PDA

View Full Version : Sad time for Summit

summitgroundskeeping
11-30-2001, 06:00 PM
I leave for Purdue University on August 12, 2002. I'm studing Landscape Horticulture and Design. In order to graduate I must complete a 6 month internship, but I cannot work for myself .:(
I'm afraid the season of 2002, maybe my last. I'm going to have to spend all my time working at a huge LCO, earing probably $6.00 per hour working as a poor laborer (not sure though). I love working for myself, and this realization has really make me depressed.

Guido
11-30-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by summitgroundskeeping
I'm afraid the season of 2002, maybe my last.

How much work do you have?

Can you keep up with your accounts part time?

Can you work the 6 months during the slow season?

Can you hire someone responsible to take over for that six months, even if you don't make a huge profit?

Can you sub out your work during the six months?

And the best one of all:

Can you work a deal with the LCO you have to work "for" to care for your customers during that six months????

Just throwing some ideas at you. I bet you can make something work.

Even if you have to ditch the biz for one season, don't you want to start back up the next?

summitgroundskeeping
11-30-2001, 06:17 PM
I do strictly residential, and the LCOs in the area that I would work for do not do res. so I'll sell them. I'm going to hire a crew for the fall of 2002 while I'm at school (head aches). I will be putting in over 40 hours a week at my internship, so I will not have time even during summer to run Summit. I'm going to school to learn, not to see how high my blood preasure can rise while I hear about what the crew to today and how much it will cost me. I'm just sad I'm not going to be working for myself after next year. I'll do the internship for the first 2 years at school, start Summit back up, know what and what not to do (experiece at another LCO does have benifits), and be better than ever. Graduate, move to either Georgia, or S.C. (baby boomers WILL flock to this location in 6 years).

LAWNGODFATHER
11-30-2001, 06:29 PM
Wait I quote "I'm studing Landscape Horticulture and Design"

And you say that may be your last.

What biz are you going into then? From reading what your studying, you are trying to better your self and be more knowledgable in this field.

So yours goes down the drian despite what you are learning.

Dave gave some great alternatives.

How long is your internship? You said 6 months in first post and 2 years in the second post.

joshua
11-30-2001, 06:35 PM
summit, i'm in the same boat as you, i have to do 2internships to get my degree for landscape horticulture. i will have to work 150hours this summer and keep a jornal what of i do at the internship. i will work at a garden center 1 day a week starting in the summer and will get the hours needed. it will be a sacrifice but it has to be done. good luck to you.

awm
11-30-2001, 08:28 PM
guess u guys got a few rough months. to bad u dont have a friend or reletive that can run the show until u get back.
one of the best lcos i know is randy siggs in charlotte.
he has the whole landscape desighn degree among others.
this i think vastly increased his earning potential .
especialy at corp. offices and such.he still is no better than his
quality of work tho.

Ajays
11-30-2001, 08:40 PM
So what about your parents? If your parents own your business, would the school let you do an internship working for "their" business? I'd try to check out all angles.

Runner
11-30-2001, 09:38 PM
Bam! There's a loophole! Or, I would find someone on here (in the Landscaping forum) that is in your area. One thing is for sure, that is that if you are attending school for this, you have experience, I believe you could sell yourself for a heck of alot more than 6 bucks an hour. Shoot for a high amount, and negotiate. Good luck with it!;)

crazygator
11-30-2001, 09:46 PM
Why is this a sad time? When ever you move forward, it can't be sad. You will get through this and have all the school behind you, plus a degree. What a bonus! Then you will get the big bucks, either with a golf course, or working again for yourself. So don't sweat it. Get through it, learn, and be happy. Most of us never got that far in school, and wont! Good luck!

lawrence stone
11-30-2001, 11:01 PM
What a bunch of academic moronic crap.

Tell those folks that never have to actually serve the general public that you already own a business.

In no way give up what you have fought to hard to earn.

I would tell them to shove that sheepskin up their azz.

If you are going to school to increase your knowledge as a ground maint. contractor you don't need them anymore.

Finish your real courses and to your own thing.

If you ever actually need the degree for a job just work for wages for the required period and get the paperwork.

crazygator
11-30-2001, 11:07 PM
I think for once Lawrence is really "Stone-d".

gardin2124
12-01-2001, 12:10 AM
Summit, I am located in nw indiana and maybe able to help you out for the 2002 season with no headaches! We do alot of work in the area in which you are speaking of. You can e-mail at gardin2124@aol.com and I will give you my phone number.

Runner
12-01-2001, 03:19 AM
See? Now THAT's what I call NETworking. It's called pulling together!:cool:

Equipguy
12-01-2001, 06:52 AM
It's great your heading to college. Despite what seems like a hassle now it will pay big dividends in the future. You have several months until the big day so listen to what the folks here have to say. If you really want your business you will find a way to make it work. Good Luck!

GroundKprs
12-01-2001, 10:00 AM
I met a very successful consulting engineer when I was your age. He worked for himself, by himself. This man's work area was all of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Not a great thing today, but he achieved his stature in the 1950s.

His comment to me on working while getting an education: "Seek work in your field of study. It does not matter if that work pays only 25% of what you can make somewhere else. The educational value of work in your field will be much more beneficial in your future than a few extra $$ today."

The benefit of an internship is that you are exposed to others ideas out in the real world, and you can see and formulate questions about actions in the field, to make your classroom activities more interesting.

Ric
12-01-2001, 01:53 PM
If it will help I have work year round and can use good help. You can work in winter months only, if that fits you schedule. I am fully cert & lic and should quilify as an intership provider. You can learn southern horticulture and teach me as much. Contact me if you think it might work.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 03:18 PM
I read 2 offers for assistance. Sounds like another problem solved on Lawn Site.

danlawnser
12-01-2001, 09:38 PM
summit and jushua I am only a softmore in high school but I think that I am just going to the local community college which has a great hort. program. I am also planning on going to the local college in town and get a business degree. You guys may want to go and get a business just for back up. I am just going to try and keep the bus. running. I don't know if I would have to do a internship or not.
Hey Summit I will babysite your scamper for you if you want me too.

fastrunner
12-01-2001, 10:04 PM
i was in the same position that you were in. I did a internship for myself, my business. Ask if they can do that for you. They gave me six credits for it too cause they realized that I couldnt afford to work for someone else.

George777
12-01-2001, 10:24 PM
summitgroundskeeping, Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm also involved with a Hort School and man it sure requires your time. I never realized how much I'm learning until the other day when doing a site inventory on an estimate. It makes a big difference to be able to id all the plants around the house and understand the growth habits of each. I found several that need to be relocated and that means I'll be replacing then with other plants. I believe the clients pay for your knowledge.

Figure out what is important to you? And see how what your doing will improve your future in the green business. I once herd a man say, you can pay now and play forever or play now and pay forever. The choice is yours. Get your plan together, write it down, read it, then run.

dmk395
12-02-2001, 03:13 PM
I think Lawrence Stone is right on this one

summitgroundskeeping
12-02-2001, 09:26 PM
Hey thanks guys for your thoughts, but I'm just going to sell the bus. and work up here for like $15 per hour. It's a crap load less $$$$ but I should learn a lot which will make a nice return. Besides, I will make a killing when I sell.

George777
12-02-2001, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you know what you want. I wish you well.