PDA

View Full Version : Need wiring help

JamesM
04-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I had to put a new motor on my John Deere Quik Trak and what I decided to go with was a Kohler. The problem is that it had a Kawasaki on it and the wiring is not at all the same.

I was hopeing the someone could help me get this straight. I do not know the first thing about electrical so I am stuck.

Thanks for any help, James

smokediver
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
What wires do you have coming from the Kohler, and from where would help.
We can get it done, but it'll be a little slow without me seeing it.
Does the new eng have a fuel solenoid on the carb?
You'll probably have to snip a few plugs and splice the wires together cause the plugs aren't compatible but they should have the same functions.

You've got to have :
12v with the key on to the fuel solenoid
12v with the key on to the rectifier/regulator (and not the same wire)
ground with the key OFF to the kill wire or terminal
(remember that any safety interlocks will cause this wire to be grounded even with the key on)

That's the basics, and should run, but I don't know what accessories you have to power.

JamesM
04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
OK, I have got everything wired. I think. But I am having to use a separate solenoid but it has 4 post. I know what the 2 large ones are for and one of the smaller ones but do I need to do anything with the other smaller post?

Thanks,James

Restrorob
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
do I need to do anything with the other smaller post?

This last small post must have a wire hooked to it and the other end hooked to one of the solenoid mounting screws, Without this post hooked to a ground point the solenoid will not work.

JamesM
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Well I got all the wiring right I think but when I turn the key the engine starts to turn but then stops. Like when your battery is low. I put a jumper on it and the same thing. I tried the clutch and it engages. Not sure if I missed something.

Thanks,James

Restrorob
04-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Looks like it may be time for some numbers James.

Deere model and serial #'s

Kawi model and spec #'s along with the Kohler model and spec #'s.

I will need to see what your working with here.....

Will it spin over with the spark plug(s) removed ?

JamesM
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
The mower is a John Deere Quik-Trak 647, the number on it is "gd0647x010112.
The origional engine is a Kawasaki fh601v-as17, the number is fh601va39437.
The new engine is a Kohler cv18s, the number is 3329307181.

Thanks again, James

Restrorob
04-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Will it spin over with the spark plug(s) removed ?

James, Can you answer my question before I go to racking my brain on this one ?

JamesM
04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
No it is the same result with or without the plugs in.

Thanks,James

Restrorob
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Can you put your jumper right to the stater and get it to spin ? It sounds like you have it wired correctly.

Is this a brand new engine ?

When you installed it did you make sure the slots in the pto clutch aligned with the pins on the rear bracket ? It sounds like something is binding the crankshaft in which the clutch could if not aligned on the pins.

Bill Kapaun
04-13-2008, 04:23 PM
A little late to jump in, but-
IS the engine well grounded to the frame and the frame to the battery -?

JamesM
04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Yep, I checked the ground and its good.

JamesM
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Any ideas.

Thanks, James

Restrorob
04-16-2008, 11:52 AM
James,

I'm trying to help narrow down the problem.....But, It would be helpful if you answer my questions.

Can you put your jumper right to the stater and get it to spin ? It sounds like you have it wired correctly.

Is this a brand new engine ?

When you installed it did you make sure the slots in the pto clutch aligned with the pins on the rear bracket ? It sounds like something is binding the crankshaft in which the clutch could if not aligned on the pins.

JamesM
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Im sorry, i didnt see your questions.

I havent tried to put a jumper to the starter, I will try that this evening.

Yes the engine is brand new.

Yes the PTO is aligned with the pins on the rear bracket. I will try removing the clutch to see if it turns free without it attached.

Thanks,James

Restrorob
04-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I will try removing the clutch to see if it turns free without it attached.

That's a good idea, Some units require a shim spacer installed on the crankshaft before the drive pulley and clutch is installed. I have seen them accidentally left off and cause the pulley to hit the engine pan.

JamesM
04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
OK, pulling the clutch and pully didnt make a difference. I tried jumping the starter as well and it did the same slight bump. Meaning the flywheel moved about 1/4".

Restrorob
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I believe you need to contact the place you got the engine from, Explain what this engine is doing.

Won't spin over with plugs out jumping right to the starter, No need to mention any re-wiring you did. They could pass the buck back to you saying you damaged something during wiring.