PDA

View Full Version : Mower blowing white smoke...

danielslawncare
04-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I just bought a JD 850a and it just rolled over 9 hours or so. ever since i got it, it has blown out white smoke. it happens when i start it up and when i throttle down from high rpm's really fast. i think it is getting worse. is this normal for new engines orwhat??? any input would be greatly appreciated.

imograss
04-10-2008, 10:02 PM
The oil case is probably overfilled.

danielslawncare
04-10-2008, 10:05 PM
should i try draining some of the oil? i just changed it after the 5 hr. break-in period and filledit to capacity... 2.1 qts

ALC-GregH
04-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I would take it back to the dealer.

jaybird24
04-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Did you change the filter also? New mowers do burn oil, but by 9 hours you shouldn't notice it.

danielslawncare
04-10-2008, 10:17 PM
i did change the oil filter as well. the machine runs perfectly fine. i dont get it

ALC-GregH
04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
The rings might not have seated properly. I'd recommend taking it back and let the dealer know whats going on. It HAS to be under warranty with only 9hrs on it.

LarryF
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm not familiar with the JD 850A, but engine-smoke problems usually fall into three categories.

black smoke - too much fuel suggesting rich mixture.

blue smoke - burning oil

white smoke - it's really steam because somehow water has gotten into the combustion chamber

But I don't know if this engine is water cooled. If it is and the exhaust smoke is really white, your problem is as stated. But if it's blue or blue-gray, you are burning oil, which may stop after the engine has more hours on it.

KGR landscapeing
04-10-2008, 11:28 PM
did you put the correct oil in it. sometimes diffrent weight oil can cause white smoke issues

danielslawncare
04-11-2008, 01:47 AM
it is and 830a, im sorry, but it is air cooled. i know whitesmoke means water in the gas, but i dont know how it would have happened. it hasnt even been rained on. i guess ill let my dealer know about it.

S DIAMOND
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Daniel, it seems that most of the responses have covered the basic scenarios associated with your problem. Again on level ground, and before starting, make sure the oil level is slightly below the full mark on the dip stick. Yes wipe the stick and do it again.
Is this smoking consistent and light, or is more like the fog at a Whitesnake concert?
If you had alot of water in the fuel, smoking would not be an issue as much as running poorly would be. But, you can check with a good light source and see if there is any water "blobbing" around at the bottom of the fuel tank.

There are two other possibilities, however, based on the age of the engine (9 hours) not likely.

1) There is a complete or partial loss of crankcase vacuum, and excess oil is being burned off in the combustion chamber.

2) You have used, or the dealer, Full synthetic oil as your break in oil and the rings and cylinder have glazed over, or, have excessively loaded the engine during break in , which accomplishes the same thing...(worse case scenario).
I have witnessed the second case with a General two-man auger with a Honda GXV160 engine. It had less than 16 hours of run time, and would smoke heavily. After eliminating the usual suspects, I had to tear the engine down, only to find indeed the cylinder and rings were glazed over. After lightly honing the engine and replacing the rings, the engine ran well. (Again, worse case.)

Disclaimer about the synthetic oil for break in: American Honda, not myself, states this fact about synthetic oil and was covered in a March 2007 school...Obviously, this case does not effect everyone, and is only a possibility. Can it be a possibility. YES. Honda's reasoning was this; synthetic oil does its job so well, that it makes it nearly impossible for the rings and cylinder wall to seat properly during break in. In affect, the metal will develop a protective coat (glaze) and will never successfully mate the two surfaces, thus allowing oil to by pass the rings.

Take this unit back to the dealer if you cannot resolve this...don't call. Let them see the problem first hand. Again, I'm sure this a small fix, but it doesn't hurt to know. Good luck.:)

danielslawncare
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks guys for all your help. it didnt do it today, so i justdont know. its like a big puff of whitesmoke. i accidentally started it while this little girl was walking by and i couldnt even see her the cloud of smoke was so big! lol

VegetiveSteam
04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
What is the engine brand and model number?

danielslawncare
04-13-2008, 05:55 PM
it is a 27 hp kawasaki