PDA

View Full Version : Gutter Cleaning

branhamt
12-01-2001, 06:26 PM
Hello,
I am woundering how many LCO perform gutter cleaning as a added value to the operation. I am currently doing this and would like any tips that may be available. I pull out all the junk by hand and blow the rest. I do it this way so as I don't make a bigger mess of the shrubs or beds. Any ideas or thoughts?

Tom
Green Thumb
Lawn Service

LAWNGODFATHER
12-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Welcome to Lawn Site.

That thread has been discussed look down there.

http://lawnsite.vbulletinhosting.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=47562&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

awm
12-01-2001, 06:48 PM
boys got different ways. mine is a 200 mph hand held blower
as the back pack just doesnt afford me the balance i need.
without climbing training stay away from steep roofs and
any situation that is at all chancy. sooner or later the unlikely
will happen. i once knew a man that painted towers.
he used double 2by 12 as walkin scafold. i know the young man who watched the surprize an helpless look ih his eyes as the scafold broke and he went down into the middle of a city water
tank. he was his soninlaw. sorry for going on.
make u some exstra but be safe and good luck.

branhamt
12-01-2001, 11:33 PM
Im sorry I blew that search. Flame away!!! :(

Tom

KirbysLawn
12-01-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by branhamt
Im sorry I blew that search. Flame away!!! :(

Tom

"Blew", no pun right! LOL. Just make sure you are insured for it.

SLS
12-02-2001, 12:18 AM
I used to blow 'em out with a blower too but got tired of the mess in the beds and bushes.

Went to Lowes and bought a Ryobi RGBV3100 which is a 31cc 2-Cycle Mulching Blower/Vacuum. It has a removable zippered bag on it. The neat thing about it is it converts from blower to vacuum with the flick of a lever! $120.00.

Now I just walk the edge of the roof (providing it is not too steep) and just suck 'em up mulched into the bag. The thing works great in small beds and in tight areas that the mower can't get...corners, steps, etc. Doing gutters with it is the quickest and easiest money I've made all year. :D

No mess in beds and bushes, dump the bag in the yard along with the rest of the leaves and polish the lawn off with the Lazer.

leeslawncare
12-02-2001, 02:50 AM
Gutter are great good fast$$ provided your insurance covers you?I can get on a roof top with my redd maxx 6200 an bout clean them out as fat as it took me to unload the ladder an get on the roof ...quick cash !.....but you gotta be carefull.....don't fall off.Latter..Lee:blob4:

awm
12-02-2001, 08:54 AM
sls mine can convert also and i do it that way at times .
that does cost them more tho. kinda depends on the lay out
of the home. now i understand that ryhobi blower ive seen at lowes. sounds like theyve made the coversion easier.
i have a back up ryobi trimmer that works fine . i hate to work on it tho and my mechanic wont either.all that means is we are not ryobi mechanics. later now

SLS
12-02-2001, 11:50 AM
awm:

Yeah, its got a lever that you turn to convert it...even while it is running. That's it.

The thing I like about it is when the bag gets full you can just switch it to "blow", walk over to a spot in the lawn you are going to mulch with the mower, unzip the bag, and then switch it back to vacuum...it clears the bag in seconds. Plus it is already mulched up. :D

I like it for clearing narrow flower beds too. Just unzip the bag and it sucks 'em up and discharges the mulched leaves out into the grass....if you keep the thing pointed in the right direction.

Best use is for those windy days. I hate 'blowing' a bed out just to have a gust of wind fill it up with leaves again before I can hop on the Lazer and shred them. :(

Ah...the joys of being solo.......

awm
12-02-2001, 03:39 PM
sls that do sound cool. gonna hafta look at that thing again.
christmas coming. u know.hmm how to drop the hint.
course ive already ask for a hand held tachometer.
they might just decide i aint worthit.later now

jeffex
12-03-2001, 06:47 AM
this yr I have many people asking to clean gutters. I have a 3 piece extension pole [$30 at home depot] I use in my pressure washing business that I converted for cleaning gutters. I bent a piece of metal in a U shape and duck taped it to the pole. Then I taped the hose to fit the contour of the u turn and installed a nozzel on the end. I used a 15 ft hose and installed a flow shut off piece [$2 home depot] to connect to 100 ft hose. I can do a 2story house and never get the ladder out. I use a water blaster nozzel and blast away from the downspout first to keep debris from all running down the spout. Any decent blower will still get the wet leaves out of the bushes when you clean out flower beds. I still get on the roof of 1 story houses but I too old to fall of a 2 story roof . Not worth the money!