PDA

View Full Version : Magic mulch

jaybird24
04-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Anybody use this stuff to bring the color back to mulch. We have a property that wants the mulch looking fresh all the time and we thought this might work. How long does it last?

slowleak1
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
TTT

also curious

grassman177
04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
i want to know too, was thinking of offering it as a service just the other day while mulching with hardwood. i hate how it grays in about 3 mo

cgaengineer
04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Interested myself, seems like it could easily be applied with a backpack sprayer. Since pine straw is so popular around here I was trying to think of something that could be sprayed on pine straw that would keep it looking new longer...maybe a low gloss water seal like Thompsons water seal or the like. For the mulch dye I know that Gemplers sells it in all the popular colors.

markam70
04-10-2008, 08:58 PM
this stuff isn't as a great as it sounds. it really doesn't look that good, caution must be used around any hard surfaces, and any place where the mulch is disturbed after application reveals the true faded look of the mulch.

1wezil
04-10-2008, 10:28 PM
i found that the brand call earth shades works great . we use a lot of black pallet mulch and i have been playing around with different kinds and found that one to be good . we bought a 15gal sprayer for our golf cart to start recoloring the mulch . i have only used the black but last year we put down new mulch and right next to it we just sprayed it and we came back after it dried and it looked better then the new. so ya i know putting down new mulch means more money but there is not a lot of labor to doing this. that's my 2 Penny's on this .

TScapes
04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
You can also spray cleated iron. It works pretty good! I haven't done it in several years, but a friend of mine does quite a bit.

1wezil
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM
You can also spray cleated iron. It works pretty good! I haven't done it in several years, but a friend of mine does quite a bit.

what is cleated iron ?

Trenchblade
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
I have used the mulch dye one time and thats was the last also. It was messy, clogged my sprayer a lot. You have to be real careful next to the concrete. when it is disturbed you can see the faded mulch under it. I did spray it on some pine straw and that looked awesome but still a big pain on the.

cgaengineer
04-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I have used the mulch dye one time and thats was the last also. It was messy, clogged my sprayer a lot. You have to be real careful next to the concrete. when it is disturbed you can see the faded mulch under it. I did spray it on some pine straw and that looked awesome but still a big pain on the.

Is the color close to pine straws color?

TScapes
04-11-2008, 04:39 PM
what is cleated iron ?

It's liquid iron. It won't clog your backpack, and is safe to use. But like all dyes, once disturbed, you will see the original color.

grassman177
04-11-2008, 06:19 PM
is it very expensive? most of the places do not get disturbed too much, and maybe we spray it a couple of times per year or something if it is cost effective enough

1wezil
04-11-2008, 06:47 PM
is it very expensive? most of the places do not get disturbed too much, and maybe we spray it a couple of times per year or something if it is cost effective enough

45.00 per gal and one gal will cover about 2200sq ft and it come in 30gal and 55gal barrel's and large tots of 274gal. try this http://www.mulchdye.com

grassman177
04-12-2008, 02:02 AM
cool, i will have to try some out and see how it works.

jlouki01
06-14-2008, 10:27 PM
We use a ton of dye on large commercial properties. Saves a ton of money on labor. Things that we have learned are that it is best sprayed with a low volume / low pressure backpack. It sucks but any sort of pressure throws the whole deal off. The mulch benefits greatly from being turned before spraying.

I have typically bought Nu-mulch from Lesco but they said they can't get it anymore. I bought a couple cases of Earth Shades to try it out.

Here are some photos of the Nu-Mulch stuff. The camera phone doesn't quite capture how dark the brown really is. It looks as good if not better then slinging new mulch.

jlouki01
06-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I found a picture I had taken of one of the beds before we started working on it. You can actually see in the background one bed that was already sprayed. The liquid in kinda weird it goes on a dark red and dries brown in a few minutes. Best results I found are two very light coats.

Results vary greatly depending on mulch age and if it had ever been turned.

What I also found it the product mixed with 4 oz / gallon in a low volume sprayer will do about 1 yd. / gallon. It's not the cheapest solution but it sure beats throwing new. For the most part my customers just want it to look good all the time. If I can spray twice for the cost of one new install.. they are much happier.

Trenchblade
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Is the color close to pine straws color?

It looked great, like what pinestraw should look like if it were made in a factory. I liked the way it looked.

jaybird24
06-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Just tried it myself. Turning first does help. I bought a spray shield for drywall texturing and used that in one hand to block over spray on concrete and shrubs, worked real well. I'll see how it holds up, but the color is nice, maybe too uniform for a home landscape, but commercial it looks fine. I used the dark brown for hardwood and the color was pretty close, and red at a BBQ joint in town and it matched the existing red exactly, still hate the red, but oh well.

the angler
06-16-2008, 07:51 AM
i found that black or brown paint works pretty good ..... the only thing i think will give you the longest live as far as color is they high dollar premire mulch no the 16 dollar batch but the 30 dollar kind with my discounts

mULcHmAN.wLs
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
You could always just go with rubber mulch. The selling point is that it lasts several years if the correct dying process is used. Also, you're grade A mulches are made primarily from the bark of a tree which holds its color much much longer.

Kenneth3
06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Very expensive and pretty sure it's not available in bulk (if it is let me know), but this stuff is great. Keeps it's color for a year!

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?bodyCssClass=scotts+blade+product+general+en&tabs=general&navAction=jump&bodyId=product_general&proId=prod70190&itemId=cat70024&id=cat50016

ezweb
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
You are talking about mulch. We are happy, that we got Rubber mulch from www.rubbermulch.com for our garden Landscape and under our swing set play area so our kids stay safe.

ACMiller
10-27-2008, 04:06 PM
There is a new application process for this now, it incorporates the color into the top layers of mulch looks great and saves your customers a bunch and less mulch to handle. Its been done in Mn. for a couple of years now. mulchrenewinc.com no turning of the mulch.