PDA

View Full Version : am i slow???

jds720
04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
so im a solo operater, and it takes me around 8hours to get 9 accounts done. some are full service, some just basic. all residental. desent size houses. im just trying to pick up the pace a little! not sure if thats normal:confused:

Rcgm
04-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Ask yourself a few questions. Are you making money after it is all said and done and everything is payed for? Do the properties look good? Are you happy? If you answered yes to these questions then who cares if you are slow.

RCGM
Brad

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-10-2008, 11:53 PM
no way 2 know, I am solo and one day I CAN do 23 in 10 hours the next day maybe 8

MJS
04-10-2008, 11:55 PM
The important part is to make sure (1. you are doing a good job, and (2. making enough money.

If yes to both of those, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

KGR landscapeing
04-10-2008, 11:59 PM
isnt the reason your out on your own to work at your own pace????? make the money you want take your time do it right and try not to retrace steps.

topsites
04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
No, that's actually super fast, I'm still working on getting UP to 5 yards a day.
Then again I'm 41 and age and wear and tear from abuses years ago...

But it takes time, to get up to speed.
I mean TIME, weeks, maybe a month or two.
Even in my 7th year, it just don't come like crack-boom-bang in real life.

You just gotta take your time, concentrate on quality, let speed come along on its own.
Which, if you're wondering if you're slow I would have to say you're doing it right.

LushGreenLawn
04-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Thats about what I would be doing with your equipment list (with my clients, not sure what sizes, ect, you have. I am solo right now also.

thesodfather
04-11-2008, 12:39 AM
All Yards, $10. What do you mean you have an Acre?

are you kidding?

Paulup
04-11-2008, 12:52 AM
are you kidding?

Yes, he is.

cgaengineer
04-11-2008, 07:57 AM
How many sq ft are the lawns? I can do 3-4 25K lawns in an evening if I really bust my a$$.

corbster
04-11-2008, 08:08 AM
so im a solo operater, and it takes me around 8hours to get 9 accounts done. some are full service, some just basic. all residental. desent size houses. im just trying to pick up the pace a little! not sure if thats normal:confused:

What is the distance between properties, how many miles do you travel per day mowing?

mngrassguy
04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
The only way to tell if your making money on each job is by "job costing". Keep track of your time in and time out on each job. At the end of the year, divide your total income on that job by your total time spent.

When you know your cost per hour on each job, you can decide which jobs you need to raise prices on. 1/3 get big increases, 1/3 get medium increases, 1/3 just a little or none at all. After 10 years you'll make good money on all your work!!!

RollTide11
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm only doing 3 or 4 a day but they are all at least 1 to 2 acre yards.

BQLC
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
as you do ea ch property you will see ways that will increase your speed without killing your quality, do not get discouraged the longer you do it the better you will become
do not rush yourself and sacrifice quality for speed

french's lawn care
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I am a solo operator also and last year I was doing about 8 yards in about 5-6 hrs with a 40in deck but they were grouped together so i only had to unload 4 times

nautica1580
04-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I am also a solo operator, I can mow about 15-18 1/4acre homes each day. That is mowing,edging,weedeating,and blowing. I travel about 12 miles total through the whole day, so I guess I'm not wasting to much time in travel. My advice, work at your own pace and do a quality job. Dont sacrafice quality for speed. Good luck with your business, god bless.

yardtamer
04-11-2008, 10:58 PM
The bottom line is are your clients happy with your work...It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you do it right the first time.. You'll make money if you take care of those who take care of you..Referrals referrals and more referrals , thats what happens to people who do excellent work. work at your own pace ..you know if your making money... or more importantly if your happy with what you have accomplished.:clapping:

Chilehead
04-12-2008, 12:16 AM
I am solo as well. My customer-dense days are loaded with 13 clients with 1/3--1/2 acre yards and only two stops a mile apart. My other days are comprised of doing 6-8 clients with 20 minutes of load trailer-drive-unload trailer time between houses. However, I DO NOT make my money based on customer volume, I make it based on profit MARGIN. I cater to ultra-high end residential clients who will pay $60.00 for their 1/4 acre lot to put Pebble Beach Golf Links to shame--that's just the price of mowing, let alone trimming hedges and chemical apps.

LushGreenLawn
04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
are you kidding?

Of course not. The best way to get new business is to price yourself cheaper than the competition! I also have a fertilizer and weed control program. I get $25 for an acre. My service is better, because all the weed control I put down at twice the labeled rate. I can also provide the best rates for mulch, because I make my own mulch with my craftsman wood chipper. I can make a yard of mulch in like half a day, and I can get $40 to put it down. That puts me at minimum wage right there!

dKoester
04-12-2008, 12:58 AM
If your solo you should try to make at a minimum 500 bucks a day.

Frue
04-12-2008, 09:21 AM
your equipment is a little on the weak side so you have room to work with.

JayD
04-12-2008, 08:12 PM

You got a gate with you trailer?.......
Man, I got ripped off.......:hammerhead:

jds720
04-12-2008, 08:37 PM
not sure i get that?

JayD
04-12-2008, 08:53 PM
not sure i get that?

Oh, sorry jds, I was just poking at you a little. on your equipment listings, you put down what trailer you had but also took the the time to add "with a gate", I just thought it looked funny putting that in there because don't they all come/have a gate?
Just funnin with ya....

jds720
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM
wow that went wayy over my head! it was a copy and paste from when i bought all the equipment.

JayD
04-13-2008, 02:14 AM
wow that went wayy over my head! it was a copy and paste from when i bought all the equipment.

I hope everything is OK with us, I really was just teasing you a little. I meant no harm.

I have done many things myself that now I look back on and laugh at LOL.

jds720
04-13-2008, 08:32 AM
no worries im thick skined!

fool32696
04-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Running my 66" Hustler solo my record is 17 in a day. Mostly half acre, but that day included some larger commercials. For an 8 hour day I usually knock out 10-12 solo. Got a new guy starting next week with 3yrs experience, hopefully we'll put up some nice numbers.

Jason Rose
04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't think anyone can really answer this without knowing the exact size and maintenance required of each property you service. In an ideal world I like to see 2 per hour production from myself. Now can I always acheive that? no way... If I'm mowing in an HOA I can do 5 an hour, in other neghiborhoods it may take me an hour to an hour and a half per lawn because of the lot sizes.

All total, counting each home in the HOA's (one has 9 homes, the other 12) as a seperate "lot" I'm doing 95 lots/houses/lawns per week. I can do these in about 55 hours a week if the weather is perfect and I don't have any equipment problems. This includes drive time, and works out to an average of about 35 minutes per lawn.

siklid1066
04-13-2008, 03:54 PM
If your solo you should try to make at a minimum 500 bucks a day.

Min 500,so in your location you can average 600 a day.Thats 3000 grand a week.Man,I would move there yesterday:cool2:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-13-2008, 03:58 PM
if you make $500 a day that is a great day, if you are solo .............

TomberLawn
04-13-2008, 04:23 PM
If all of my yards were like a couple of $50-60 yards I do, I could make $500/day, but I would be very tired at the end of the day. They would all have to be really close, too, like in the same neighborhood or even side-by-side. I'm still working part-time and have a light workload, so speed isn't my main goal. I just want to do the best job I can so that I'll get some good referrals from my current customers. Sometimes I'll spend an extra 5-10 minutes to do an extra good job without charging any extra. Sometimes the homeowner realizes I spent some extra time there and will give me a tip. Sometimes the homeowner doesn't realize I did anything extra, but they would notice if something wasn't right.

Even on the same property, my time can vary a lot. A small restaurant I mow at took me 27 minutes on my fastest day, but 43 minutes the next time. The big difference was because I bag this property and one week, there was hardly anything growing, so I only emptied the bag 2 times. The next week, it had rained and been warm, so I had to empty the bag probably 8-10 times. I'd rather not bag, but there's always a lot of trash (straw wrappers, cigarette butts, etc) in the grass that I'd rather the mower suck up than me have to pick up.

greenbaylawns
04-13-2008, 04:38 PM
so I'm a solo operator, and it takes me around 8hours to get 9 accounts done. some are full service, some just basic. all residential. descent size houses. I'm just trying to pick up the pace a little! not sure if that's normal:confused:

Just keep plucking Sound like your keeping busy? Unless your only working 2 days a week. I think you can do 50 to 60 a week if you want. I figure for every hour of work, add one lawn, just like you have. 8 hours of work 9 lawns, 12 hours of work 13 lawns, etc. Now you want to run around like a raped ape and do 22 a day, then we'll see how your lawns look after about the third month. (I'll bet they start to looking dumpy). Good Luck

siklid1066
04-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Just keep plucking Sound like your keeping busy? Unless your only working 2 days a week. I think you can do 50 to 60 a week if you want. I figure for every hour of work, add one lawn, just like you have. 8 hours of work 9 lawns, 12 hours of work 13 lawns, etc. Now you want to run around like a raped ape and do 22 a day, then we'll see how your lawns look after about the third month. (I'll bet they start to looking dumpy). Good Luck

Just watch the 12 hour days,cause if you get 2 solid days of rain you have to make up that 24hrs:hammerhead:

PHS
04-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Now you want to run around like a raped ape and do 22 a day, then we'll see how your lawns look after about the third month

That's funny :laugh:

Just watch the 12 hour days,cause if you get 2 solid days of rain you have to make up that 24hrs

I agree. There's a solo LCO who does a property down the street that must be on the end of his route. Everytime we get a good rain he's showing up in the dark with his ass draggin trying to mow with the headlights on...Time to start raising prices :)

jds720
04-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone for their input! Im going to change my tactics alitte and keep truckn along!:weightlifter:

JeffW0011
04-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Thats not bad. Of course I don't know the size and the grouping (drive time) and the prices. But if they are averaging $35-$40 a shot and you are doing this every day I would think you would be doing alright as a one man gig. I'm figuring your revenue must be about $335-$350 on the days you are doing these 9 cuts in 8 hours. Considering you probably don't have a lot of overhead and no labor cost you must be doing pretty well if you are doing this 4 or 5 days a week.

I remember when I first started out totally solo.....9 $35 yards in a day would have been a herculian effort. Like "Top Sites" I am forty years old and lived a pretty faced paced lifestyle for several years there in my twenties and earlier thirties. I'm in much better shape now, know a lot more, and have a lot tighter routes, but when I am cutting alone I think 9 or 10 residentials in a day is quite respectable. But I'm also very anal about my work and probably spend too much time at job sites making sure the trimming is perfect and stuff. I think my record on a solo day is 17. But it was a do or die day and I was at it about 15 hours. When I schedule my week I normally schedule 7-9 jobs on days I am riding solo and maybe as many as the low 20's when I got help and it is going to be a long perfect weather day. Things just move so much faster with a competent helper. Not like twice as fast but like 2.5 times as fast.

But I think your doing great at 9 in 8.

siklid1066
04-15-2008, 07:39 AM
I set my week with 4 solid maintenance days,1.5 days for landscape,misc,trimming.If it rains the 1.5 work can be pushed off till better weather.

mngrassguy
04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Good plan. I do it the same way

Frue
04-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Its not how many but how much!!!!!! I did 10 yesterday and I am solo. But if they were only 15.00 it was not a good day. Shoot for 300-500 a day as a solo guy. Now you can do more than 500 a day but it really depends on your area.

larryinalabama
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
50 good accounts per week is a nice business.

siklid1066
04-15-2008, 09:06 PM
50 good accounts per week is a nice business.

50 at how much a week though?How many hours?Extras?

larryinalabama
04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
50 at how much a week though?How many hours?Extras?

50 accounts at an average of 35$. That still leaves time do do extra work like aerating rototilling installs etc. To me thats a nice living.