PDA

View Full Version : Grubs, Grubs, Grubs

Lasko's Lawn Service
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Have a client who had a lot of grubs last year in her lawn....very dry summer in NW PA...coons or opposums ripped up the grass to eat them....very messy....anyway wasn't sure if i should put down a grub killer now or mid summer or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ATVracer
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Wait until June. The grubs you are targeting will not hatch until late summer anyway.

Happy Frog
04-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Does this apply to Florida?
I dug a hole in my yard the other day and found some big sized white grubs. Since here is a mole problem in the neighborhood, I was thinking about treating my yard now as well.

Marcos
04-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Wait until June.

ATV's right.

Of course, in less than a month from now, you're going to hear retail-type ads from Bayer.... and Scott's "professional":laugh: Ashton Ritchie, sounding the pre-mature "grub alarm"...so they can gain their respective market-shares, retail-wise, before their competition !

It's a crying shame :cry: that their retail following no doubt apply the products way too early...and have the breakthroughs to show for it !!

...and of course the "newbie" lawn care guy hears this bulls*** on the radio, and thinks it's common practice from the get-go !

Whitey4
04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Wait until June. The grubs you are targeting will not hatch until late summer anyway.

Why June? I agree, first instar larvae are the target, and they will hatch in PA in the late summer... so why apply in June? The 4th and 5th instar grubs are tougher to kill in the spring, require a higher dose of pesticide, and those that survive (and there will be some) will lay eggs that produce a more pesticide resistant offspring.

My plan revolves around watching for flying adults. As soon as the population begins to dominish, then apply. Eggs will hatch two weeks after being laid. Those are the target, and it's late summer... not June. I look at mid to late July at the earliest. The caveat is I have a sandy loam that leaches pretty fast, so timing and residuals are important. I'd rather be a bit late than too early.

Stillwater
04-11-2008, 07:31 PM
everybody hear is an expert

Whitey4
04-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Hear hear! Or is that Here here! ?

Marcos
04-11-2008, 07:39 PM

...but not necessarily spelling experts, apparently ! :rolleyes:

Runner
04-11-2008, 07:52 PM
I think when he said June, he was aiming for more around the end of June,...and speaking about imidicloprid, which would be about the right timing. you want it down in the soil when these eggs start to hatch.

Stillwater
04-12-2008, 12:50 AM
If only you guys could see the flashing neon sign on my back that says my spelling sucks.

Happy Frog
04-12-2008, 01:15 AM
OK, so here is my dilemma: is there any other lawn damaging insects who would need to be treated sooner than June?
For instance, I have also mole crickets and all kind of other bugs in my yard. What should I do? Wait for June or spray now?

Stillwater
04-12-2008, 03:09 AM
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubs/PDF/L414.pdf