PDA

View Full Version : perfect trailer size ???

wallyturcotte
04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
i would like to know what size of trailers you guys are using??? and what u can put on them mower wise.... walk behind and mid mount?? or ?? whats the best length??? i think i am going to go with a enclosed all aluminum ...... does anyone else use one of these???

TarheelTLC
04-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I have a 5x10 and struggle everyday. I put a push mower, 48 inch ztr, gas, trash can, and have all the racks for trimmers and blowers. I have no extra room for cleanups, spreader, aerator, etc. I am looking for a 7x16 enclosed currently. Most every guy around here do not like the enclosed. I am tired of spending 30 minutes a day unloading into the garage when I could leave it on the trailer secured. I have used a tarp some too with the current trailer but spent too much money on equipment to worry about the weather messing it up.

cgaengineer
04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I have a 6x12 open and a 5x10 open...I prefer the 5x10 as I can back into my garage at the end of the mowing day and keep my equipment secure. I only have a 40" WB and a 21" and hand tools so I dont need a ton of room. I am going to weld a frame on the top rail of my trailer and install a locking tool chest so that I can store my Sthil Kombi tools...they will be locked and out of the weather while on job.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Im currently looking for a trailer aswell. Right now i have a 5x10 but i ran out of room real quick. I put a 42inch z on it and a 32inch walkbehind and barely can do that. Im thinking about a 7x16 thats what most people use from what i can tell. but im also looking at a 7x18 cause they say when u buy a trailer make sure you can grow in it. I would love to buy a enclosed but its not my time right now...

RollTide11
04-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I use a 6x10 and I put my 52" Z on it with plenty of extra room no problem.

KGR landscapeing
04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
i use a 6x12 the 48 is at the ramp door then the 32 the push blower the 21 and the 2 edgers everything eles hands also have a bagger tarps and a garbage can. i have a box on the tounge for all the gas and other stuff. its a turn key pull up hook up drag it away and you have a whole landscaping rig. its enclosed

nosparkplugs
04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Thier is no perfect trailer

MileHigh
04-11-2008, 12:21 AM
I use a 6'9" x 14ft trailer, and I do wish I bought a bigger trailer, it looks smaller and smaller everyday. But I can easily fit the 48", 36," 21" mowers
on the deck of the trailer, with plenty of room for an aerator, and other power equipment, But who knows if I get a 72" into the mix. I do like the mobility of the smaller trailer though..but I made sure I got the extra wide option.

lawncutterupper
04-11-2008, 12:31 AM
I have a 5x10 and struggle everyday. I put a push mower, 48 inch ztr, gas, trash can, and have all the racks for trimmers and blowers. I have no extra room for cleanups, spreader, aerator, etc. I am looking for a 7x16 enclosed currently. Most every guy around here do not like the enclosed. I am tired of spending 30 minutes a day unloading into the garage when I could leave it on the trailer secured. I have used a tarp some too with the current trailer but spent too much money on equipment to worry about the weather messing it up.

Dont you have a bed on hte back of your truck?

JMiller08
04-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Im just starting this year with a 6 and a half by 12 open trailer. I will only be carrying a 48 inch lesco walk behind and a 21 in. I was just wondering though do you think my 95 nissan pickup with a 3.0 liter manual trans will have trouble pulling it. Thanks guys

Paulup
04-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Its got the v6, so you should be alright. If you're in stop and go traffic, carefully watch your temp gauge, and go easy on the clutch.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-12-2008, 12:29 PM
give yourself time to stop dont follow close behind , take it easy on the road

S L C
04-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Im currently looking for a trailer aswell. Right now i have a 5x10 but i ran out of room real quick. I put a 42inch z on it and a 32inch walkbehind and barely can do that. Im thinking about a 7x16 thats what most people use from what i can tell. but im also looking at a 7x18 cause they say when u buy a trailer make sure you can grow in it. I would love to buy a enclosed but its not my time right now...

I was going to order a 7 x 16 as well... at the last minute, I ended up ordering a 83" x 18' PJ trailer with a two foot dovetail to ease the slope of the ramp (makes a huge difference!) and the 2" round pipe top rail... should be pretty sweet when it arrives!!!!!! For a little extra width and length, the price difference really wasn't that much... :clapping:

Jay Ray
04-12-2008, 02:12 PM

An enclosed trailer is not enough security. A guy in Orange Grove here had everything chained to the trailer and thieves took it all. He went to an enclosed and thieves took the trailer and everything in it. I got three barking biscuit eaters and I don't sleep too soundly. The alpha male has good judgment as to when things are right or wrong and doesn't bark at every little thing. The other two follow him. But it could still get stolen. Nothing is secure in this country.

BillyRgn
04-12-2008, 03:43 PM
i have a big tex 16 footer, and i can fit 2 exmark 60 inch lazers and a 48 inch exmark walk behind turned sideways, however when i put the ultra-vac on one of them i have to take off the walkbehind , personally it all depends on how much equiptment you have, i used to have a 6 x 12 when i was smaller, and fit the exmark 48" walk behind, and a 60" exmark lazer, a push blower, and a 21in mower, it was crouded but i dodn't have a ultra-vac, now with the stuff i have, i wish i had a 20 footer, so i don't have to turn anything sideways and can get another ultra vac for the other lazer as well as being able to have my push blowers on without haveing to take anything off.

ffemt1271
04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
i got a 6 1/2 x 12 and a 83 x 16. can haul 1 lazer and a w/b on the small one and 2 lazers on the big one, i want a 20' enclosed so i can put 2 lazers and a w/b in and have it all secured out of the weather.

lee's lawn service
04-12-2008, 04:31 PM
i usev a 7x 16 perfect

M&SLawnCare
04-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I have a 6X12 and carry a 60"ztr, 36"w/b and my 21". That pretty much fills it up. My next one with be 7X16.

Frue
04-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a 6.5 by 12 and can fit my 60 and my push mower.

ed2hess
04-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Thier is no perfect trailer

One thing we learned is to use a single axle trailer as long as you can because the dual axle trailers eat up tires.

BillyRgn
04-13-2008, 02:52 PM
One thing we learned is to use a single axle trailer as long as you can because the dual axle trailers eat up tires.

i agree with you about the double axle's eating up tires, but when i had a fully loaded single axle i used to eat up brakes on the truck all the time.

ed2hess
04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
i agree with you about the double axle's eating up tires, but when i had a fully loaded single axle i used to eat up brakes on the truck all the time.
Almost all the dual axle trailers here only have brakes on one axle....is there some other reason a single would be worse on truck?

KGR landscapeing
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Almost all the dual axle trailers here only have brakes on one axle....is there some other reason a single would be worse on truck?

i think he was saying single axle with out brakes

pdenney11
04-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I use a 6.5X12, with a 50" and 42" z but they only fit sideways. 21" push, tool box mounted on it also with tools, gas cans, and chainsaw inside. It's tight but I like it because It fits in the garage and I dont have to unload equipment every night. I don't have any room for cleanups though but ill get over it.

davis45
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I run a 7 x 16. As to what i keep on it, not too sure right now, haha. Been changing my set-up alot this year, buying and selling.

As of right now. A 21" pusher, 36" Walk behind, 48" ZTR, 3 place trimmer rack, hand tool rack, landscapers box for hand blowers, gas cans, first aid kit, traffic cones. Tool box on side.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Ive made up my mind im goin w/ the 7x18 forsure. It just makes sense since i have both mowers w/ baggers.

retrodog
04-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Ive made up my mind im goin w/ the 7x18 forsure. It just makes sense since i have both mowers w/ baggers.

Wish I would have asked this question, I just got my 18 ft thinking that I could fit 3 zero turns on it...One sideways and the other 2 regular. If you were wondering why I thought that, I have an 18 ft car hauler, and I can haul 3 on it no problem. ZT won't turn sideways in a 77" trailer with sides!! Now I have an awesome trailer, but only 2 mowers will fit, I have alot of wasted room. Should have ordered a 22 footer for 3, or a 15 footer for the 2....oh well....we all learn from our mistakes.

retrodog
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Wish I would have asked this question, I just got my 18 ft thinking that I could fit 3 zero turns on it...One sideways and the other 2 regular. If you were wondering why I thought that, I have an 18 ft car hauler, and I can haul 3 on it no problem. ZT won't turn sideways in a 77" trailer with sides!! Now I have an awesome trailer, but only 2 mowers will fit, I have alot of wasted room. Should have ordered a 22 footer for 3, or a 15 footer for the 2....oh well....we all learn from our mistakes.

lol....you dont' want to buy my new 18 footer do you?.......lol

Dugann
04-14-2008, 12:00 AM
how many trick out their trailer with racks etc? the jungle jim trailer mates seem like a good idea to save room and look professional. I have 10x5. And it is TOO damn short:p

BillyRgn
04-14-2008, 01:48 PM

i was talking about a single with no brakes, i never saw a single with brakes, but any brakes on a trailer helps, because no matter what wheither there on one or both axles, they are designed to stop the gross weight of the trailer.

gardiner
04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer and it fits my 48" walk behind, 36" walk behind, 2 push mowers and blower & weed eater. It is tight but still have little room for gas cans & a few other little stuff. I am now trying to find away to store my hand tools (broom, racks, shovels, etc). I was thinking of betting an alum storage box to put on tongue of trailer to hold most of the hand tools.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
04-14-2008, 02:54 PM
lol....you dont' want to buy my new 18 footer do you?.......lol

I would but your too far away. lol good luck this year...

KGR landscapeing
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I have a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer and it fits my 48" walk behind, 36" walk behind, 2 push mowers and blower & weed eater. It is tight but still have little room for gas cans & a few other little stuff. I am now trying to find away to store my hand tools (broom, racks, shovels, etc). I was thinking of betting an alum storage box to put on tongue of trailer to hold most of the hand tools.

i just tryd sticking my 48 my 32 the push 2 edgers and a wheeld blower in my enlcosed and my bagger and garbage cans r like sitting on it. and my push and lawn vac didnt make it back in its way to small time to upgrade

charmill26
04-14-2008, 04:39 PM
I have a 5x10 open with a 48 and 36 walkbehind. they fit but it isnt very fun doing it all day long. im going to get a 16ft sometime this year and that should give me plenty of room to grow