PDA

View Full Version : What's your average cost per round for fert and chem per M2?

sedge
04-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Was just wondering where you guys are all at on your costs as far as fert and chem goes per round average.

I just ran the numbers today and we are at about $1.40 per M2 for our 7 app program, per app.

5 ferts, 3 pre-emergents.

Thanx

Hermanator
04-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Was just wondering where you guys are all at on your costs as far as fert and chem goes per round average.

I just ran the numbers today and we are at about $1.40 per M2 for our 7 app program, per app.

5 ferts, 3 pre-emergents.

Thanx

Wow, what a bunch of chicken sh!ts. We are at $1.20. Your using to much of something if your that high.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-11-2008, 11:00 AM
This conversation is absolutely pointless. If you're not gonna discuss WHAT you're putting down, then these #'s are just a load of crap.

ATVracer
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I would dislike being a customer with no postemergent applications.

sedge
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
This conversation is absolutely pointless. If you're not gonna discuss WHAT you're putting down, then these #'s are just a load of crap.

I would dislike being a customer with no postemergent applications.

2 post emergents included.

I didn't figure every one would be willing to discuss their complete program, so I was just asking what every one's average costs were. I don't see why it is pointless. I think it is a very valid question.

Of course, if some one wants to lie here, they can and they can do that either way. If you all are too chicken, then fine, but one's chemical costs are a very small part of your over all costs, so I don't see why your so scared.

VARMIT COMMISSION
04-12-2008, 10:41 AM
DYE (BLUE) .13/1000 (OPTIONAL)
QUICKSILVER .14/1000 (OPTIONAL)
PRE-M .27/1000 (SPLIT APP)
SURFRACTANT .06/1000 (OPTIONAL)
3-WAY .12/1000 (LATE)
24D ESTER .10/1000 (EARLY)

THATS .62/1000
OR SKIP THE STICKER,DYE,QUICKSILVER AND IT IS ONLY
.37 TO .39 CENTS PER 1000 SQUARE FEET

Fertilizer just depends on the time of year. Melted, granular, combo-product.

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-12-2008, 11:30 AM
I run a very thorough pkg that includes:

6 ferts
5 weed sprays
5 concrete crack sprays
2 pre-em's
1 grub prevention
1 topical insectide
1 shrub/bush/ornamental spray

My averaged cost per M (strictly chemical costs) = $1.9533.

turf hokie
04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
but one's chemical costs are a very small part of your over all costs, so I don't see why your so scared.

All I do is fert and squirt. So it is the BULK of my costs.

sedge
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
All I do is fert and squirt. So it is the BULK of my costs.

So you don't hardly have any labor, fuel, advertising or overhead related expenses huh? Wow, that's amazing. Your a lucky guy :-)

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-12-2008, 06:50 PM
So you don't hardly have any labor, fuel, advertising or overhead related expenses huh? Wow, that's amazing. Your a lucky guy :-)

Of course there's overhead, but when you divide the non-chemical costs across a few hundred customers, it's not so bad.

I, for one, have a per-customer chemical cost that's more than double the per-customer non-chemical costs. If my average lawn is 6k, then I'm spending $70ish on chems, while the other costs only add up to $30ish.

This will all vary, of course, based on truck payments, insurance rates, how you advertise, etc... but chemical costs are easily the biggest factor for me, as well.

sedge
04-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Of course there's overhead, but when you divide the non-chemical costs across a few hundred customers, it's not so bad.

I, for one, have a per-customer chemical cost that's more than double the per-customer non-chemical costs. If my average lawn is 6k, then I'm spending $70ish on chems, while the other costs only add up to $30ish.

This will all vary, of course, based on truck payments, insurance rates, how you advertise, etc... but chemical costs are easily the biggest factor for me, as well.

First of all, thank you for posting yours.

Secondly, I think they are for every one except maybe false green and scott's.

With that said, I see no way that I now know your fert and chem costs could help me in any way compete against you or any one else. There is so much more involved on what a person will charge or can charge, but only to a small degree is it totally based off of ones product costs.

One can have a higher cost because of poor product choices or a lower cost based on poor product choices. So for some to be "worried" that some one else would know their product costs, are to me, very silly.

Any ways, thanx

whoopassonthebluegrass
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
I see no way that I now know your fert and chem costs could help me in any way compete against you or any one else... So for some to be "worried" that some one else would know their product costs, are to me, very silly.

You're right on. Not only that, however. Anyone who would pursue someone else's #'s is almost guaranteed to be a business failure. If one's business model is simply to price match and price beat - with no ingenuity or uniqueness to the program, it's only a matter of time before they fail. If, at the end of it all, you bring nothing special to the table - then how are you gonna hold on?

I am, of course, speaking hypothetically/rhetorically here - not referring to you.

I say it over and over and over on here. When it comes to comparing and contrasting packages, costs, etc... it is ALMOST ALWAYS apples to oranges.

RigglePLC
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
About $1.30

turf hokie
04-13-2008, 10:12 AM

He was asking about the fert and chem costs. Funny guy.

I have overhead but that was not the question. And my answer is the same, my fert and chems are the bulk of my DIRECT costs. Labor is my second major direct cost.

But to ask what my costs are for fert and chems will never be accurate based on demographics, shipping etc.

I would prefer to ask what is your % chemical costs based on you total sales. This I think would be a better way to figure if you are paying too much or not charging enough. 26% would be my cost of materials based on total volume of sales.

sedge
04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
He was asking about the fert and chem costs. Funny guy.

I have overhead but that was not the question. And my answer is the same, my fert and chems are the bulk of my DIRECT costs. Labor is my second major direct cost.

But to ask what my costs are for fert and chems will never be accurate based on demographics, shipping etc.

I would prefer to ask what is your % chemical costs based on you total sales. This I think would be a better way to figure if you are paying too much or not charging enough. 26% would be my cost of materials based on total volume of sales.

Good point, either will work though, as I am just trying to see a rough base line. Ours is at 28.6%.

rcreech
04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
It all comes down to where you live.

My inputs in some cases are 30-50% less then a lot of people on I have read on here.....but I also can't charge as much due to our area!

At the end of the day our margins are probably very similar though!

EXAMPLE
I charge $130-140/acre and someone else can charge $200....but we will net the same money after inputs!

I should buy all my prouduct here in OH and go up to NY and do apps! :laugh:

I am not sure why you NY guys and ones from the NE don't buy your inputs down here! It would MORE then pay for your shipping!

Just an idea! That is definitly what I would do!

From what I have read you could save $5-8/gallon on ThreeWay products and about $8 - 10.00+/bag on fert!

Right there alone you could save about $9000 per truck load!

Making the money isn't as much as doing the work....as it is buying it right!

Mscotrid
04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
3-WAY .12/1000 (LATE)

THATS .62/1000

Varmit, you pay $10.24 a gallon for 3way? .12 cents x 85.3 coverage of a gallon of 3way at 1.5oz p/m =$10.24 cost per gallon. Nice buying power

mngrassguy
04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I try to keep it about 25%

VARMIT COMMISSION
04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by VARMIT COMMISSION
3-WAY .12/1000 (LATE)

THATS .62/1000

Varmit, you pay $10.24 a gallon for 3way? .12 cents x 85.3 coverage of a gallon of 3way at 1.5oz p/m =$10.24 cost per gallon. Nice buying power
______
1.5 OZ????? 1 QT/acre would be around .75 oz.