PDA

View Full Version : Fescue in Centipede?

ETM
04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I have a new customer that wants his centipede sprayed to get the fescue out.Any suggestions. We know about Corsair but we pay $129 for 2 ounces. Kinda steep. Any help ya'll could give us. Gotta spray next week. Thanks

RAlmaroad
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I have a new customer that wants his centipede sprayed to get the fescue out.Any suggestions. We know about Corsair but we pay $129 for 2 ounces. Kinda steep. Any help ya'll could give us. Gotta spray next week. Thanks

I've not seen a label for Corsair but itn't it a pre-emergent for fescue and other clumping grass. And at rates to get rid of fescue in Centipede, it would probably kill it. Find a label and check it out.

ETM
04-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Anybody else?

greendoctor
04-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Most cool season grasses are killed by Image and triazine herbicides. What I routinely apply to lawns here is a mix of Image and simazine.

RAlmaroad
04-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Most cool season grasses are killed by Image and triazine herbicides. What I routinely apply to lawns here is a mix of Image and simazine.

Doc: We don't any kind of fescue in SC, but out of curiosity, what % of image and simazine would be used to get rid of it in the centipede. you never know what birds will carry in.
EMT: Do not use image on dormant grass--It will kill it unless it is actively growing.
Thanks,
Greendoctor

greendoctor
04-13-2008, 04:06 AM
I apply 11.43 oz Image DG and 1 lb simazine per acre to all warm season grasses except for seashore paspalum. I repeat this application in 30 days if needed. I use this any time of the year here other than late summer(August-November). This works very slowly and it is important to fertilize the desireable turf species to ensure that it fills in. The way I have seen this work for removing undesireable grasses and weeds is it stunts their growth and makes them less competitive. This tank mix can be very hard on a lawn that is underfertilized and not watered adequately. Do not do this on grass that is not out of dormancy due to heat or cold. I think late spring-early summer would be best in the south.

greendoctor
04-13-2008, 04:12 AM
I do not have fescue in Hawaii either, but I do deal with emerged crabrass. foxtail, and weedy species of paspalum including dallis grass. Keeping a lawn on pre-m all year long is not an option, too much root pruning. Dimension is not a good idea here either for the same reason and some cultivars of hybrid bermuda cannot be sprayed with this at all. My usual weed management protocol is to kill the emerged weeds and keep the turf so thick and vigorous that not much can emerge.

RAlmaroad
04-13-2008, 06:16 AM
I apply 11.43 oz Image DG and 1 lb simazine per acre to all warm season grasses except for seashore paspalum. I repeat this application in 30 days if needed. I use this any time of the year here other than late summer(August-November). This works very slowly and it is important to fertilize the desireable turf species to ensure that it fills in. The way I have seen this work for removing undesireable grasses and weeds is it stunts their growth and makes them less competitive. This tank mix can be very hard on a lawn that is underfertilized and not watered adequately. Do not do this on grass that is not out of dormancy due to heat or cold. I think late spring-early summer would be best in the south.

Riggggggght
Thanks

ETM
04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Well right now the centipede is greening up so would the image/simazine work? That would be alot cheaper.

RAlmaroad
04-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Well right now the centipede is greening up so would the image/simazine work? That would be alot cheaper.

NO! NO! NO! Give it a while till weather really warms up and stays warm with nights still in the 60's. Centipede is so picky. Doc has a great formula but WAIT. IMAGE IS GOOD STUFF but it kill dormant grass in a heart beat. If you can't wait, just start pulling that fescue. It will come out is clumps after a through irrigation or after a good rain.

ETM
04-13-2008, 11:05 AM
10-4 will do. Thanks for the advice.