It pretty much ticks me off. I thought I was a LITTLE more respected than that.

Hank

CSRA Landscaping
02-21-2002, 12:50 AM
No matter how much ya'll beat it, that horse ain't goin' nowhere.

MuskTurfKing
02-21-2002, 12:55 AM
I'm sure going to beat it until some answers appear.

Hank

MuskTurfKing
02-21-2002, 01:05 AM
Okay, I have my answers, and let me remind you that I'm not that fool, ask Chuck if you don't believe me, I didn't want anyone thinking I'm dumber than I already am.

Hank

beck
03-06-2002, 02:39 AM
It is a 16HP Billy Goat. 12' dump bed with 6' high sides. 80% mesh tarp over the top. We put swinging doors at the rear.

LAWNGODFATHER
03-06-2002, 03:12 AM
I blew it up for you beck.

http://www.complete-lawncare.com/Leaf%20truck.jpg