PDA

View Full Version : TruGreen put down crabgrass preventative and I need to put down seed

forgop
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I have a number of bare spots I want to get something in its place and these jokers automatically treated my yard earlier in the week, despite the fact I clearly didn't want them to come back because they failed to treat my nutsedge all year. What do I do now?

lawns Etc
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
well you are going to have to till up and put some new topsoil in those areas or seed will not happen . If the areas are small patch in some sod or wait till fall .

Turfdoctor1
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
did you tell them you didn't want them to come back?

not wanting to take up for Trugreen, but nutsedge control is not part of a lot of weed control programs. If it requires a broadcast application, I can kill it, just not at the price my customers pay for a normal application. if I can spot spray it, that is different.

to answer your question. if you have small areas that you are needing to seed, you could try activated charcoal. This makes the pre-emergent useless.

GravelyGuy
04-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Just this year alone I've had 3 people that canceled with TGCL to go with my services and they still got the early spring app:rolleyes: It happened several times last year too. I think they do it on purpose.

They treated a lawn that I was supposed to seed with pre-emergent a couple of weeks ago:hammerhead:

IN2MOWN
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I believe the ultimate question here is why are you even using TG?

RigglePLC
04-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Sometimes seed works just fine. My customers apply seed after I applied pre-emergent from time to time. Ryegrass can usually make it through the barrier.

Best to rake it up thououghly to disturb and break the pre-emergent barrier.

LushGreenLawn
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Truegreen and Scotts both do this on purpose. Every customer, and I mean literally every one, has had this happen when they cancel them to switch.

CHiP's
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
tgcl does this on a regular basis as part of their plot to keep customers that cancel. as a former tgcl lawn tech i know this for a fact. if i were to take a cancel with them from a customer i would get that invoice back within a week showing them as a new customer new sale. that is how they try to keep the cancels by doing an app after a cancel and hope they will stay with them for the rest of the season. that is why i no longer work for them. their former ceo once said in a speech that we are a marketing company that just happens to do lawn care. how true. they don't care about their customers at all, it's all about the dollar for them, not customer satisfaction.

Mr.GreenJeans89
04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
If you clearly cancelled then its on them..dont pay..but if you didnt cancel their services or failed to read their auto renew letter if sent then its on you..pay em.Till spots good,maybe add topsoil,seed straw,youll be fine.

Joshuakwhit
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I agree, you have to verbally call them and cancel. This happens alot.

My question is why are you seeding in the spring. It is all gonig to die the first part of June.

rob7233
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I have a number of bare spots I want to get something in its place and these jokers automatically treated my yard earlier in the week, despite the fact I clearly didn't want them to come back because they failed to treat my nutsedge all year. What do I do now?

You're gonna have to wait at least 30 days for it to dissipate out. Probably will take even longer. You can till it but some product will be buried and therefore will protected from UV light and the elements necessary to break down. It will need to be watered in to become active and release the pre-emergent. If you push it and don't allow enough time to pass, it will suppress the growth of the roots in the seedlings. Sodding after while might be your best option. Everyone is better going with a private pesticide applicator than with TG/CL. More instruction and personalized care. TG is production based and have a high amount of customer churn. You always get what you pay for. It's the high cost of paying too little.

humble1
04-10-2008, 11:45 PM

Wait a week ,flail blade dethatch, aerate two times and broadcast the seed into the holes, go two times rec rate for new install. You will break the barrior by dethatching rake up, aerate and seed you will be fine

mngrassguy
04-11-2008, 04:18 AM
Seeding now may work, probobly not. If you can disturb the pre-emergent barrier your opening yourself up to weed problems. If not, it won't grow.

It gets too hot, too dry too quick to allow seed to grow and mature and withstand the stress of summer MOST of the time. Unless you feel lucky or can be there to water those baby grass plants or have lots of money...wait till early fall (mid Aug) and do it when the seed has the best chance to live and grow

Frank Fescue
04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
yea, im sure chemlawns diabolical plan is to put down pre emergenet as a forget you for canceling their services. get over yourself. they dont do this on every single lawn of a person who cancels. whosever said that is a dirty liar who i will never take serious on this message board ever again.

they deal with a customer base in the thousands per branmch. you probably deal with 50 people. mistakes happen. why would the purposely waste time and product to treat a lawn that customer could just say "i canceled already, im not paying for this"? sounds like pretty horrible business from a company that makes money hand over fist 1,000 times more than all you guys combined.

envy is a dirty beast.

good job with the spring seeding though, everybody knows thats the best time to throw down seed for optimal germination. :rolleyes:

and you thought chemlawn was the "anything for a buck" company. :rolleyes:

LushGreenLawn
04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Frank, I was the one that said that every customer that I took from them had this happen. I am not a liar. If you never take me seriously again, so be it.

I have read your posts in the past, and have never taken you seriously.

mrkosar
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Wait a week ,flail blade dethatch, aerate two times and broadcast the seed into the holes, go two times rec rate for new install. You will break the barrior by dethatching rake up, aerate and seed you will be fine

I thought research showed aeration doesn't break the barrier.

tremor
04-11-2008, 11:13 PM
You could hold their feet to the fire (letter from your attorney) & have them treat your lawn with activated charcoal. This would negate the herbicide.

Then again, if they used Dimension, you could just "weasel in" some Perennial Ryegrass a little heavier than normal & it'll come up. Pendimethalin & Team Pro won't be so forgiving.

humble1
04-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Frank, I was the one that said that every customer that I took from them had this happen. I am not a liar. If you never take me seriously again, so be it.

I have read your posts in the past, and have never taken you seriously.

awesome:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

humble1
04-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I thought research showed aeration doesn't break the barrier.
wheres that research, the barrier is on top right where the crabgrass seed is, if you are punching a 3 inch hole then throwing seed in why wouldnt that work, its worked for me, im not saying you wont lose some viable seed, you will, thats why i double the rate even if i lost half im still at the rec rate.

Runner
04-12-2008, 11:50 PM
What happens is, once that seed(s) germinate, the new plant mixes with the top soil (soil at the top), and dies off. There is movement of the barrier around the top. The 3 inch hole, really isn't a 3 inch hole...It is a 5/8 inch hole. Once it fills back in (for the seed to germinate), it fills in with barrier stricken material. I'm not suire where the research is on here exactly, but it has been posted...It was from Purdue, I think, if I remember correctly.

Mscotrid
04-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Get yourself some Activiated Charcoal and apply to infected area. If it's a small area use a hand rake and break up soil residual and seed.

WildLake
04-13-2008, 01:27 PM
yea, im sure chemlawns diabolical plan is to put down pre emergenet as a forget you for canceling their services. get over yourself. they dont do this on every single lawn of a person who cancels. whosever said that is a dirty liar who i will never take serious on this message board ever again.

they deal with a customer base in the thousands per branmch. you probably deal with 50 people. mistakes happen. why would the purposely waste time and product to treat a lawn that customer could just say "i canceled already, im not paying for this"? sounds like pretty horrible business from a company that makes money hand over fist 1,000 times more than all you guys combined.

envy is a dirty beast.

good job with the spring seeding though, everybody knows thats the best time to throw down seed for optimal germination. :rolleyes:

and you thought chemlawn was the "anything for a buck" company. :rolleyes:

Not sure if it's a forget you or not, but the three properties that I picked up from tgcl, all received a treatment this spring after being canceled last fall. Probably just an attempt to keep the customer but is still wrong and definitely not just a mistake.

humble1
04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
What happens is, once that seed(s) germinate, the new plant mixes with the top soil (soil at the top), and dies off. There is movement of the barrier around the top. The 3 inch hole, really isn't a 3 inch hole...It is a 5/8 inch hole. Once it fills back in (for the seed to germinate), it fills in with barrier stricken material. I'm not suire where the research is on here exactly, but it has been posted...It was from Purdue, I think, if I remember correctly.

Depends on the soil you can get better penetration than that, use a plugger and you would get a good plug. I have has sucess overseeding a treated lawn, I waited 3 weeks, flail bladed the hell out of the turf, used a redmax 8000 series blower blew all debris off, aerated, spread seed into holes at double rate and was fine. Maybe it was the flail blade dethatching that removed alot of thatch and chemical. I think it was pre m.

JeffW0011
04-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Whats up? Notice your a fellow Indy resident.

One of my regular cutting customers calls me a few weeks ago and asks if I do lawn App's. I say yes, by the way this is my first year. She says "great, your in, I can't stand my old company anyway. They call me up all winter pestering me with sales pitches and i hate that ****"

(Don't want to create any bad karma mentioning names) but they are a very sizeable lawn app company in our market. She tells me they have not been out this year and she has already cancelled them. She also wants me to renovate a big section of her back yard, I say cool....we can do that....we will skip application 1 with the pre-m and work on the seeding and renovation and then take out the weeds later. We are there last Wed, as we are doing the seed bed this company shows up to spray. She is not home, I tell them you can not spray because we are seeding everywhere and besides we do the lawn app's here now anyway. The dude cops a little tude "says not by our records, she is still with us". I call her that night and tell her whats up and that it was lucky we were there when they showed. She calls them (alledgedly) that night and cancels again. We are back there working the next morning....here they come again. Same conversation. I call her again, she says she will handle it. She calls me on Friday laughing and says you will not believe this. I say "whats up" she said I called them again on Thursday (2nd time that week, 3rd time total) and they showed up again on Friday....she said she was hot, called the place asked for the manager and went off....Talk about persistance, and these idiots apparantly had no concern of the $600.00 seeding job we had just completed.

forgop
04-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I filed a complaint with the BBB and gave them an F rating on Angie's List. I'm going to tell them that they're going to become my hobby to ensure nobody else does business with them.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Good luck. They will come up with an excuse for everything