PDA

View Full Version : input on what to do next

witty
04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
hi everyone, i just registered my new landscaping business name. however, now im looking into purchasing business insurance. i dont know much about insurance so i need some advice on what to get as far as (general liability, umbrella, etc.). i would also like to know the average cost it may run me if u know. my business mostly pertains to landscape design/hardscaping. in addition, i also will be conducting snow plowing in the off season.

2) my second question is that i have to trucks that i would like to register under commercial plates, does anyone know what kind of paperwork i need as far registering for commercial and how may i go about doing so? any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Paulup
04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
1.) This is going to vary greatly. Insurance companies look at everything, and since you have no prior experience most will assume you are a higher risk. I've seen people on here claim they get 1mil liability/2mil aggregate for $245 a year, and I've seen some complain about paying $700+, so shop around. Be careful about including "Landscape Design" in anything you say. If you are not a licensed Landscape Architect(at least in Louisiana) you cannot use the words design or designer when you talk about your own landscape work. General rule for liability insurance is to "get as much as you can afford" but most people on this site run 1-2mil.

2.) Contact your local DMV, they should be able to square you away in a hurry. Ok, its the DMV, so it won't be in a hurry, but you get the idea.

3.) Try the search function (http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php), most of this stuff has been hashed over dozens of times.

lsu03
04-09-2008, 06:13 PM
paulup. in LA, starting up with $1,000,000 cost on average, how much should i expect? also, is state farm or farm bureau good?

Paulup
04-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Are you 18 yet lsu? If not, you're parents would need to do it. I'm getting insured next week most likely, so im gonna post my full findings so we stop getting 3 insurance posts a day on here.

lsu03
04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
i'm almost 16 so yeah i guess my parents would have to get it for me.

Enzo
04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
I pay $2800 a year for insurance which includes anything if I damage my equipment, $1 Million Liabilty if I damage a property like a window or something, Plowing insurance, trailer insurance and something else but I cant remember.

kyle39
04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I just signed up for 1 million per occurance. 2 million aggregate. 5000 for medical. 350 Dollars a year. 100 bucks to start then pay quarterly.

Also ask about additional insureds. My guy does not charge for them some do.

Paulup
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I pay $2800 a year for insurance which includes anything if I damage my equipment, $1 Million Liabilty if I damage a property like a window or something, Plowing insurance, trailer insurance and something else but I cant remember.

To the original poster, i forgot to mention what Enzo showed. Insuring your equipment, as well as snow plowing, is more expensive then just general liability for you're average lawn care professional.

witty
04-10-2008, 03:35 PM
thanks for your input paulup, greatly appreciate it. i have to check here in nj about that whole "landscape design" thing you mentioned. i am curious to find out about that.