PDA

View Full Version : Fixture Selection Advice Please

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Ok, its my turn to ask for some advice.

I have a building mounted application in which I would normally specify the Nightscaping Constitution fixture for. http://www.nightscaping.com/constitution.htm

It is a retrofit on an old out-building and I want to mount the fixtures onto the soffits rather then in them (dont ask). The constitution does a pretty nice providing a soft wash of light which is what I want here.

I would like to find some other, small footprint, soft wash type, fixtures that might work in place of the Constitution.

Thanks.

JoeyD
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Steller??? hmmm??? Probably is too big.Having a hard time envisioning your situation.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Think of a Bunkie (small one room shack) that has only 8' wide soffits with no access behind. I want to flush mount a fixture like the constitution to shine down over the door and stoop, grazing the door and casting a pool of light at the stoop.

The eyebrow on the constitution works great at output, beam shaping and glare control.

I was just wondering if there is another similar fixture that is that small.... perhaps not... It might be an original.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

JoeyD
04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
http://bklighting.com/products.php?ID=524

this light is tiny! It uses that MR5 lamp I posted up earlier.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 06:13 PM
I just looked at the Stellar Joey and It will be to big what with the knuckle and the need for a surface mount etc. The fixture body size is nice and small, but the mechanics of mounting it make it too large for the application.

Thanks.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 06:17 PM
http://bklighting.com/products.php?ID=524

this light is tiny! It uses that MR5 lamp I posted up earlier.

Small diameter, but it need 4.25" of depth to recess into the soffits. These are not that deep and I have no acces to them. If I did, I would just use a Contrast shallow retrofit can and 3" trim.

The fixture I need must be a surface or flush mount.

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
04-10-2008, 06:31 PM
coppermoon has a similar fixture. The part number escapes me at the moment but I dont think it is near as adjustable as the one you posted.

Without a pic of where you intend to mount it I really have no other suggestions as what to use.

klkanders
04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I believe Billy was referencing the Coppermoon CM 850. I have not personally used it however.

Keith

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I have a sample of the Coppermoon CM 850 here (Thanks Doug!) the only issue with it is that it is not quite up to par with the quality of fixtures that I install. (Trying to be polite here...)

I will keep looking....

Thanks.

NightScenes
04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Terradek has a very small black fixture. I have to run for an adjust but I'll see if I can find out for you what the name is.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Paul, I would appreciate that. :)

pete scalia
04-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok, its my turn to ask for some advice.

I have a building mounted application in which I would normally specify the Nightscaping Constitution fixture for. http://www.nightscaping.com/constitution.htm

It is a retrofit on an old out-building and I want to mount the fixtures onto the soffits rather then in them (dont ask). The constitution does a pretty nice providing a soft wash of light which is what I want here.

I would like to find some other, small footprint, soft wash type, fixtures that might work in place of the Constitution.

Thanks.

Your always bragging how Nightscaping will make custom fixtures. Why are you not discussing your needs with them?

pete scalia
04-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Look no further than the Nightscaping catalog

Here's an offering from another Nightscaping guru whose ego is almost paralell to yours.

With compliments-

http://www.nightscaping.com/gambino.htm

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ccfree
04-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey James, look at the CL-20 by FX. It is a surface mount that could work for what you are looking for. It comes in copper, but can be powder coated to match. It takes an AR-11 20 watt halogen, but if that is to bright, I would suggest an 94-frosted or 1142- frosted. This might help. Check it out at FXL.com. I spec a ton of these on arbors and cabana's.

sprinkler guy
04-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Hey James, look at the CL-20 by FX. It is a surface mount that could work for what you are looking for. It comes in copper, but can be powder coated to match. It takes an AR-11 20 watt halogen, but if that is to bright, I would suggest an 94-frosted or 1142- frosted. This might help. Check it out at FXL.com. I spec a ton of these on arbors and cabana's.

James,

Aslo look at the FX Treve Casa. The same socket, so again the AR-11 or the 94F, but a contrating square design versus round of the CL. The TC also lets you move the bulb up and down to change the light output. Both are very well built lights.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys.

Both those FX fixtures have a bit too much profile for this application and they are open bottom, which I would prefer to avoid. FX does make some interesting products and I have wanted to use some for years, but they steadfastly refuse to update their product listings and as such they cannot be installed here in Canada.

I appreciate your help...

pete scalia
04-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Apparently FX is too low brow for canada. But Nightscaping is more up their alley.

Chris J
04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I don't really understand the application, but have you considered the Kichler 15065? If you can install it on a vertical surface, this might work and it's available in brass and also comes in LED.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry Chris... the fixture needs to be installed on a horizontal surface. (The pine soffit, which in this case is only 8" wide and has no interior access)

I basically need a flush mount soft flood with a very small footprint and copper or brass would be ideal.

Pro-Scapes
04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
you reallly need to post pics of this mounting location James.

irrig8r
04-14-2008, 11:02 PM
James, would the Vista 4260 work in this application?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-14-2008, 11:36 PM
You know Gregg, that Vista 4260 in Copper just might do the trick... I have asked for pricing...

My only concern it that it is limited to 10W lamps by spec. and that there is no louver or eyebrow that I can use to adjust for glare control. As there is no extending fascia board on these soffits, and people will be sitting on a deck below three of the fixtures, I think the Constitution will be the way I go...

I will order a 4260 just to take a good look at it.

Have a great day.

sprinkler guy
04-15-2008, 12:21 AM
James,
I've used a couple dozen of the 4260 in the last few weeks and I really like it versus the Integral Light. The mount plate/bracket is removeable, so it can be mounted flat against something if you want. Knowing your concern for an enclosed light might be this little champs only drawback for you. While it has a glass shield on the bottom to help protect the bulb and hide the light source, it is not truly enclosed and would still provide a nice home for the creepy crawleys.

NightScenes
04-16-2008, 11:32 PM
James, the fixture I had in mind will not work for your application because there is no fascia overhang and the the fixture does not have a glare shield and the lamp is too low wattage, all of the things that you just mentioned. Oooppppsss