PDA

View Full Version : Scalping at 3"

CSRA Landscaping
11-30-2001, 03:49 PM
Have a customer whose yard is in good shape, but uneven in places. She got kinda hot because places got scalped a little in the 3"-3.5" range. Problem is that if I raise the deck to 4", there are high places, easily seen. How would you guys handle this? Dropping her is not an option, don't even go there.

casey
11-30-2001, 03:52 PM
Are you using a floating deck?

1MajorTom
11-30-2001, 03:53 PM
Have you tried changing your mowing pattern? You might have a little luck with that.

CSRA Landscaping
11-30-2001, 03:55 PM
Floating deck, check!

Changing pattern .... duh .... didn't think of that. Thanks Jodi!

Flex-Deck
11-30-2001, 03:56 PM
What kind of mower are you running and how wide?

65hoss
11-30-2001, 04:14 PM
If you have cut it several times, you should know where to be careful at. Changing pattern would make a big difference.

Runner
11-30-2001, 04:16 PM
Either that, or it sounds like some serious finish grading is in order. Order the topsoil! You can sell it like: "It will improve drainge, and enhance the overall health of the lawn." :blob4:

Davis TLC
11-30-2001, 04:23 PM
Change pattern, I agree this could help.

Sell her on renovating the lawn in the uneven spots, either tillling to level it or bring in some topsoil.

Sounds like it is seriously uneven in these spots if your scalping at 3-3.5 inches.

65hoss
11-30-2001, 04:23 PM
Yea, upsale. Good idea Runner. Selling to current customers is easier than finding new ones. More profitable tooooooo!!!

scottt
11-30-2001, 04:38 PM
What kind of grass is it?

Craig Turf Management
11-30-2001, 05:56 PM
Educate your client. If the reason you are scalping is the lawn is uneven, show her. Tell her how you can improve the grade, and sell her on it.
Why is the ground uneven. I know that you change your mowing pattern every visit, so there must be another reason. Let your client know that you change the direction that you mow each week so as not to rut her property. She will appreciate you for being the professional that you are and either let you fix the grade, or know that you are doing everything in your power to protect her investment.
Bill!

AltaLawnCare
11-30-2001, 08:31 PM
I have one thats the same way, just in the back yard. After learning the problem spots, I changed the pattern ( only in those spots) , and raise the deck 1" in these spots. - real fun on the walk behind! :angry:

CSRA Landscaping
11-30-2001, 08:40 PM
Well, it's centipede and St. Augustine, couple different areas. I'd thought earlier of leveling the yard out but she generally doesn't respond to things that she doesn't feel she needs. It's a project for the future, I think, to work on customer education.

Davis TLC
11-30-2001, 09:30 PM
Is this customer an elderly lady who wants to control ever aspect of what you do on her lawn? If you educate her on what is causing the scalping problem, maybe you can convince her that this needs to be done to prevent the scalping problem. Maybe a topdressing in these areas will help to lessen the problem. I have some elderly customers that sometimes think you are just looking for ways to make money for yourself and not looking out for them.

LawnPro in NC
12-03-2001, 08:55 PM
Have an elderly woman customer, likes to control the lawn. Pays excellent. Well to be short as possible I overseeded the lawn in Sept. She would not run the sprinkler and we had a very dry fall. (.100 in rain in 45 days) it was bare in places and the place that bothered her the most was in front of her front door. I bought 25.00 worth of sod and placed it in that area. My treat.... She saw it called me and wanted to add another 1500 sqft.

got back my 25.00 and then some.

Moral of this story. If dropping is not a question fix one area and show her the difference. Would help you out and it could also fatten your wallet.

scagman
12-04-2001, 01:09 AM
Ive had the same problem I use a 32 scag mine would scalp at 3' and if i raised it one notch it would look like i didnt even mow I finally decided to use the 21' more time consuming but problem solved for me anyways

vipermanz
12-04-2001, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
and how wide?

good question!!, that can make a large difference in cut quality, in comparison, a 21"++72"

BigJim
12-04-2001, 03:10 AM
Lucky the old goat don't live down here we cut grass down to 1/2 inch,an average lawn would be 1 inch,our Walker decks have extra holes in the height adjustment pins to go low,the decks are extra vented on the top to suck in more air,cause it cant get under the deck.I hate the grating sound when you drive over concrete paths and the deck scrapes!People seem to have the mind set the lower you cut the slower it grows.More scalping down here than in a bad cowboy film!