PDA

View Full Version : Repeat of 2007?

tjsquickcuts
04-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Once again this year, we are expecting a April freeze. I for some reason thought we were in the clear for the rest of the season and have already started planting annuals....:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:...I just hope we dont stop getting rain like last year. Its amazing how fast our lakes have filled up over the last few weeks....We still cant really skeet any water on the lawns thru the irrigation systems, but I have faith that the bans will be lifted by summer. I guess I will have to go buy about a 100 buckets from somewhere so that I can cover all my annuals already out. Anybody else make the same mistake?

AGLA
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Cheese cloth or some other light veil like fabric works very well to cover entire beds. That's what we did to get an extra several weeks out of the annuals when I was a kid growing up. It may have been cotton blueberry netting, I'm really not sure exactly what it was. But, they were big light cottony cloth netting with openings almost 1/8" inch. Another thing we used were bed sheets.

... now I hope someone does not ask if there is a Dingo or Bobcat attachment to do this with.

nlminc
04-10-2008, 08:05 AM
I planted summer annuals for a customer on the 1st at their request because of a party they were having. I warned them about a possible April frost. I'll call them today to suggest covering the beds when the temps drop later this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up TJS.....I haven't looked ahead on the forecast in a couple of days.

tjsquickcuts
04-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I always try to stay on top of the weather.....because of things like this. Well I have planted in beds at 14 homes already....Over 200 flats so can you imagine??? Well I have to come up with something between now and Saturday....

tbettis
04-12-2008, 05:00 PM
maybe it wont last longer than 48hrs

daveyo
04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Here in the NE we never plant any annuals in April, you can almost always count on a frost