PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know Honda engines ?

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-10-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a GX 160 on my Trac Vac . It sat outside all winter ( as it has in winters past ) and didn't want to start . Wouldn't even cough with starting fluid , so I gave up . Next day it fired on the first pull , but then didn't run when I needed it to. Today it fired up nice and ran for an hour , then would not restart later. WTF ? I need this machine NOW . I disconnected the " low oil " sensor and it ran so I don't think that's it. Transistorized ignition unit , or dod the on/off switch go bad. I don't want to just throw parts at it. :hammerhead: :confused: :cry: :dizzy: Time for :drinkup:

Restrorob
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Today it fired up nice and ran for an hour , then would not restart later. I disconnected the " low oil " sensor and it ran so I don't think that's it. Transistorized ignition unit , or dod the on/off switch go bad.

From the above I gather it wouldn't start so you disconnected the "low oil" sensor then it did start but you don't think that's the problem ?

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Right . I'm wondering if the on/off switches tend to go bad . Or do I need to go pick up a " transistorized ignition unit ". Is that the same as ignition coil assembly ? Thanks

Restrorob
04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
By un-plugging the low oil sensor then it cranks would tell me that is the problem, As long as you keep a eye on the oil level run it for a few days un-plugged and see how it goes.

If it still acts up then disconnect the black wire from the kill switch that runs through a small hole behind the flywheel, This will eliminate the kill switch. If it still acts up with the switch disconnected the only thing left is the coil/module/ignition unit.

If it runs ok with just the low oil sensor un-plugged replace that small module.

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Everything disconnected except the wire to on/off switch . Ran fine this morning; started raining a bit and then it was done--may or may not be related . It was bulletproof until now...

Restrorob
04-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Well, Just try what I said and repair accordingly. These really are bullet proof little engines. Every unit I finish working on gets pressure washed afterward. Sometimes I will get one a little too wet around the plug wire/boot and they won't start, A little compressed air to dry them out and all is fine.

Digdug
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
"You need to fill the oil." The wire you unplugged is keeping it from running becuase the oil it to low. It runs some times becuase it may be close to the kill level or you have it sitting at a different angle.

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks , Rob . I believe I'll just replace the switch and the module and be done with it .

Restrorob
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
No Problem,

When you install the new module pull it up away from the flywheel and just snug the screws. Rotate the magnet under the module then insert any business card (most are .010" and within spec) between the two, Loosen the screws and let the magnet pull the module to it. Put your finger on the top with light pressure while you tighten the screws, Rotate the flywheel to remove the card.

Digdug
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Why would you not try putting a little more oil in it? Maybe you have i dont know. But when you said it would not start so you disconnected the low oil sensor and it started . The first test would be to fill the oil. Then test the sensor with a ohms meter.

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Dig, the oil was changed at the first sign of trouble and brought to the proper level. Definitely worth mentioning though

Digdug
04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Ok. Good luck. doug

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda engineers , in their wonderful wisdom, label the fuel shutoff valve on and off . How nice it would be if "on" was on the "on" side . Oh, no...An arrow , the word "on"...is at the closed position . I only found it because I was sitting on the driveway with my face an inch from the carburetor removing the bowl. Then I moved the lever away from "on" :hammerhead: :dizzy: :cry: and gas started pouring out. It's funny except I missed half a sunny day to work on this bloody thing . Rant ends...

Bill Kapaun
04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Since you said it ran for an hour, that means you had to have used the valve.
ERGO> "operator error"!

I agree about the valve position though. I just remember a little sooner:)