PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen guys....Nurse tank?

TLS
04-11-2008, 08:15 AM
First day using the PG yesterday. I'm spreading Dimension (15-0-5) and spraying Speedzone. Finding water is becoming a real problem. I'm finding myself rearranging my route just to find hoses to refill with.

Is there an inexpensive way to buy/build a nurse tank?

Any other suggestions? May look into 5gal jugs, but I dont know how many I could come up with (restaurant fryer oil often comes in nice plastic 5gal containers with a 3" screw on cap).

Also, do you guys measuring cup the herbicide out each fill, or do you pre-fill old herbicide containers so you can just pour and fill?

rcreech
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
When I first started I bought an old 150 gallon tank and put it in the back of my truck and just let it gravity into the PG.
It was quick and cheap!

The only disadvantages were it was somewhat slow (and I even used a 1.25" line) and as the level got lower or closer to the PG it would work slowly and then quit and I would have to refill enen though there was still say 30-40 gallon in it.

Best way is to you a skid type sprayer.

When using a pump and a 1" line I can load my PG now in about 4 minutes and out!

As far as measuring chem....I have always carried jugs and measured, but this year I am going to a 9 gallon tank with electric pump. No pouring anymore, as I am going to pump the herb into my measuring cup.

Still puting it together but will post pics when complete.

I hate measuring chem on a customer's property. Don't care how careful you are you almost always get some dribble or splash!

sclawndr
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Don't use customer water! If nothing else, it's not professional. I use a 30 gallon tank with a $10 bilge pump for water. On the chemical side you have to be careful - if you transfer concentrate out of the original container, you're required to put labels on any new container that list the product name, active ingredient, etc. (at least in PA). A tip and pour provides fast and accurate measurement.

LwnmwrMan22
04-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I use rinsed out chemical jugs, the 2.5 gallons, let the 65 gallon nurse tank gravity feed into those, and then dump those into the Magnum.

Usually by the time I take my time to dump the first jug and not dump water all over everything, the next 2.5 gallon jug is just about over-filling, and then just replace the second jug with the first. You only need 4 jugs to get more than enough water.

It's fast enough for me. It takes longer to measure out the chemical each time than it does to fill the magnum with water.

I have an enclosed trailer that I park the Magnum on each time I fill, so I don't spill any chemical on parking lots or lawns.

Runner
04-11-2008, 08:10 PM
I just carry the 2.5 gal. jugs with me in the truck. I fill about a dozen or so of them up in the morning, and I'm good to go. During the mid season, when I am just spotting, of course I take quite a few less. The nice thing out them, is they are just so fast to refill the PG with. They are also neat - without spillage. Also, just a note... the jugs have to have the labels removed, and should be labeled H2O.

TLS
04-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys. I'll likely be looking for a 30 gal tank with a 12v pump of some sort. We'll see. All done round 1 for now. Just got rained in tonite too!

n-green
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
I use a 50 gallon poly tank from Gregson-Clark with 12 volt transfer pump connected to the outlet; fused wire from the battery to a toggle switch mounted at the rear side panel of the bed; 20 feet of 3/4 heater hose with a fuel type nozzle at the end. It works great but it's a real rig job!

DLCS
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
www.dultmier.com has several style of tnaks that you could use for a nurse. Wal-mart also sells 5 gallon water jugs, if you want to go that route. Small 12volt pumps can be had at the above address or any farm store to use for transfer.

pieperlc
04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Gregson Clark now makes an 80 gal. fill system designed for filling ride-ons. It's on their website under latest news. It has a 5 gpm 12 volt pump for transfering. Looks like it would work pretty well. It won't use a lot of truck bed space either. Seems like it's a little pricey at $424 + shipping, but if you have the need it's only money. If you could find the right size and shape tank, you can build your own for less I'm sure.

AustinLawnscape
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I bought a 60 gallon tank/pump(3.5 GPM) setup from B & B Technologies. Here's their link:

http://b-btech.com/AA_spot.htm

It was approx $200 including shipping. It was model number: SS60B (spot sprayer 60 Gal.) It came with a "T" fitting, with both a pistol grip spray gun, and a regular garden hose fitting w/shut off valve (I had to ask for the hose fitting) which will allow me to refill.

I'm a newbie so I can't tell you about long term. I bought the 60 gal. tank to put in the back of my pickup to refill my spray rig. The extra hose & gun that came with it was a bonus.

Good luck in finding what you need. Ed

TLS
04-21-2008, 08:11 AM
I like the Gregson Clark, but the $424 seems like a lot for what you get. Heck, I really only need a gravity flow system. Tank, valve and 1" hose, right?

LwnmwrMan22
04-21-2008, 08:15 AM
I like the Gregson Clark, but the $424 seems like a lot for what you get. Heck, I really only need a gravity flow system. Tank, valve and 1" hose, right?

Standard garden hose works fast enough.

Just let it run into the 2.5 gallon jugs that your chemical ran into. While you're emptying that into the ride on, the next one will fill up.

If the jug overflows, it's only water.

Usually I'll fill up a jug, dump some chemical while the next jug is filling, grab that one, dump, put the rest of the chemical in, grab the next full jug, dump, by that time the 3rd jug is full dump, and then top it off with the second jug that's now full again. Pretty much as fast as it took for me to type this all out.

TLS
04-21-2008, 08:17 AM
But I need 50-70 some gallons a day. That's a LOT of 2.5 gallon jugs. I don't even have enough empties right now to add up to 12 gallons!

LwnmwrMan22
04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
But I need 50-70 some gallons a day. That's a LOT of 2.5 gallon jugs. I don't even have enough empties right now to add up to 12 gallons!

No no no... use a 60-80-100 gallon nurse tank. I personally use a 65 gallon.

Then use (2-3) 2.5 gallon jugs, and run the tank into the jugs gravity feed, and dump the jugs into the ride on.

I do this, because my PG Magnum's tank is higher than the bed of my pickup. I COULD gravity feed into the PG Magnum, but only for the first tank or two.

This way you only need a 6-8' hose, fill the jugs right next to the truck.