PDA

View Full Version : so i landed my first job

executive property maintenance
04-11-2008, 08:12 PM
12 yards of mulch edgeing and mowing for the season im pumped:weightlifter: but my question is is it unreasonable to collect a deposit for materials now and the remainder of the bill upon completion of the job

cspaugh
04-11-2008, 08:16 PM
:drinkup:not at all unreasonable, I would recomend it

Whitey4
04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Personally, I don't ask for a deposit. If I buy materials, and they cancel, I can use it on another account. New customers are a little, just a little risky, but I've always gotten paid.

I walked away from a new account today... the place hasn't had a dollar put into it in ten years. I can smell a non-payer a mile away.

A to Z lawn care
04-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Personally, I don't ask for a deposit. If I buy materials, and they cancel, I can use it on another account. New customers are a little, just a little risky, but I've always gotten paid.

I walked away from a new account today... the place hasn't had a dollar put into it in ten years. I can smell a non-payer a mile away.

haha just do what i do if i rake someones leaves, shovel there snow and they skip me i just put it all back and spread it all out o! and sometimes i bring some from other jobs too!! haha oh and if theyt skip me when im doing grass i take all the grass and put it on their porch and ""accidently "" weedwack the whole lawn until its practicly dirt! hahaha! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

rcracer
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
congrats on your first customer! :usflag:

04-11-2008, 09:18 PM
well if i have 12 yard s of mulch delivered i cant take it back:cry:

Whitey4
04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
well if i have 12 yard s of mulch delivered i cant take it back:cry:

True dat, if your volume isn't high... in which case, a deposit would be wise to ask for... at least cost of materials.

Jb3NH
04-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey there young man congradulations.

First, just keep that relationship with your customer open. It would be financially risky.. Why not just collect the money for the mulch right up front. Its give 'n take. On my first job, and this maybe unprofessional, but.. i'm couldn't afford to hit on 12 yards.. i just had the customer pay the driver and called it good.

fool32696
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I require 50% down to schedule landscape work.

FTGUprprtyMaint
04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
i just put a patio in for a lately and asked for half up front, shes didn't hesitate at all and handed me cash

ffemtmcd
04-12-2008, 11:00 AM
50% down seems to be the norm around here. I've built decks, fences, and some retaining walls and not one person ever scoffed about the money down. Especially with being a "new" business and not having much "free capital" to spend.

04-12-2008, 02:46 PM
thanks for your help folks im meeting him in the morning and we will see what he says. by the way what would you all have charged not much edging about 1 hours worth. about 25% of the mulch is on a steep hill the rest is bacically flat

KCLandscape
04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
So what are you charging for 12 yds? What kind of mulch?

04-12-2008, 06:11 PM
its red mulch ya that would help to know. not enough $900

04-12-2008, 06:12 PM
well i charged $1000 but my ad said 10% off first service

KCLandscape
04-12-2008, 09:10 PM
At least your pricing is right

04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
haha what does that mean atleast your pricing is right r u being sarcastic

JustAGlimpseLawnCare
04-13-2008, 12:25 PM
If they are unwilling to put the money up to pay for materials, consider signing a contract, which says basically that you are going to purchase the materials and that if they do not cancel before you place the order that they will be responsible to compensate you for the cost of the materials. Just a thought, although your best bet would be to give them a quote for the materials and then ask for a deposit in that amount that would be refundable if they cancel before you order the materials. No risk there.

04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
well i went there this morning the wife was there first time i meet her. so i hand her the invoice as i do she say do yu need me to sign something? i say yes if you want to review it. she looks at for id say 2 seconds and say come on in ill get my check book $$$$ payuppayup easy as that.

PatriotLandscape
04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
12 yards of mulch edgeing and mowing for the season im pumped:weightlifter: but my question is is it unreasonable to collect a deposit for materials now and the remainder of the bill upon completion of the job

You should always ask for a deposit if you need to purchase materials. It reduces your exposure and adds credibility to your company. Good luck and always get the money.