PDA

View Full Version : Calling local mowing businesses for accounts?

ToughAsStihl
04-09-2008, 11:19 PM
So far I havent gotten any accounts for this year. I got some flyers made up and passed them around. I'm getting worried that I wont get any business. So i've read about people calling local mowing companies and having them forward customers once they are booked full or be a sub for them. Is this really possible? What should I say to the person when I call? I will take any advice on how to get more people.

Thanks

KS_Grasscutter
04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
So far I havent gotten any accounts for this year. I got some flyers made up and passed them around. I'm getting worried that I wont get any business. So i've read about people calling local mowing companies and having them forward customers once they are booked full or be a sub for them. Is this really possible? What should I say to the person when I call? I will take any advice on how to get more people.

Thanks

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good luck with that.

ToughAsStihl
04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good luck with that.
Thanks for the usefull comment:hammerhead:

P.Services
04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
wow thats a new one

bigw
04-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I see nothing wrong with that its called networking, nothing wrong with meeting a few other lco's and letting them know if they have any customers they dont want or not in their area that they can call you.
I mean i get calls all the time from people out of my immediate route so why not refer them to another lco that in return may do the same for me?
Now i wouldnt just call them and say can i have some of your customers, i mean just mention if they get any that they dont want or not in their Route maybe they could throw you a bone.

willjones4
04-10-2008, 12:23 AM
This is common in my area. Ive gotten and passed along accounts due to their location. Sometimes the big boys have overflow and they pass it off to others. I say call them and just introduce yourself and let them know you would appreciate the opportunity to help them if they have accounts they dont want/need/cant get to.

gandk06
04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I would guess that they would send all the junk your way. Maybe a way to get started but they won't be the best accounts out there.

Be ready for headaches.

Big Daddy Choper
04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey Tough
I'm new at this, but I know a fellow mower who has been in the business for 15 years, he's mowing 100 acres of parks, and over 200 residences, he'll pass some along to me, and not be hurt by it. You know the ones that are closer to me than him, good luck, wish me the same, I need it!

Reliable Lawn Care
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Yes, do call them and let them know your company is available to take on accounts. I have had companies pass some to me and I to them. Networking is key in most businesses. Alot of times, customers they or I can't service ask for a referal, get on that list and do a great job for the customer, your referal company and your own sake !!!
Good Luck

paul vroom
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I just started cutting last year and at this time had zero accounts. By mid May I was up to ten. This account I had was down the street from another providers house and he would always drive by slow. One day he stopped and we started to talk, he turned out to be kind of cool. He had about 150 residential accounts. Well a week later he stopped again and he asked if I would want to cut some of his accounts for him when I had free time. I said I would be happy to, we exchanged numbers and kept talking. He started asking me about some of my other accounts and how I got them. I went on to tell him that I passed out fliers. I told him about this one account and he knew the lady. He asked how I got her and I said I got this account because the lady said the previous provider was a hack, he would leave grass clippings on the walks and just did a bad job. If you guessed by now that he was the previous provider then you are correct, that client and two others dumped him for me. He acted like it was all good but that was the last time we talked.

The moral of the story. Do good work and they will call. Good luck.

RickR1818
04-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I would recommend calling companies that landscape/fertilize/irrigate that may not mow. There are alot of landscape companies around that dont want to spend time on residential mowing.

ToughAsStihl
04-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Sounds like its a somewhat common thing to do. I just wouldnt really know what to say on the phone. What would be the best thing to say??

Superior L & L
04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I send stuff all the time, I have friends all over the county and im not going to drive to a town for one or two accounts. Just yesterday i got a call from Flushing, my closest account was 8-10 miles away. 3 guys 10mins = 30 mins labor before the gat is even dropped. So i pass it to the guy who we share our building with and it turns out he has 3 accounts on the same street. He will MAKE money on this account. That account would have COST me money to take care of.