PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this forum?

Eden Lights
04-10-2008, 12:15 AM
It's so hard to weed through the non-lighting related posts here anymore, why don't the mods have a off topic section and really start moderating this forum. The information and the professionals are here, but the forum has been on a steady decline for some time due to all the off topic stuff.

NiteTymeIlluminations
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately there isnt many other forums or at least i dont know about them...If I wanted to listen people boast and brag and build up their egos I'd go to AOLP. I just want to see nice lighting jobs and help a few people out but you can't even do that anymore. There are a few people who ask for advise and then they disagree and go their own route...why ask for advice? There are other who are so critical of anyone who wants to get into the market they chase the new guys with fresh ideas away(they forget they were a newbie once before too)...and then others who drown everyone else out and beat each other down so much it just becomes a shouting match...its crazy but as Joey said, thats what forums are all about I guess.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
On a positive note: Don't forget those here who contribute freely of their time to offer their experience and advice to those who seek it. Or those who post their findings, discoveries, novel techniques and general industry knowledge for the benefit of all.

Finally, don't discount the virtual networking that does occur by default participation here.

There is still some good to be found.

Regards.

irrig8r
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Some people are naturally sh*t stirrers and use forums like these to get attention.

Others (myself included) sometimes can't seem to help themselves from rising to the bait.

If Lawnsite required real names and contact info for all posters, I imagine that things would be less rough and tumble.

Some might think twice before posting.

OTOH, things never get as nasty as they do here over in the irrigation forum, where people tend to take themselves a little less seriously, and a lot of useful information is shared.

I think a lot of lighting guys have bigger egos and are more sensitive to criticism, but I'm not sure why.

jnewton
04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
It's easy to make the flame-throwers go away. All you have to do is ignore them for a few days, maybe a week.

Don't respond to them, don't acknowledge their inflammatory posts, or even their cordial posts. Just ignore them completely. Respond to the post above theirs, but never to them.

That's the one thing they cannot stand -- to be ignored. They disappear quickly once they realize what's happened.

In real life, if you ignore a problem it usually gets worse. On a forum like this, if you ignore a problem it will go away.

Mike M
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
No offense, but this thread is off topic. But that's okay with me, in fact I enjoy the irony.

I enjoy this forum.

sprinkler guy
04-11-2008, 01:30 AM
I for one don't really mind the guys who throw out the inflamatory comments. Sometimes an informative thread gets going based on their incendiary post. I can only think of one person in the last few months who I pretty much ignore, a Jnewton suggests. Most posts, even the ones that could be percieved as heated, are usually spawned from that persons passion about a particualr subject, or their beliefs in right and wrong. Some folks could work on their tact a little, but the written word gives us a chance to read it, digest it, maybe read it again, interpret it, analyze it, and hopefully, understand the point said poster was trying to make. This website and forum has been invaluable to me over the last couple of years, especially the past few months as my business has really taken off.

David Gretzmier
04-12-2008, 01:05 AM
I just weed through the off topic stuff. If you have a good thread question, name it well. I skip the threads that appear to be folks just chatting. I find there is still plenty of good info about running a lighting biz in here, You just have to look for it.

Mark B
04-12-2008, 02:40 AM
If it makes you feel better.. It also happens over on the fishing boards that I look at. SO it is everywhere. I know there are some super smart guys here on the board. There are some here that have a very succesfull biz. There is always a ton of good info to be had on this site. Then you have some that have there thong in places waaaaaaaaayyyy to tight. Then there are some like ME that is glad to be self employed and try to make the best of everything.

pete scalia
04-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I can't stand certain self promoting blabber mouths who think they know it all and work 6 months out of the year. They find it neccesary to give us their schedules when they are working and want us to know when the weather is inclement as an excuse why they are on here when they should be working. It's over compensation for the fact that they know they are not busy at all.
By the way it's too clear hear today to be working so I'm in the office. But I have a full week this week and every other week. I work in the snow too.