PDA

View Full Version : PDA's

Lamonicaslawnservice
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
anyone use one? Does it help with anything? Thanks everyone

Paulup
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
PDA's are expensive, and electronics don't mesh well with dust and dirt. I'd venture to guess that most of the people who actually do the grunt work don't carry a PDA on them, and having a laptop is a better financial decision if you're going to have to leave it in the truck.

nobagger
04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Bought one last year and its sat in my truck ever since,lol. About the only thing I thought it was useful for was when a customer asks you if you could do something for them and you could check your schedule right there. If you have the time to enter all of the info after you already entered it on a computer then I suppose they would be a nice tool but I dont feel like doing things twice I guess. I found it much easier to put things down in a dayplanner or desk top calender.

DoetschOutdoor
04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
You do know that you can put the info in your PDA or computer and then transfer it to the other device. No need to enter info twice. But yea, I bought mine a year ago as well and its been used for about one week...

bill8379
04-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I bought a $550 dollar Dell Axim v51. It was the best of the best (I think) Soon as I bought it Dell got out of the PDA market and now that I have Office 2007 in my PC, my PDA won't sync properly because it's windows mobile 5 and there is no upgrade to windows mobile 6.

I don't think I'll ever buy one again. I'll buy a cheap lap top and a black berry 8130

SkyLawncare
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Granted I haven't used mine for business, but I have a palm T/X and I love it. The thing about these things is either you use it religiously and love it or you don't use it at all.

I have a calendar, calculator, tasks, I have documents to go which lets you use word, powerpoint and excel on your palm. I have a contacts list, which can dial my cell phone via blue-tooth. It has a wi-fi card built in. It has a note-pad so I can hand write some notes in it, financial software like splashmoney lets me keep my bank account up-to-date, splash shopper lets you keep lists of things you need to get.

The palms also sync to your desktop as well, plus theres gobs of programs you can buy for it.

You don't really need a PDA though, you just need a system to keep track of everything. A quick search on the internet shows a palm version of the gopher billing and scheduling software in fact.

To each his own.

Big C
04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I use my Palm Treo everyday, I plug in the customers info, frequency they would like the lawn serviced and it reminds me of who I have to service weather it's someone wanting weekly service, bi-weekly service even have some to go every 10 days..:confused: But it keeps track of all this stuff for me and data it transfered to my pc at home. Oh yeah it is also a phone, camera and I can send emails too...but it stays in the truck while I cut.

lawnman_scott
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I have a pda phone and I can have all my customer data on it. I can print out invioces or estimate sheets off of it with my printer, so it helps my estimate look alot better than others. I can also get e-mail or look at the internet. To me its a very useful tool. Just like having a pocket computer. I guess thats why its called a pocket pc....

M & MD Lawn
04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
I love my treo 755p, I can put my whole sched in it and dont have to carry my book in the car and things when I'm out.

nosparkplugs
04-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I use my blackberry for everything synch it with my Mac, it even has GPS navigation turn buy turn. I have the Otter Box protective case it's virtually indestructible, and shock/water/dirt resistant I drop it at least once a day minimal, and it still works.

Check out Otter box products to protect you gadgets
http://www.otterbox.com/

griffinz
04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I've bought Palms, PocketPCs, and have had 3 Blackberry's.... not including cell phones.

Now ask me if I actually used them.... I use the Blackberry for my job, so I get tons of emails. The PDAs were not used that much.

The one thing that might make a PDA useful (the PocketPC) is that it has Windows software. I have written simple programs in Java and Visual Basic. You can use a version of VB to write software for the PocketPC... so you could write a program for computing estimates or proposals. That would be one way I would use them more often.

Joe

DEEREBOY14
04-12-2008, 07:16 PM
105914this is wat i use

elite lawns
04-13-2008, 01:28 AM
i have a i phone it works i check my email and the mowing list for the day

Green Grass
04-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I use my sprint centro everyday it is great to be able to check email from customers have all my customers info and have a calender that is right there and easy to use. Have an area to put memos so no need to carry a note pad around with me all day!

HVC
04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a Blackberry but I am finding that it is not practical for this business. I will most likely be going back to a Sprint/ Nextel phone with PTT. I have a laptop with Office 2007, Quickbooks and GPS so I'll get a Sprint/ Nextel wireless internet card.