PDA

View Full Version : mixed wrong amount

teejet
04-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I sprayed some "weed be gone max" on my lawn today. I used a 2 gal sprayer that I thought was a 3 gal. till I mixed it. Label called for 2 oz. per gallon, I put about 4 oz. per gallon in. It will be ok won't it. Also it was windy as hell. stuff dried as fast as you could spray it. Does that make it not work as good?

tremor
04-11-2008, 10:17 PM
The rapid drying is no problem. The fact you were 33% heavy might stress sensitive grasses like bent grass & fine fescue but the rest of the lawn should be fine so long as you didn't soak the heck out of it.

Jason Rose
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
For future reference, avoid spraying such herbicides in the WIND. Drift from where you are spraying can injure and even kill plants many feet from where you are spraying. If you kill or injure your neghibors roses it may be a bad day... Not to mention how much chemical you end up getting on yourself when spraying in the wind. Just not good practice.

RigglePLC
04-12-2008, 04:30 PM
How much did you use? Did you say you put in 4 ounces per gallon. For 3 gallons that is 12 ounces. I hope you are insured. Did you spot spray or hold the wand steady or wave the wand back and forth? How many sqft did you cover with your 3 gal solution?

Wind is risky, because it blows back on your pants and your face, not to mention potential injury to flowers and bushes. Rapid drying is not good--if it crystalizes on the foliage it can no longer be absorbed. What are ingredients in "Weed-b-gone Max"? Does it have carfentrazone? Quinclorac? Could be a hot mix. Hope it works out OK. Study the chapter on calibration, LOL!

teejet
04-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I used 8 oz all together, in 2 gal sprayer. Just tinkering in my own lawn. I don't know whats in it I think 14 percent methyl something or 24d. I don't know.

teejet
04-12-2008, 05:49 PM
O ya, I covered about 3k sq ft. w/ the two gallon. Waved the wand back and forth, and hit the 2000 dandelions heavy.

RigglePLC
04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
So you used about 2.7 ounces per 1000 sqft. And the product was only 14 percent active. No problem IMHO. Let us know what happened.

Mscotrid
04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
It's idiots like you that give this industry a negative opinion. I have never seen a label say anything about mixing a herbicide by the gallon. It always show active per acre or 1000sq ft. A true Lawnman does not use or buy Weed-B-Gone, go too a reputable distributor and ask and learn about the herbicides on the market.

I suggest you stick to mowing from here on out. if you decide to play with pesticides at least educate yourself

dishboy
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
It's idiots like you that give this industry a negative opinion. I have never seen a label say anything about mixing a herbicide by the gallon. It always show active per acre or 1000sq ft. A true Lawnman does not use or buy Weed-B-Gone, go too a reputable distributor and ask and learn about the herbicides on the market.

I suggest you stick to mowing from here on out. if you decide to play with pesticides at least educate yourself

You sure educated him, good job turbo.

Jason Rose
04-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I sprayed some "weed be gone max" on my lawn today.

I think you guys have gone way off the charts beating on this guy. He clearly stated that it was HIS lawn he had sprayed.

Home center chemicals don't usually list a "ai per 1,000 sq. ft." on the label, they just say to mix X ounces per gallon and apply X gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. Same thing, but simplified terms. Yes, if you do compare the ai. concentration in the product in question, to a "professional" product, and divide it out over the area covered, then it's actually close to what should have been applied, as was already pointed out.

I think doing the application in the wind was worse than the actual mixing of the chemical "too strong"

humble1
04-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I think you guys have gone way off the charts beating on this guy. He clearly stated that it was HIS lawn he had sprayed.

Home center chemicals don't usually list a "ai per 1,000 sq. ft." on the label, they just say to mix X ounces per gallon and apply X gallons per 1,000 sq. ft. Same thing, but simplified terms. Yes, if you do compare the ai. concentration in the product in question, to a "professional" product, and divide it out over the area covered, then it's actually close to what should have been applied, as was already pointed out.

I think doing the application in the wind was worse than the actual mixing of the chemical "too strong"

Yup, what you said

teejet
04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
thanks jason rose appreciate it:weightlifter:

44DCNF
04-15-2008, 12:52 PM
For Mscotrid, here you go. RU product as well as home owner, may very well say to mix x ounces per gallon, for spot spraying.

Here is an example of Momentum FX;
Targeted Zone Applications or Spot Treatment Using Portable Sprayers: Mix 1.1 to 1.5 ounces of this product in
enough water to make one gallon of spray and apply at any time broadleaf weeds are actively growing. Target plants
should be sprayed to wet but not beyond point of runoff.

An excerpt from one of Orthos Weed B Gone Max products;
Coverage Area
Hardy Lawns (bluegrass, fescue, perennial, ryegrass, and Zoysia) - 2oz (4Tbs) to 1 gallon water covers 500 sq. ft.

Sensitive Lawns (bentgrass, bahia, and bermuda (DO NOT use on St.Augustine/Floratam grass or centipede grass) ) - 1 oz (2Tbs) per 1 gallon water covers 500 sq. ft.