PDA

View Full Version : First year, Going very very well

theguynextdoor
04-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Thought I would share my story. I am 18 now, and have registered my LLC, tax #, and all of that. I have mowed a few lawns since I was 13 and got 25 accounts for snowplowing this past winter. I passed out about 300 flyers in my neighborhood. I didn't just throw out some pieces of paper. I got manilla envelopes, and put my flyer inside, a contract for mowing with price for their lawn, and a self addressed envelope in the big folder and hung them on mailboxes. I think it looks better than just a piece of paper that ends up in the rain or in the bushes.

I have 11 lawns so far for the season. I also have 9 or 10 spring cleanups. I did an estimate yesterday for one yard for $1300. Also got a few jobs planting a few trees and lots of mulch.

I bought my truck in the fall and I'm buying a 48 inch, Scag hydro walk behind with grass catcher and velke. The mower has 125 hours on it and he is also giving me a brand new sidewalk edger, 1 weedwacker, and 1 blower all for $2000. Cool guy, takes good care of his stuff, so I think its a good deal.

Just gotta get my trailer at the end of the week to start mowing within 2 weeks or so, still no growing up here.

So far its going good. Just thought I would share. This is just on the side since I'm in college, so I can't take on too many lawns. My goal was 20, hopefully I'll still get a few more in the next week or so.

stevenf
04-09-2008, 01:36 AM
My goal for this year is 20 solid accounts also. Looks like your well on your way. Best of luck!

toddcl
04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey wgen I started when I was 12 and I sold my first business when I lived in Kansas City and then I moved to Tulsa and started college and had to stat a whole new company and my first year i had like ten yards it was depressing and now I am graduating and I have over 40 yards. So all you have to do is keep your head up and stay positive. You sound like your on your way. Good Luck.

daveintoledo
04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
people still arent experienced enough to know about putting anything on in ora around the mailbox....

just sad

DrGreenThumb
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Anyone registered in this thread??

mobileboy
04-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Check with your state about plantings. Here in Alabama, we have to test and have a registered professional service license to plant, apply herbicides/pesticides, give landscape design advice, or trim trees. All of these activities require separate tests to the tune of $75 each. The tests aren't easy either! I have a degree from Auburn University, so I know a little bit about testing; and the LD (landscape design) test was as difficult as any final exam I took in my 6 years at school (double major). Better check with your state ag board. 2000 dollar fine if you're not licensed here!

theguynextdoor
04-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Check with your state about plantings. Here in Alabama, we have to test and have a registered professional service license to plant, apply herbicides/pesticides, give landscape design advice, or trim trees. All of these activities require separate tests to the tune of $75 each. The tests aren't easy either! I have a degree from Auburn University, so I know a little bit about testing; and the LD (landscape design) test was as difficult as any final exam I took in my 6 years at school (double major). Better check with your state ag board. 2000 dollar fine if you're not licensed here!

I do need a permit to resell plants from a nursery, plant them, transport yard waste, etc. It costs 100 dollars, and I will be applying for it in the next few days. No test though. There's also a separate permit for applying pesticides, which I don't need at this point. Also need a separate 35.00 dollar permit for my town, you just need to show your federal tax ID # to prove that you are a registered business.

I put them on the mailboxes because I can't afford to mail them all as I'm starting a business and have a lot of costs. I would say mine looked for professional than the one stuffed in mailboxes, newpaper boxes, blowing all over lawns, stuck in bushes, and in the gutters. I didn't put them in the mailbox, I know that's illegal. I got 3 landscape company flyers inside my mailbox this spring.

daveintoledo
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
why dont you do a search here about putting flyers on mailboxes, it could cost you thousands of dollars.....

how can you be a member of this site, and still not know its ILLEGAL to but your flyers in, on, or around the mailbox,

with fines up to a thousand dollars per occurance,

think you wont get cought, wait till an established legal comany finds out, all it takes is a call to the local postmaster...

instead of posting all the time ... you new guys should read, and search

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=222142