PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care//landscaper Not The Same

CLARKE
12-01-2001, 12:37 AM
Lots of times i get called a landscaper but lawn care is just that.
Landscapers do lawn care but they also plant trees and dig and build flower beds and work with rocks and change the way your yard looks.Do you think that they are the same or differnt??
:blob1: :confused:

Guido
12-01-2001, 01:03 AM
(and that doesn't mean its correct)...

Both are different. Obviously Lawn Care Providers or Lawn Maintenance Technicians, or whatever you want to call them concentrate on turf. A landscaper usually concentrates on landscape design and/or construction / and or landscape maintenance (which may include turf care)

I rather be called a landscaper than a lawn boy, but if the shoe fits..........

dj'slawnservice
12-01-2001, 01:04 AM
Different.....no doubt about it
but also makes a great combo
kinda like a bacon cheeseburger,lol

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 03:07 AM
landscaper, lawn care, landscape maintanence

What's the differance.

They all do diff. things in the property, but all fall back to Landscape. That's what lawn care is maintaning in the first place.

Lawn is part of the landscape in the property.

Classify it as you want but your still a landscaper

65hoss
12-01-2001, 04:37 AM
Cutting grass does fall under landscape which would make you a landscaper. Lets take that a step farther. At some point you will be trimming bushes (not peeing in them:p), installing mulch, etc. This is all landscaping work.

awm
12-01-2001, 07:13 AM
i agree that it all is landscape work. but imho
theres a difference between myself ,who can prettymuch install maintain and care for a particular landcape,and the fella who can desighn a full landscape ,w proper allowances for everything.
then follow a blue print,or better yet make the blue print and
see it thru to its finale inspection and acceptance.
that takes more education than i have. not knocking what i do.
just acknowledging that there are different level of expertise.
another factor is the possibility that this highly educated
fellow cant get weeds to grow,then he calls someone like me.
later

bubble boy
12-01-2001, 03:24 PM
i love doing small little jobs for customers, as it breaks the routine. but this accouints for probably 10% of my summer revenues. the rest is cutting, and so i never call myself a landscaper. i always say i have a lawn maintenance company.

avoids confusion.

Tvov
12-01-2001, 03:56 PM
I pretty much always call my company a lawn maintenance company. It is more accurate.

gusbuster
12-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Then let's take this a step further, What is the difference between a landscaper and a Gardner??

John

GLS
12-01-2001, 07:32 PM
I think of a landscaper of doing work on major landscape construction...like beds, walls, etc., whereas a gardner plants/water/cares for plants. A gardner does not do construction (in most cases).

Kent Lawns
12-01-2001, 08:03 PM
Everybody has their niche.

Go ahead and stick with "Green Industry Professional." Let everyone else sort it out.

Chuck Sinclair
12-01-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by gusbuster
Then let's take this a step further, What is the difference between a landscaper and a Gardner??

John

Gusbuster,

You my friend are a Landscaper as am I, C-27 and all.
Landscape maintenance is just an extension of what we do.

I see myself as a Landscaper because:

I design install and repair first mowing comes second.

David Haggerty
12-02-2001, 07:58 AM
It's either installation or maintenance.

Most companies are a blend of the two.

Anything with Land in the title seems to stress installation.
Like Landscape designers or Landscape Contractors
Something that is billed upon completion.

Lawn in the title emphasizes the maintenance part of the business. Such as fertilizer, mowing etc.
These have periodic reoccurring charges.

This is all just my opinion. But I thought someone should try to establish some terminology groundrules before it got into the mess that the phrase "lawn mower'" is in. Would the "lawn mower" be me or the machine I'm riding? lol

Dave

Ric
12-02-2001, 10:58 AM
WORDS

I use the word YARD maintenance. It includes lawn or turf, and shrub or onamental. But the key word is MAINTENANCE. Maintenance includes plant replacement, mulching, pest control, irrigation, and other jobs that keep the property up. Or small up grades.

Theleven posted Professional Grounds Maintenance in an other post. I ask his premission to use this on my business card. It says a lot with a few words.

PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPER is totally different. It has to do with design of softscape and hardscape. Installation of this design deals with grading, soil, drainage, construction, and planting. Yes this does take more education. Thank heavens it does because a good landscaper makes it easier on us the Professional Grounds Maintenance people.

dan deutekom
12-02-2001, 12:46 PM
imo
lawncare = the care and maintenance of turf
landscaper = the installation of hardscape and softscape, no follow up care
gardener = the horticultural care and installation of turf, plantings and trees in existing gardens.
arborist = care of trees
pest technician = diagnosis and control of pests and deseases in the landscape
grounds keeper = the overal care of the property including parking lots, building, lawn and plantings

everything overlaps but the names give focus to the main job

bubble boy
12-02-2001, 02:26 PM
in terms of names, XXX property services" is popular here. really covers all, but this can good and bad.

TGCummings
12-03-2001, 10:41 AM
According to my study course, a Professional Landscaper is one who designs, installs, or maintains landscapes. This includes those of us who are primarily in lawn care. ;)

Lawn Dog2001
12-03-2001, 02:01 PM
I consider it the same thing. A nice lawn is part of the landscape of a property. So if you take care of that lawn, I consider that landscaping. Maybe a better term would be landscape maintainence.