PDA

View Full Version : Laying down perfect stripes if you run crews?

casey
12-01-2001, 01:18 AM
I'm just curious how many, who delegate mowing resposibility to employees & run multiple crews, attempt to realise striping perfection on all their contracts?

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 01:22 AM
When and if possable, but not stated in contract.

CLARKE
12-01-2001, 01:42 AM
less than 60 accounts its pretty easy too do all most all my acounts are striped, i have that kit on both of my mowers.

Guido
12-01-2001, 02:00 AM
to make a big deal about it.......It just happens.

Hopefully you train your employees, you don't just let them have free rein on a property that your responsible for.

If they do watch you or learn from you, or someone you have trained already, they will know to travel in straight lines and turn after every pass.

It seems everyone makes rocket science out of a simple matter of common industry sense.

thelawnguy
12-01-2001, 09:10 AM
At least around here, stripes are more important to the LCO's ego than the customer.

John from OH
12-01-2001, 02:37 PM
"It seems everyone makes rocket science out of a simple matter of common industry sense."

Guido, I could not have said it any better!

Lawnguy, your also right on the money. Very few customer can tell the difference between a perfect stripe and a decent stripe. They do notice that the lawn was serviced and if the overall job is neat and done on the same day each week.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 03:54 PM
If you can actualy sell them on the stripes, let us know how?

casey
12-01-2001, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by John from OH
Very few customer can tell the difference between a perfect stripe and a decent stripe. They do notice that the lawn was serviced and if the overall job is neat and done on the same day each week.

There seems to be a small niche market of wealthy customers with large turf areas who are willing to pay for that perfect look. However, most of the millions of lawns across North America, are owned by customers who are looking for a reliable, affordable, service.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 05:46 PM
I found this in all classes.

More money they have the less they want to spend.

Bigger the house the cheaper they are.

Then and when you get good at sales you will learn how to get in their check books and make them pay the prices you charge.

Takes skill

Listening

and expeirance

BRL
12-01-2001, 09:56 PM
Casey,
Since you seem to have problems with stripes, maybe you can help me with this one. I've posted this question a few times before with no real responses. I have never seen a lawn mowed without stripes. Can you tell me how to mow a lawn efficiently & timely without leaving stripes? The only way I can guess is to go in circles to always be going in the same direction for each line, or to just plain mow in circles. I've never tried this before because I don't have the time to waste. But maybe I'm missing something here. After some of your infamous posts (WB down the steps, snow blowers as fast as plows, lowballing the mowing pricing in your market ;) ) I'd bet you can answer this one for me if anyone can. Thanks.

KirbysLawn
12-01-2001, 10:30 PM
YEa, what BRL said, I can't help but stripe a lawn.:confused: They follow my mower everywhere?:confused:

casey
12-01-2001, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by BRL
Casey,
Since you seem to have problems with stripes, maybe you can help me with this one. I've posted this question a few times before with no real responses. I have never seen a lawn mowed without stripes. Can you tell me how to mow a lawn efficiently & timely without leaving stripes? The only way I can guess is to go in circles to always be going in the same direction for each line, or to just plain mow in circles. I've never tried this before because I don't have the time to waste. But maybe I'm missing something here. After some of your infamous posts (WB down the steps, snow blowers as fast as plows, lowballing the mowing pricing in your market ;) ) I'd bet you can answer this one for me if anyone can. Thanks.

Our turf seems somewhat resiliant to striping & usually retains a uniform color one day aftere cutting. I have found it more efficient to further reduce mowing definition by trimming the rubber back flaps on our 21"s & WB's. & alternating cutting patterns. As we cut smaller tightly landscaped props, not worrying about lines speeds up mowing production. Striping definition can only really be realized on our turf by using rollers or other methods of pushing down the grass & cutting in the same pattern weekly. As we are more concerned about production & reasonable pricing than definition, due to a middle to upper class market, we refrain from those practises which would slow down mowing efficiency.