PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FG 300D stalling

BLAZERBRUCE
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I am working on an FG 300D Kawasaki engine. The engine is hard to start and run above a low idle unless I adjust the choke or restrict the air intake. The carb was pulled apart and flushed. If the I close the Idle screw on the top of the engine it stalls so I dont think it is clogged, and I can see fuel spurting out of the venture in the front of the carb. Any suggestions?? Theres plenty of fuel going to the carb, and all the parts I removed and cleaned u can see thru the ports.

Engine # 093547
Code # FG300D-BS12

Im wondering if part number 92063 is creating my troubles and if the port on it needs to opened up a bit.

92064, 49121 and ports for 16014 appear to have no blockage.

~Bruce

Restrorob
04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Bruce,

If this engine has been running fine up till now I wouldn't try opening 92063 (main jet). Now, On the very tip of 92064 (pilot jet) there is a super small port. I use a bristle from a hand wire brush to make sure it's open.

Did you use carb & choke spray cleaner and compressed air to clean this carb ?

Since this is a fixed high speed jet carb have you tried running it with the air filter on ?

Also, With this being a older "L" head engine have you performed a compression or cylinder leak-down test ?

Sorry for all the questions but the info could be helpful.....

BLAZERBRUCE
04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Apperntly I still had a clog in part 16035. I flushed the carb with choke cleaner and compressed air again. Their was no additional debris pouring out of other carb parts.

All venturies sprayed choke cleaner with air fed thru 92064 opening. I installed a new air filter and the engine started up easily, but I had to block all but one port on the air cleaner cover to get the engine to run smooth above a low idle.

Refilled the fuel tank and added fuel injector cleaner and ran for about 1/2 hour to cleanup left over leafs. So far the engine is showing additional progress, starting to get a richer mixture. I hope after the fuel runs thru, any other blockage will break loose. Figure if the engine starts to act like the choke is on, I will unblock the other ports on the aircleaner cover and see how it runs on its own.

You mentioned 92064, from what I remember when cleaning it, their was 3 holes wrapped around it. I dont recall another hole on the tip of it. If this piece is slightly rotated it cuts the fuel and shuts the engine down.

I have not performed any compression or cylinder leak down tests.

Thanks,

Bruce

BLAZERBRUCE
04-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Heres an image to help for quick reference.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/KWE/2/IMAGES/278.Gif

Restrorob
04-12-2008, 07:44 PM
You mentioned 92064, from what I remember when cleaning it, their was 3 holes wrapped around it. I dont recall another hole on the tip of it. If this piece is slightly rotated it cuts the fuel and shuts the engine down

Did you notice the tapper on the end of this pilot jet ? This is so it will seat to the mating surface down in the bottom of this port area in the carb body.

Air fuel mix enters the three holes around the outside of this jet and exits through the small hole in the tip I mentioned, Then into the low speed circuit within the carb body. Loosening this pilot jet while running raises it off the seating surface and lets too much mixture enter the low speed circuit thus shutting the engine down.

BLAZERBRUCE
04-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I took a look at 92064, and I finnaly noticed the really small hole on the tappered end. Held it to a light and it was clear, even shot another round of choke cleaner in it and the carb where it seats. The engine is still running about the same, infact its in the backyard idleing to get more of the injector cleaner thru it.

With all the vacuum artificaly created blocking the aircleaner, I wonder if another passage internaly in the carb is blocked. When I squirted carb cleaner where 92064 seats, the fluid made it back to the float blowel area thru 49121. I also watched it clearly squirt thru 16014's jet. With air added to the equation, their was spray from the 2jets side by side near the 16014 jet in carb. Maybe those 2 jets are slightly blocked?
There is jet towards the front of the carb I assume connects to 92064 for the air mixture, and the choke cleaner passed thru it.

Thanks again for all your help,

Bruce

Restrorob
04-12-2008, 10:52 PM
How many turns open do you have 16014 ?

rjxj
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Are all the manifold/intake gaskets good?

BLAZERBRUCE
04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I have opened 16014 various settings from close to 3 turns. Close thru 1 turn having the most impact on how the engine runs. The gaskets on the carb are in good shape, cleaned them off before replacing.

BLAZERBRUCE
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Today I ran the engine with the air filter removed. When I would rev the engine part number 49121 would squirt large amounts of fuel into the carb, but the fuel mixture blows back out of the carb. When I closed the choke about 90% the fuel would get sucked into the engine and run smooth. Maybe my issue isn't the carb?

~Bruce

Restrorob
04-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Maybe my issue isn't the carb?

Well Bruce,

That's very possible, That's why I inquired about a compression/leak-down test in my first post.

If the rings/cylinder/valve seats or guides are worn the engine may not have enough compression to pull the fuel through the carb and into the cylinder.

The fact that it's blowing fuel back out of the carb is a sign that the intake valve may have a worn guide letting it rock in the seat or just not sealing properly.

The best test for this is the leak-down because it will show any sign of a valve not seating along with ring condition as where a compression test may not show this as accurately.

BLAZERBRUCE
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Im going to see what I can do about getting the equipment for a compression/leak down test. In theory somewhere buried in the garage is a gauge for it :hammerhead: If I do have a leak, I'll pull the head for inspection. This engine is powering number 2 in the fleet of leaf blowers, one almost complete on the restroation, and this one (little wonder #9008KW) needing a quick coat of paint and a little engine work. If the engine is in fact getting tired, I'll debate on what I wanna do with the engine, as for now it is running exceptionaly well and responsive with the air cleaner modified to create the extra vacuum. When all else fails, I'll make a perminate solution for the air filter cover.

Thanks for all your help,

~Bruce