PDA

View Full Version : its pouring rain, can u work cheaper?

bobbygedd
11-30-2001, 04:04 PM
had to laugh rather than scream which is what i usually do. we charge an hourly rate for leaf cleanup. so one customer insisted we go there yesterday. i told her it is raining, she said well, dont u work in the rain? i said sure, y not. so, we pull up and start unloading the equipment, and she comes out and says, "since its raining, is it gonna take longer than if its dry?" i said yup. she said, " well, can u lower the fee, since its pouring out?"i said nope, i was actually gonna consider raising it, ITS POURING RAIN!!!! geeze, some people

65hoss
11-30-2001, 05:16 PM
Sounds like you need to find some new customers. Maybe some with a brain. lol.

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 06:51 PM
I would have said "be back when it's not raining"

good choice on saying raising the price,

awm
11-30-2001, 09:37 PM
if i have to ill mow in the rain,. mulch leaves in pouring rain . i dont think so. i can mulch soggy leaves w the right set up.
but in pouring rain . not.later now

crazygator
11-30-2001, 10:07 PM
OK, so tell us. Did you do the job, and get paid? Or just all wet and no cash?

leeslawncare
11-30-2001, 11:18 PM
oh... i hate those kinda folks!!

gusbuster
11-30-2001, 11:34 PM
This is the time of year for us that we get complaints about doing a lousy job with leaf pick-up.

I know, no matter who or how you're picking up leaves, not going to happen in 35 to 50 mile an hour gust.

I had one of these complaints last night. She told me not to come anymore. I know the husband well. He has been a friend since grammar school. What I did was went to their house and talked to the husband. Explained the obvious.

He had me talk to his wife and explained it to her just like I did to him. Took it one step further. Got one of those stick it notes (4"X4") out of my truck. Asked her to try to catch it when I let it go. We went outside and did this. Let's be nice, her husband and I were laughing so much watching her running around trying to pick up that piece of paper.:laugh:

When she got back, I told her that's what it's like to try to pick up leaves. I do still have this person as an account.

John

crazygator
12-01-2001, 12:00 AM
Gusbuster,
When I read your post, I looked at "post it note" then saw "(4 x 4)" and thought a 4 x 4 post (as in lumber). Then I thought "Wow what a wind storm to kick that post around. Sounded like a hurricane." Then I read it again and got it all straight. Duh, I must be tired....hehehe LOL!
Then I thought of the lady running around in this strong wind, chasing a 4 x 4 post. Kinda funny! Guess she would have gotten the point my way too! :D

ronslawncare
12-01-2001, 12:28 AM
i wont work in the rain bad enough all the leaves when you blow them just come back in your face to begin with

bobbygedd
12-01-2001, 01:19 AM
actually, we worked on it for an hour, mulching leaves that turned out to be a huge mess. i explained to her, if i stay and finish, ill be there 3 more hours, or come back when its dry and finish in an hour and a half, we r goin back tommorow

Charles
12-02-2001, 10:28 AM
bobbygedd, its your job to tell the customer what you can and cannot do from YOUR experience. YOu know you cannot mulch much less bag wet leaves. Bagging wet leaves take forever with most machines because of the clogging. YOu just have to learn to say no.
I have a woman call me last week to do her leaves an hour before it was going to get dark. It was at least a 3 hour job. She said in begging me that it would take me 15 minute. Ya right! NO.
Had one call me when it was windy. NO
Women in general ask you to do dumb things because they have no experience in yard work. Not all women but most do that

65hoss
12-02-2001, 11:23 AM
To add to what Charles said, if its raining enough, you will rut the lawn up from equipment. I don't know what type equipment you have, but I wouldn't want to put my Lazer with ultra vac on a wet lawn. Drive over it and look back to see the low spots where the tires were.